Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

chribo
Journeyman III

Blackscreen after driver update @ HD Radeon 7700

Hey community,

I've got a very recent problem with the HD Radeon 7700. It's not my own PC so I got not 100% of the information you guys may need (see below)

The PC got a blackscreen in the middle of gaming - after a reboot you can see that Windows is starting (Windows 7), but after that the screen is blank.

Blank as in the display is still on, but black. You can tell there are some processes happening in the back.

I tried a lot, but still didn't get a solution to that problem.

What I did was:

System Fixes provided by microsoft, i.e. chkdsk, sfc-scan, Boot-Repair-Disk, Windows Repair-Tools

Re-Install Win 7 with the newest driver & WSUS Offline

Re-Install Win 7 with an older driver version & WSUS Offline

(^ these two also with Windows Updates Online)

Install Windows 10 and Online Updates including the graphics driver

Is there anything left I could try?

As long as I dont update the drivers for the graphics card, the PC will boot normally. After an update, it stays blank.

To explain it in easy words: When you boot the PC you can see it is booting windows, but after that it looks like someone unplugged the connection cable (but the screen stays on)

Is anyone else experiencing this?

If I missed any information, please ask & I'll tell you.

Regards!

0 Likes
2 Replies
kiwinadians
Adept II

You are unfortunately in good company, as this seems to be a common thread with the Pitcairn and other southern Isles based devices from the period. It seems to be power-related, but no solutions have been found yet.

Please check out the thread here: Black Screen When Installing 17.12.2 Drivers HD 7870 Win 7  for the 7870 and some R9 devices.

I've tried almost everything, even flashing a R9 270x bios onto my HD7870 to see if I could override power profiles and get it to work, but so far nothing. Reinstalling windows does nothing, and some users here and elsewhere have even tried reverting to Windows 7 and 8.1 to the same effect. This makes me think we might be involved in some similar fiasco to what happened a few years ago, where drivers were killing cards left and right.

The only step I haven't yet tried is reflowing the solder on my card (either by baking or heat gun), as this is a last resort.

Come check out what we've been trying in that other forum post.

0 Likes

I've responded on the above link as well, though it isn't really specific to the 17.12.2 driver, so that title actually diverts from the real problem.

0 Likes