cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

js2
Journeyman III

Black Screen with cursor whenever I make any display changes

Hi, perhaps someone can help me with this...

I have an R9 360 and everytime I make any changes to display settings I end up with a black screen with cursor. The only way to return to a functional system seems to be to pull the power plug from the computer, wait a minute and then restart.

I get the black screen with cursor whenever I:

Win Key + P to switch, duplicate or extend displays

Change the display resolution on any display

Attempt to update GPU drivers or software

Hot plug another display

Windows and the BIOS are up to date. I've tried updating the AMD drivers but this ends up giving me a black screen with cursor before completing, then I have to pull the plug so the update never completes.

AMD settings no longer seems to work either - right click the desktop, left click AMD settings and the windows blue circle progress ring appears briefly but AMD settings never opens. Running AMD settings as administrator also doesn't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution to this problem?

Many Thanks

Jon

PC is a HP Envy 750 297na, i7-6700 at 3.4 GHz, 16GB RAM, Win 10 home

Since I cant open AMD settings I cant find the AMD software version number.

My main display is a Matrox Triple head running at 3840 x 1024 pixels - connected to the DVI port, and the secondary display is a basic monitor running at 1280 x 768 connected to the HDMI port.

0 Likes
7 Replies
plumboby
Miniboss

have you checked your PSU lately making me wonder has it failed.

0 Likes

Hi Plumboby

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I dont have any means of checking the PSU but I would be suprised if it was the cause, the black screen with cursor issue only happens when changes are made to the display setup, or when an update or similar tries to briefly blank the display.

It doesnt happen as a result of the system requiring large amounts of power - its happy running games and the like without problems.

Thanks

Jon

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

might be a bug in the OS end of things had that with 10 doing it once the AMD drivers updates. Might be a older Hdmi or display cable issue had that with mine till I sorted my end AMD cards can be picky with suspect or older cables or cheap knock off 3rd party cables. I go with the easy things first usually the easiest cause are cable PSU or OS bugs. Drivers get the blame alot of the time but if your not having issues gaming I suspect could be display cable might be at fault or on a long shot PSU getting down on wattage & correct amps.

0 Likes

From HP Support concerning something similar to your problem with your computer: HP Consumer Notebooks and Desktops - The Computer Hangs at a Black Screen After Windows Update | HP®...

BTW, I couldn't locate your exact Model number. What came up was this model with the same Intel CPU: HP ENVY Desktop - 750-439cb | HP® Customer Support

0 Likes

Hi elstaci

Thanks for looking into it.

The HP article that you linked to suggests pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del when the black screen happens.

Unfortunately Ctrl+Alt+Del doesnt do anything when the screen has gone black, so its not possible to bring up Task Manager.

The keyboard shortcut for task manager doesnt do anything either.

Also the HP article seems to focus on black screen at startup, my problem does happen at satrtup after the HP logo has shown (but only if a display has been plugged / un plugged whilst the computer was off), but most often it happens when I make changes to the display settings eg resolution, or if any updates need to turn off the display briefly - e.g. AMD updates.

As per the HP article I will have a look around the App Readiness siuation and look into the HP image enhancement update.

Thanks

Jon

0 Likes

The article says to go to "Services" and stop the App Readiness service. You might try to "Disable" this service temporarily and see if the issue continues. Then try the Prevention software it links to.

Open Windows Menu and under "Search" type "services.msc" That should open the Services Menu where you can locate "App Readiness" Service and temporarily Stop or Disable the service.

If the issue has already occurred (stopped at black screen), recover as follows:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL keys.
  2. Click Task Manager.
  3. Click the Services tab.
  4. Locate and right-click App Readiness in the Name column.
  5. Select Stop from the menu.
  6. Follow the steps under Prevention to prevent the issue.

That sounds like good advice! Having had many HP computers at work that I service. I have had a plethora of newer drivers conflicting with all the bloat HP installs on their computers. It's all fine at first but down the line may conflict as it doesn't get updated with the drivers. Don't know if that is an issue either. But in addition to what elstaci said, if that doesn't do it, maybe use msconfig and do a selective startup and disable all but essentials and see if by any chance that helps. If it does you can either disable the start with windows on those apps or uninstall them all together.

Edit: Another thought something else been running into a lot is Windows Update removing my Monitor Drivers and replacing them with the Generic PNP driver. If your monitor(s) have manufacturer supplied drivers make sure those are installed.

Make sure when you get it fixed you reply back with what did the trick as it may just help the next person with the same problem.

Thanks and Good Luck!