cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

newer drivers acting up need advice

I have a Lenovo legion y520 with a i5 7300hq cpu, and a amd rx 560 4gb video card. when I use the latest amd drivers I have great in game frame rates but in windows I get random freezes. no problems at all playing games. when I use older drivers I get worse frame rates in game, but no random freezes in windows. please help.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi,

You are missing details that would best help someone to help you. Like OS, what driver, see this guide: INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Glad to hear that the new drivers are better in some regards. Are you using the latest drivers from Lenovo? It is always recommended that laptops use Manufacturers versions of the drivers, as they are often very customized. The AMD drivers, are Vanilla and would lack any custom changes.

When you installed the drivers there are some guide lines that help with getting it right (your manufacturer may have additional instructions). It can be very important to do everything as recommended. See this guide: Laptop graphics update...How to

Worth noting too, you will want to make sure all the Intel drivers are current, bios/firmware for system are the latest and all OS updates are installed. Doing this really increases the odds of success.

If you continue to have issue, you may certainly ask here still, but your manufacturer is the expert on that machine. You can certainly ask question to them or any forums they might have too. It is almost always faster to get answers from people with the exact same hardware.

Good Luck!

I'm using windows 10 the old Lenovo based driver was 17 something the new one was 18.3.3 I think

0 Likes

Tried to find the exact Lenovo Legion Y520 that has a RX560. Found two models but both seem to have the same drivers to download from Lenovo Support.

Do you have the latest Intel Chipset driver installed : Intel Chipset - 11/16/2017 & 11/09/2017 (Firmware)

also there is a new driver for the Laptop's Mouse/Keyboard - 02/05/2018. (This might prevent the freezing issue if it concerns either the Mouse or Keyboard)

This is the only Mobile RX500 series AMD Driver that I could find : Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 18.2.1 Release Notes

Before installing the AMD Driver follow the following Guidelines on installing AMD Drivers with a laptop using an Intel CPU/APU: Laptop graphics update...How to as noted by Pokester.