cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pleasegivehelp
Journeyman III

Black Screen - NEED FAST FIX

On my lenovo desktop, when I attempt to install any date/type of AMD driver, my screen goes black, and if i install them in safe mode, i cannot boot into normal mode without getting a black screen issue

Im on a lenovo desktop with a 6850 AMD Radeon HD GPU.

This has been happening since i started using a new set of headphones, even now if I stop using them, i can only boot into safe mode or when i have windows basic display adapter on. It did not come prebuilt with the lenovo and I really need to get my issue fixed

I attempted to install an older version of the driver from 2016 but it still didnt work. my resolution is messed up and im confused what to do, I dont think its a hardware issue as it just happened randomly.

Thanks for the help in advance - Landon

Here are all necessary specs provided with Speccy : Screenshot - 1d04cd7dbce8e62b75bfd9eaa0d08967 - Gyazo

0 Likes
1 Solution

I read from another User that turning off "Freesync" solved the Black screens.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies

This is how to select the correct driver Download Drivers

Your graphics are Legacy...install ONE of these drivers: Legacy

Clean install the driver Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

0 Likes

I still got a black screen

0 Likes

The issue is still persisiting and no matter it seems what driver AI download, i keep getting the black screen.

0 Likes

I read from another User that turning off "Freesync" solved the Black screens.

0 Likes

Windows 10 pro 64bit

CPU:

AMD k10 45nm Technology

RAM: 8.00GB

MotherBoard: ASUSTek M5A97 (AM3r2)

Graphics

ATI AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (XFX Pine Group)

Audio: AMD High Definition audio device       

I Copied your Computer System from the other Thread to this one so other will know what you have installed.

You didn't need to open another Thread. You could have just edited your original post (Left side of the webpage in blue). (-:

You HD6xxx series is considered to be Legacy. AMD doesn't support this card anymore with updated GPU Drivers. The last drivers  are the one you mentioned from 2015/2016.

Try updating your Motherboard's AMD Chipset. I inputted your Motherboard's Chip SB950 and came up to this Chipset to download and install:

Previous AMD Chipset Drivers

​​​​

RAIDXpert Guide

NAMEFILE SIZEREVISION NUMBERRELEASE DATEDOWNLOAD LINK
AMD Chipset Drivers68.8 MB17.401/16/2018*DOWNLOAD
Description:
Supports Windows 10/7

Package Includes:

AMD Chipset Drivers
                           AMD Ryzen™ Balanced Power Plan
                           Support for
                                          Windows 7/10 for 7th Generation AMD A-Series Processors
                                          Windows 7/10 for AMD Ryzen™ desktop processor
                                          Windows 10 only for AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor​
                                          Windows 10 only for AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ AMD X399 Chipset​

0 Likes

If i download that would i still have to update my motherboards chipset?

0 Likes

Your Motherboard's Chip is AMD 970/SB950. 

The last Chipset from Asus was from 09/20/2012 for Windows 8 and 7.

Try installing the latest AMD Chipset and see, if first it does install, and if does install successfully see if it makes any difference.

Also when you uninstall and Reinstall the AMD GPU drivers do the following:

When you reinstall the AMD Drivers do this:

Try this basic method of uninstalling and reinstalling AMD Drivers.

First download the correct Full AMD driver set from AMD Support

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update (including Optionals).

Disconnect the Internet from your computer to prevent it from installing a different GPU Driver than the one you are installing.

Use Windows 10 Uninstall to uninstall all AMD Drivers and software. Then use DDU in safe mode to completely eliminate all traces of the old AMD drivers and software related to the GPU.

Delete C:\AMD Folder. This prevents New and Old AMD driver files from installing and corrupting the installation process.

After rebooting from DDU, Reinstall the new AMD Full set of drivers. If it installed correctly, again delete C:\AMD folder to save Hard Disk space and reconnect to the Internet.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

have you checked your display cables might be signs that could be failing had that before. Another thing is that your card is a legacy card are you using the correct driver package. Another thing whens the last time you checked your PSU might be something more simpler over looked causing the issue. AMD cards get picky on only display cables especially when they get old. Sometimes its not the driver sometime hardware or external related cable wise or something generic plugged in throwing things out sounds weird tho I had it with hign end keyboards & mouses. Its why I run chepo mouse keyboard combos & decent brand headphones.

0 Likes

You mean checking if its loose INSIDE the pc?

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

I agre on pokester estacitc approach is the best for a laptop. Might been nice if you had previously listed if it was a Laptop from the first posting would been easier to diagnose.

0 Likes

Plumboby, where do you get the indication that the OPS is using a laptop?

"Im on a lenovo desktop with a 6850 AMD Radeon HD GPU" with a AMD K10 CPU (Sempron, Athlon, or Phenom).

Lenovo also makes Desktops besides Laptops.  The AMD K10 is a class of CPU that includes Sempron, Athlon and Phenom CPUs.

0 Likes

This was my mistake. I thought I read laptop. Simple error that apparently is a big deal now. Very sorry, I just misread, and was trying to help the OP stay on yours and Kingfish's good advice. Sorry.

0 Likes

Very easy mistake to make. Since most Users here at AMD Forum when they post a question about a Lenovo computer, over 95% of the time it is a laptop and not a desktop. At first I thought the OPS was talking about a Laptop also until I reread it again more closely.

0 Likes

Sorry I just realized it was my mistake you guys were talking about a few minutes ago. I hadn't connected those dots when quickly looking in while at work. It was really just a lack of focus error. I probably shouldn't read this stuff when I can't give it my full attention.

0 Likes

Happens to everybody

I still feel bad about it. But the picture made me LOL! thanks!

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Yeah hes in good hands. Havnt worked on laptops for a bit tho might be an idea to start working on them again, to  keep my hand in it.

0 Likes

If none of the above has solved your problem...it may be beyond your ability.

1. Take your computer to a professional and pay them to fix it.

2. Try a system restore to a time before you installed the headphones.

3. Uninstall any software you installed with the headphones.