cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

duckofdeath
Adept I

The best way to stop the Radeon driver update hijacking the sound?

Is there a simple way to stop AMD hijacking the default sound device every time I update the AMD graphics drivers? It's a nuisance that it automatically switches to the AMD High Definition Audio device during a driver update.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Clean install? Do you have any thing plugged in to the audio? HDMI?

I just did a clean install and check playback devices at each step...when the AMD audio was installed, no change in my default playback device. Which is not AMD High Def.

0 Likes

I have an Asus Motherboard that uses Realtek audio drivers, integrated Audio. But I have my default Audio devices connected via HDMI to my GPU card. When I install a new GPU driver it automatically installs the Audio driver on whatever I have connected to the GPU card. My Sound Panel shows the Monitor and TV as the GPU driver Audio driver and my Realtek Audio driver installed and active but not connected to anything since it isn't "default".

If you have your default Audio devices connected to the AMD GPU card, then AMD Audio is going to install for those Audio devices.

joecrow
Elite

During a "Clean Install" I just wanted to confirm, based on my experience, the response from elstaci​ and add that even when the default device is connected to the HDMI, any Windows audio settings will be ignored, e.g. if normally the default sound device is set for 5.1 it will be reset to Stereo. Also if the default audio device you have chosen, is not connected to the HDMI but some other sound device is then that will indeed hijack the the other one and become a new default.

On the other hand an "Update Install", either via the Radeon Settings update option or a manual download and install on top of an existing version will preserve any/all Radeon settings you have changed and will NOT change the Windows audio setup (default or otherwise.).

To conclude an update install of the drivers will not hijack the default sound device, but BEWARE precisely because a Clean Install does reset everything it can be very useful to set a baseline and is often recommended for troubleshooting various problems.

0 Likes