LIGHTNING RETURNS: FF XIII corrupt hair texture R9 285/380/X Windows 7

The problem is with the game "LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII"

The problem is a texture corruption with the main character's hair:

A picture from a gameplay of mine:

LRFF13_2018_03_28_04_21_03_148.png

A picture from a Steam user (godsun):

yTX6aTB.jpg

The problem occurs when it's possible to control the main character,

from my testing it occurs on Windows 7,Vista and XP Operating systems (DX9 API)

The problem doesn't occur on Windows 10.

Only Tonga GPU's are affected by the problem:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/345350/discussions/0/451848854989146551/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/345350/discussions/0/487876568223794501/ (There is one user with a R9 Fury that had that problem,The rest are Tonga GPU owners)

The problem occurred in all driver versions i tested.

Specs:

Monitor: AOC E2270SWHN @60Hz 1920x1080

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 2.0) BIOS Version: FD

PSU: CWT PUQ750V-B 750W Bronze

CPU: AMD FX 8320E@4.2GHz

RAM: 16GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9/8G *2

GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon™ R9 380 4G D5 with back plate

Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 + Windows 10 (Dual boot)

Drivers Tested: 16.3 , 16.11.5 , 17.3.1 , 17.3.2 , 17.8.1 , 17.12.2 , 18.3.2 , 18.3.4 .

I would like to thank anyone that helps,

Best regards,

Hybrid.

0 Likes
11 Replies
plumboby
Miniboss

if it doesn't occur using 10 run with 10. Simple solution anything on 7 is outdated trash in my eyes all builds & repowers with upgrades get 10 on them as they are the most upto date drivers which run the most stable with older games & new. Before any hate on 10 I using on all my stepsons gaming builds & most on old gen i3s way under powered 1 is lacking ram playing games they shouldn't. In all honesty run 10 for gaming just disable any tracking & powersaving features & you wont run into issues from a !0 user for since in beta before was first released. I been working with 10 on all my builds without issues tho the odd minor bug tho comes to knowing your OS & your build.

0 Likes

Thank you for the answer,

Unfortunately, It's no solution at all.

Windows 7 has a big slice of the market share pie,those who still didn't install Windows 10 3 years after it's release,

Probably won't install it in the near future,

And this is a tiny Driver to OS mismatch.

0 Likes

Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 + Windows 10 (Dual boot)

If you have Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 installed on the same computer and the game works fine in Windows 10 why do you want to run the game in Windows 7?

0 Likes

Disable "fast start" with dual boot systems > Windows 10 Fast Startup could be detrimental to your computer

"Enabled by default on most clean installations of Windows 10, Fast Startup essentially hibernates the Windows kernel and loaded drivers to help slash startup times. It all sounds great, but Fast Startup may not be quite as good as you think. Not only can it seriously mess up dual-boot systems, it may also interfere with the installation of updates, and could cause problems with encryption software."

power options

available options

fast startup

Already off...

There is no reason for it to be the culprit anyway.

It's a driver issue,only AMD can help with it,the problem does not exist on other GPU's,only Tonga.

It works perfectly fine with the old HD 6750 i have laying around,

THE PROBLEM ONLY OCCUR WITH TONGA GPU'S ON WINDOWS 7

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

I think Win7 DX has not been updated in years hence newer games can be a problem. I doubt they even test games on Win7 any more.   

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

they dont test on 7 anymore all gone 10. If you need to any1 with valid 7  installed are still entitled to use there keys on 10 & still work on 10 for the free upgrade. I still use 7 keys for 10 upgrades.

0 Likes
hybrid
Adept III

Bump

0 Likes

Upgrade to Windows 10, the lack of Dx11 updates and the missing Dx12 feature around Win7, doesn´t make the fix´s easy and btw eventually AMD will drop the support for Win7, probably before the MS support end time like they do with Win8/8.1, so why is the interest in Win7, its old now...

0 Likes
locodicegr
Miniboss

My suggestion is to do a clean format of your SSD/HDD and install only Windows 10 and update all your drivers.

Also install Adrenalin 18.3.4.

I have R9 380 with no problems.

You clearly didn't read what i wrote.

0 Likes