Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amdnut
Journeyman III

AM4 socket disassembling

Hi there.

Does anybody know how to disassembling the AM4 socket on motherboard? After the wrong installing CPU the mobo did not starts. I think that something with the socket.

0 Likes
7 Replies

Hello there,

Ill be glad to aid you with your socket problem.

• Did you install an AMD AM4 CPU cooler on your AMD Ryzen cpu please?
  • This is a known issue that the cpu cooler for the AMD AM4 socket require a different cpu cooler bracket and is also known to cost money.
  • The AM4 bracket size difference has been kept to an absolute minimum for that no noticeable change effect for the end user.
  • We hope we cant continue to use AMD products in the exciting future.
0 Likes

No, I did not install cooler. Only the CPU was install.

0 Likes

When you tried to install the wrong CPU it may have shorted out the CPU socket or motherboard or damaged the CPU Socket. I don't believe the CPU socket on any Motherboard is meant to be disassembled . It is hardwired into the Motherboard.

Normally, it the CPU is the wrong type it won't drop down inside the socket. If you tried to force it you probably damaged the socket or the CPU.

Unless I misread your Post about the CPU.

If your Motherboard does have a socket with a plastic guide cover, removing it won't do much good. It is impossible to repair the actual contacts on the socket unless you have specialized equipment to work in very tiny areas.

If, by chance, the plastic guide cover is damaged, you would need to replace it from another same type of Motherboard to make it fit. I doubt if they sell those plastic socket guides separately unless maybe you get one from the Motherboard's manufacturer.

0 Likes

Hi man, can you take some pictures of your cpu, try to show us the issue and the way that is assembled, i´m confused with your issue.

0 Likes
skorpn
Journeyman III

All of these sockets can be disassembled ever since the very first day they were created. They are only snap on parts because the pins need to be inspected and tested before they are covered with the sliding plastic cover. The video showed you how to remove it already, so you answered your own question, lol.

They even sell the socket individually for people who have damaged their sockets, and lots of people buy them to protect CPU shipments as well. Below is just one link to buy a replacement AM4 socket from Foxconn.

1pcs* Foxconn Socket AM4 CPU Base Connector Holder Base | eBay

Your warranty, if you had any to begin with, is now voided...