cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

fuzzmunky
Adept I

Ongoing freesync issues 18.3.4

Freesync is still broken on 18.3.4 with an XFX 580 8gb and a Nixeus Edg27 monitor over DP1.2.

The windmill demo freesync doesn't work (hz cycles between 30hz and 144hz) and is strobing heavily. On the g-sync demo freesync works (how ironic) but there is a lot of strobing. In game (PUBG) freesync does not work. All of this works perfectly in 17.11.4

Time to get your act together AMD. This has gone on far too long. Also stop telling us it's fixed in Patch Release Notes when it clearly isn't.

9 Replies
locodicegr
Miniboss

Update your windows 10 -> Use DDU and do a clean install of 18.3.4.

Try another cable even.

0 Likes

I always use ddu and I already tried many cables. Just accept this is a fault in your software as it doesn't happen in 17.11.3 or earlier at all. It started happening with adrenalin and has not been fixed in latest driver despite the release notes saying it has.

0 Likes

My friend with Freesync have no problems...and he is kinda expert in monitors.

So accept the fact that someone else is faulty in your system.

0 Likes

Ok let me spell this out for you with logic.

My freesync goes from working with 17.11.4 to not working with 18.3.4 to working again if I reinstall 17.11.4. Nothing else changes in my system. It is causal not just a correlation.

I can do that multiple times and get repeated results. It cannot be clearer that the software is at fault.

Same issue, with the CFG70 Samsung monitor, and RX 580.

nemaeon
Journeyman III

This happens to me as well, with performance decreases, crashes, and freesync flicker.

It is a driver issue because I currently am using 17.11.1 with my Radeon RX580, because that driver gives me the least amount of problems altogether.

Also, the newer 18+ driver is worse with display detection and has issues resuming my freesync compatible, displayport connected monitor.

I also receive noticeably worse FPS, in games such as PUBG when using the newer version vs. the previous driver with all most recent PUBG release updates.

My only guess up to this point is that the AMD drivers are limited by their freesync range.

So as new monitors release with greater refresh rates, AMD has increased the top level for their freesync range, yet from what I deduce, they also had to increase the lower range in doing so and this may be what has caused us so many issues yet explains why older drivers work.

This is just my subjective, educated guess, that only certain driver versions are more compatible with certain freesync ranges.

gaboros
Adept I

Same here. Just fix at already please. Seems like time to switch to NVidia...

bobbesan
Adept I

Same here, build my Ryzen 7 and Vega 64 to make use of freesync benefits, gaming at 4k.. well seems more and more like a waste.. rly bummed about this..

josh55
Journeyman III

Yep, I've had similar problems. I've had a 75Hz FreeSync monitor for over a year now, and it works fine. I bought a 144Hz monitor 5mths ago, and had so much trouble with it, even tried to return it under warranty. Then listed it for sale, and bought a different 144Hz FreeSync monitor. First day it was great, but then today it's gone so bad. Turned off FreeSync, and it works great.

Looks like my next GPU will be Nvidia, and I'll stop wasting my time with this buggy gimmick.

0 Likes