cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

mwnelson
Journeyman III

Am I asking too much from my Radeon 7800?

Have been using the 7800 with a two monitor display. Everything works OK. Decided to add a third monitor for internet TV.  It works, however, at times there is a slight stutter on the TV monitor. How do I determine if I'm taxing the 7800 or my CPU or my ISP? Optimistically awaiting your help...

Radeon Software Version - 17.7.2

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson ReLive

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Memory Size - 2048 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 920 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz

0 Likes
7 Replies

generally a TV is not as good as a LCD for display, stick to using 2 panels which is more in tune with the design of the HD 7800 series.

Try the TV by itself and see if the card works better as there may be some issues with syncing the timings

0 Likes

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified that all three displays are Samsung 27”, 27” and 24” LCD displays. I will use only one output to the TV LCD display to check for issues.

Do you think this is a graphics card limitation or CPU or ISP download limitation?

Optimistically,

0 Likes

an i5 is probably not able to cope with 3 panels very well

the new ryzen processors are better suited but you need a higher end model to run 3 panels

0 Likes

When talking about taxing our gpu or cpu watch your utilization on each. Many utilities will do this. Task manager is built into windows, and your radeon overlay will show gpu usage.  If you are at 100% or near usage on either, that's likely your answer. If not maybe you do have just a bandwidth issue from your ISP. If you are on wireless don't rule out that you may just have some interference from others on the same channel. That can degrade performance a lot. Lots of apps for phones to check channel saturation on your wifi.

0 Likes

It's quite possible with that 2GB of VRAM as things are having to be paged. What does GPUz show the memory usage is?

0 Likes

Hey Everyone,

THANK you for your replies/suggestions! Through a process of elimination, I believe it’s a bandwidth issue. I was planning on an upgrade anyway. So, we’ll see…

THANKS again!

0 Likes

The AMD Ryzen use PCI Express 3.0 which is faster to handle high bandwidth workloads

I suggest the faster processors to be sure the logic can keep up

DDR4 comes in bigger 8GB and 16GB sticks

0 Likes