cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BSOD for months

I have a R7 240 1GB DDR5 card and since three months ago I've been experiencing this problem constantly without any help from AMD support.

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED atikmdag.sys

I even tried the forums, but no one was capable of providing a solution and all they advise me is to reinstall and reinstall, to use DDU as it would fix everything but it won't.

I'd install Crimson as some people suggest, but looks like I'm not able to do that because I receive a "Failure to load detection drive" message.

So what? Am I supposed to lose data and be interrupted while gaming online anytime, because AMD is not capable of fixing it or helping me with it? I spent a long time trying to find a fix or someone who would have the same problem and people were never helped.

Do I really need to get myself an Nvidia card so I won't have this kind of problem?

0 Likes
9 Replies

Hard to say without some important information > INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Like what OS?

Laptop or desktop?

APU?

0 Likes

• AMD Phenom II X6
  • AMD R7 Radeon 1GB GDDR5
  • Mobo: Gigabyte 990 XA UD3
  • Windows 10 64 Bit
  • Adrenaline 18.3.3
  • Monitor: AOC e1621Swb
  • 8 GB RAM DDR3
  • EVGA 600W 80 Plus Bronze

I'm sorry I did it so quickly and didn't insert info... I'm just angry that I lost an important edition I was doing...

0 Likes

Try this basic method of uninstalling and reinstalling AMD Drivers.

First download the correct Full AMD driver set from AMD Support for your Desktop R7-240 GPU Here: Desktop .

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update (including Optionals).

Disconnect the Internet from your computer to prevent it from installing a different GPU Driver than the one you are installing.

Use Windows 10 Uninstall to uninstall all AMD Drivers and software. Then use DDU in safe mode to completely eliminate all traces of the old AMD drivers and software related to the GPU.

Delete C:\AMD Folder. This prevents New and Old AMD driver files from installing and corrupting the installation process.

After rebooting from DDU, Reinstall the new AMD Full set of drivers. If it installed correctly, again delete C:\AMD folder to save Hard Disk space and reconnect to the Internet.

If the latest doesn't work, go to a Previous Driver and follow the same procedure as above.

There are a whole lot of R7 Radeon graphics cards. Please tell us which one you have.

0 Likes

Right in the beginning I said "I have a R7 240 1GB DDR5 card"

0 Likes

What have you been doing during the 3 months this problem has occurred?

I suspect there is another problem here.

Well, just using my PC, of course. Playing, as well. Browsing websites.

Before the last update it took more or less one week without this problem.

0 Likes

What Win10 build ver. (not IP is it ?).

You could also try,

Any win10 driver/update blocks, and is this enabled,

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
locodicegr
Miniboss

Have you consider that its a HARDWARE failure and not a SOFTWARE failure?

Do a clean format of your windows and start fresh.

0 Likes