cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tempaccount156
Journeyman III

AMD Software Uninstaller Frozen, Won't Close.

I clicked Stop Uninstallation and now it says Please wait while the current package uninstallation is finishing up

, but it shows no signs of actually doing anything especially since its done absolutely nothing for 2 hours. I really don't know what to do anymore. Should I wait and it'll eventually fix it? I have no idea really.

I ran the AMD Software Uninstaller from the control panel in safe mode (windows 10) (Im doing this to reinstall drivers and fix error 1603) and after going quickly for the first half, the progress bar has been stuck at the same pixel

for over an hour. The drivers broke when my internet died while updating the drivers.

Here is what the error was

. It said that it was partially installed. Does anyone know why this is happening and what I should do about it? Also, what happens if I cancel uninstalling? Will it screw up ym computer or the drivers? Should I try using DDU? Thanks.

This is the guide I used exactly. The program isn't completely broken, it still has scrolling ads and I can interact with it, and Windows works, but the progress bar is completely static and nothing has happened for well over an hour. What I really want to know is if I'll mess up my computer more by cancelling the uninstaller and what I should try after (if) I do.

GPU: MSI RX480 8GB

DRIVERS: Before the error I had 17.12.2 installed, then I tried to install 18.3.1 I believe.

0 Likes
1 Reply

Go into Task Manager (Ctrl+ALT+DEL) and stop the installation process (End Task). This will stop the installation. Now you are going to need to run DDU in safe mode and hopefully it will delete the Partial installation and fix the registry entries. After rebooting, go to Device Manager and see what Driver is displayed under "Display Adapter". If it still is AMD. Go back and run DDU in safe mode again.

After rebooting, Go to Control Panel under "Programs and Features" and check to be sure there isn't any AMD software installed. If there is, try uninstalling it. Then follow this basic installation process:

Try this basic method of uninstalling and reinstalling AMD Drivers.

First download the correct Full AMD driver set from AMD Support for your Computer.

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update (including Optionals).

Disconnect the Internet from your computer to prevent it from installing a different GPU Driver than the one you are installing.

Use Windows 10 Uninstall to uninstall all AMD Drivers and software. Then use DDU in safe mode to completely eliminate all traces of the old AMD drivers and software related to the GPU.

Delete C:\AMD Folder. This prevents New and Old AMD driver files from installing and corrupting the installation process.

After rebooting from DDU, Reinstall the new AMD Full set of drivers. If it installed correctly, again delete C:\AMD folder to save Hard Disk space and reconnect to the Internet.