cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

northpalmguy
Journeyman III

AMD GPIO Issue Preventing Linux Installation

I have been attempting to install Linux Mint 18.3 onto my laptop for some time now, but each time I have run into the same error message. I am able to get through the initial boot to the loading menu to boot the kernel, but then I run into my issue. This is what I get:

amd_gpio AMD0030:00 Failed to get gpio IRQ

I have installed Ubuntu and other Linux distro's onto other laptops with AMD processors and graphics before with no issue. I have attempted to try using other distro's on this laptop, but I have the same issue with them.

System Specs (if it helps):

Model: HP Envy x360 Convertible 15m-bq0xx

Processor: AMD FX-9800P

Graphics: Radeon R7

BIOS Mode: UEFI

For the IRQ, I looked it up. It has IRQ7 Shared between the AMD GPIO Controller and the Synaptic SMBus Driver

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
5 Replies
nomadjackalope
Journeyman III

I am getting this same error using Elementary OS with kernel 4.15rc7 and 4.15rc8 but not with 4.4 or 4.14.

System

Model: HP Envy x360 Convertible 15-bq100

Processor: AMD Ryzen 2500U

BIOS Mode: UEFI

Edit: ​I am getting the error with 4.14 but the laptop does complete booting.

0 Likes
nomadjackalope
Journeyman III

Because I had a working version I did journalctl -b1 to view previous boot logs. It showed I didn't have Raven firmware. I got that from https://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/raven/​. I am not sure if that is safe but I put it in /libs/firmware/amdgpu/ and then update-initramfs -u to update the boot image to include the firmware. This is probably different since you don't have Raven Ridge.

I couldn't view previous boot logs so I followed dma_k's instructions in the first answer of this post How to find previous boot log after Ubuntu 16.04 restarts? - Ask Ubuntu

0 Likes

Hello!

I am also experiencing a similar issue with the ryzen HP envy x360.
I am running arch linux and I have kernel 4.15. My computer boots up and runs okay mostly, The touchscreen (ELAN 0732 driver in windows) is not recognized by wacom drivers, I cannot find it in lspci or libwacom-list-local-devices. I was wondering if it is related to GPIO error messages I get while booting up.

I am aware AMD is working on ryzen support in coming kernels, was just wondering what I could expect from future releases and if my touchscreen issues are related to chipset support.

0 Likes

I filed a bug report for Ubuntu [1] about the touch screen issue.

[1] Bug #1752437 “[HP ENVY x360 - 15-bq102ng] Touchscreen does not w...” : Bugs : linux package : Ubuntu

0 Likes
tshimulu
Journeyman III

Hello, a patch from upstream Linux kernel addressing the issue is available. By this time, your distribution should update the kernel with that fix.

0 Likes