siera56
Journeyman III

ryzen 3 2200g overheat. Any help ?

Hi, I'm new to computer building.

Recently built a R3 2200g system with,

msi b350m mortar

Team t-force dark ddr4 3000mhz

XFX XT 500w

I did some OC in BIOS. a-xmp ram to 3200mhz, OCd iGPU to 1600mhz with SOC voltage 1,2. Left the cpu untouch

Somehow my CPU on idle heated up to 45C, never stays below 30. I tried run DOTA2 and it hit 70+C

I did change the thermal paste with a really cheap one actually, cus I fail installing the stock cooler for the first time. and kinda short on budget..

What should I do now ?

0 Likes
7 Replies

Ryzen has a thermal maximum of 91*C, so you're not overheating.

0 Likes

But I can't even play the game. It's really laggy even at the lobby.

And so I've updated the BIOS, everything set back to stock setting then it hits 70°C again. On ryzen master, temps are fluctuating so wild, and reach 70°C again with gfx speed at 400mhz.

What could be the problem?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 2200g and 2400g use TIM paste instead of solder. The temps are a bit high on mine too, reaching 70+ with Prime95 after a few minutes.
The only viable option here is to get an aftermarket cooler. I saw a video where some guy overclocked 3.9ghz/1.5ghz with a Gammaxx 200T. I have the 300 on the way for $18. Using this 135W cooler on a 65W processor should keep things under 70C at the maximum safe voltages. These processors start lowering boost clocks when they get to 80C, and hard throttle or shut off at 95+, so you aren't throttling.

To solve your game issues, you should try lowering your settings. The Vega 8 is close to gt 1030/RX550 performance when overclocked, and that might not be good enough for max settings for some games. I personally don't know how demanding DOTA2 is, but I just looked this game up, and the 2200g is capable of 80fps with this game, though I don't know what the settings were.

Also, make sure you've installed the AMD graphics drivers from AMD's site. If you don't install those, you'll be lucky to get more than 5 fps in anything more graphically intense than Minecraft at 480p.

Oooh I forgot the drivers !

will try with an aftermarket cooler tho.

Thanks for helping !

0 Likes

These processors start lowering boost clocks when they get to 80C

For Me Its Just 62C and its makes me crazy i cant overclock it like this

0 Likes

There are many reasons for a cpu to be overheated from what you normally see in youtube videos ... i'll explain 3 things that are really vital to a cpu overheating. 1) Thermal paste .... a cheap thermal paste doesnt do the job ... well if for a dual core it may do the job but for ryzen i dont think so most of the time if you get your pc built and you add a random cheap thermal paste the increase in temperature may be over 10C from what it normally is ...2) Environment ... if you are living in a hot place it's normal for those 62C temperatures especially in the summer it may overheat sometimes so a useful advise is to have your air con on so it can cool off the pc since warm air doesnt do the job 3) Some may think this isn't important but the pc needs to be in an open space and not surrounded by anything (wood planks or something im not in your house to know) it should be place on top of you desk or somewhere with good airflow ... this may help cpu cooling ... (There are also some things that you can do in the bios like increasing the fan speed of the cpu cooler etc but sometimes that may not necessarily help). I dont think you should overclock a cpu with the stock fan (is it AMD wraith stealth) but you should buy a good cooler even tho it may cost 100 euros possibly you then can overclock the cpu without experiencing any abnormal temperatures over 100C...Also if you are a beginner in overclocking i would say to ask for advice by someone who knows overclocking in and outs  and never try to overclock it by yourself ... Advice by an amateur so it may not be accurate

0 Likes

sir i need help my ryzen 3200g start thermal throttling at 70c degrees while gaming and wont fix after slowdown 70c degree isnt normal? while gaming? i hv reinstalled windows but nothing changes

0 Likes