cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pappabear
Adept I

advice on upgrading from radeon r9 200 series needed

hi i have a desktop which i am happy with and have had for 4 yrs i think. i'm considering upgrading my graphics card from the AMD radeon R9 200 series. problem is i have no clue what i need. i do know i want more than the 2gbyte. and better fps. my card runs fine and plays my games well but would like to have better fps on some games. also im not looking to break the bank. my computer runs this.

CPU Type

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz

Graphics Chipset

AMD Radeon (TM) R9 200 Series,  Memory Type GDDR5 , System Memory 16 GB ,Core Clock 925 MHz. many thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
plumboby
Miniboss

Go with a Brand new PSU decent wattage over estimate wattage as PSUs these days are crap quality even for the good ones dont last like they use to the degrade prety quickly as they get older. Suggest a RX580 if you like your R9 & had a good run go with the RX580 with the 8G Vram will be ample for more of those strenuous newer games to be released in the next few years & if you wanna go freesync or VR later your future proofed. If you dont like it sell your older card to miners to pay for your new card then on sell your new card for miners, win win really. You cant go wrong with AMDs new cards prety damn strong prety good value & preformance comes down to preference & if you have had a good run with AMD as sound like you have.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Is this a prebuilt (hp/dell, etc) small form/full tower pc ?

The app. GPU-Z 'Lookup' should give you exact make/model of card.

Would also need to know mobo make/model, psu make/model/wattage for someone to offer suggestions.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

screen 1.gif

0 Likes

Click on the 'Lookup' button of gpu-z.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

thats an r9 270 its a decent card  u can probably play current aaa title on 1080p low settings im guessing a strong upgrade that i recomend from that gpu is a gtx 1060 6 gb or a rx 580 8 gb so u can have it for another 4 years

Yea it does work fine. I'm just thinking about future proofing a bit. As it's 4 years old now. Thanks for the help.

0 Likes

Also it's a prebuilt hp envy 700.thanks.

0 Likes
brucer
Forerunner

I would highly recommend waiting on a gpu upgrade right now.. some new, much faster, more efficient cards are right around the corner, and when they release you'll be able to get a damn nice upgrade relatively cheap..

plumboby
Miniboss

Go with a Brand new PSU decent wattage over estimate wattage as PSUs these days are crap quality even for the good ones dont last like they use to the degrade prety quickly as they get older. Suggest a RX580 if you like your R9 & had a good run go with the RX580 with the 8G Vram will be ample for more of those strenuous newer games to be released in the next few years & if you wanna go freesync or VR later your future proofed. If you dont like it sell your older card to miners to pay for your new card then on sell your new card for miners, win win really. You cant go wrong with AMDs new cards prety damn strong prety good value & preformance comes down to preference & if you have had a good run with AMD as sound like you have.

Thanks i found this very helpful.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

cool happy to help you seem a happy AMD user as it is happy to give easy advise.

0 Likes

Given your HP system, you probably don't have the OPTION of a power supply upgrade - you might have to settle for a RX 460 (which is somewhat of an upgrade but not a BIG one from the R9 270) to stay within the PS limits.

If you want to future-proof your system, avoid buying the "name brands" in the future, as they have a bad habit of building with "just enough" power supply to support the options THEY make available for the system.

0 Likes