cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

radeon RX 550 2d speed

Hello,

i had for long time radeon 7750 and used gputweak utility to raise 2d speed to 400 Mhz. Now I pruchased Sapphie RX 550 2 GB which is great card. But has by default only 200 MHz clock in 2d. The desktop runs very well, but if I run some 3d application in window and the gpu is clocked higher it is more smooth.

Do you know any other utility than ClockBlocker that can let me set the frequency for 2d mode (or simply basic frequency) e.g. to 400 MHz ? ClockBlocker just stops the throttling which can be good but makes the card run much hotter. It would be enough for me to have e.g. 400 MHz. Also ClockBlocker runs in realtime with high priority which can harm other applications' performance.

It is big shame, that AMD's Wattman cannot simply set the lowest frequency (within some limits) the same way as it possibly (I do not use it) can change the top frequencies.

AMD makes great GPUs but this is really a problem that should be resolved for their customers. I think that it would not be so hard to do it in the drivers ..... At it would greatly help to those users that demand top performace on their desktop and graphic acceleration of e.g. browser, youtube and Office which usually does not trigger the throttling up but still it is a performance advantage is the frequency can be raised.

Thanks for any hints.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes it works!

I have been able to set State 1 for GPU and for Memory as minimum, and now my card runs at 335/625 MHz on desktop ! (Edge, Explorer, Youtube etc.)

And that is great because although before it worked well, now the microstuttering that I sometimes observed with standard settings is gone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
plumboby
Miniboss

wattman will do it nicely if done right. The RX 550 is a basic graphics card without much oomph. Dont use 3rd party programs to unlock OC the card as will run into issues your better off to use the software provided with AMD driver packages. its simple but a true process any 3rd party crapware will cause issues & wont bring the clock to where you want. I am running a RX560 on standard clocks without issues. Dont need to OC these cards trust me if they are an OC version depending on what your doing with them the frequency these cards run as stock are fine or your trying to clock it wrong.

0 Likes

Thank you for answer.

I do not plan to overclock my card.

But I would like to increase basic frequency (in 2d or small load 3d) that is currently 200 MHz to e.g. 400 MHz. And that is not possible in Wattman or any other utility I know. I utilized GPU tweak for older HD7750, but with this card it is not working and software for this card does not support chaging the clock.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

You can boost your 2D & 3D frequency with wattman done properly prety simple actually. But your card is only a basic card so results may vary differently. Its why I spend a bit more on a bigger better card with an OC frequency so I go a good buffer without needing to buff the frequency.

0 Likes

Thank you - according to your hint I tried to work with Wattman and it seems, that when I set the State 1 as minimum manually (although unable to set State 0), I am able to increase my GPU minimum speed! I will test it further, if this works, it would be great ….

0 Likes

Yes it works!

I have been able to set State 1 for GPU and for Memory as minimum, and now my card runs at 335/625 MHz on desktop ! (Edge, Explorer, Youtube etc.)

And that is great because although before it worked well, now the microstuttering that I sometimes observed with standard settings is gone.

0 Likes

According to suggestions lower I have been able to correct it.

So the current version (18.2.1) of Wattman seems to be able to do what I need.

If it is stable, then thanks to plumboby and also AMD that finally got it right (provide options in own drivers).

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

cool happy to help I only use the official AMD software as its intended for their cards. Anything 3trd party will cause havoc down the line. I only use 3rd party for crapvidia as they arnt open on tuning there cards where I am greatful  since going AMD to have nice inhouse software with the driver packages to support tweaking the cards to suit. Using there proper software has the proper thresholds & inbuilt safety if anything goes wrong resets back to defult if stability is effected where 3rd party doesn't allow that always. I am still on the 18.2.1 drivers with both cards in 2 builds no issues atm & pushing my card without need of OC it yet & its only a RX560Oc 4G. A lot comes to learning the software properly & learning how far you can push you build & knowing the limits & OS comes into play a lot of the time to.

0 Likes

I also use 18.2.1 drivers. The Wattman settings work now OK for me - frequency and memory. Since the fan control does not work reliably on my Sapphire card I use for fan setting Sapphire Trixx utility which is very lightweight and can run minimized in the tray. Seems to work well now in this combination. I also prefer to use official drivers. I do not overclock at all performance is OK for me at standard frequencies.

0 Likes