cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

18.3.3 Driver is out!

New hope for those with issues. Grab the new 18.3.3 driver and see it it fixes things.

Good Luck & Happy Gaming!

0 Likes
10 Replies
romanb72546
Adept II

hI. I'm brand new so i hope this isn;t a bad question coming out the gate. but, will windows 8.1 support this new driver?

0 Likes

No. Windows 8.1 is no longer supported with the AMD drivers.

ok. thanks so much now.

0 Likes

Even though Microsoft is trying to kill Windows 8.1 and 7 by blocking updates if people use Ryzen or Kaby Lake or newer, it would be nice if AMD could release at least a couple of non WHQL drivers for 8.1 every year, it still does have a measurable user base. Far behind Windows 7 and 10 yes, but still, it's a good OS.

0 Likes

Gotta agree with this one. I get dropping support on an unsupported OS. But Windows 8.1 is still supported by MS. So never so the logic in this one. Especially when many bought the product they have stating it had AMD support. Typically you can count on that support as long as Microsoft support is in play. Lesson learned. I will add the green team is still supporting 8.1. Seeing as there is no real difference between the versions other that maybe some QA issues not sure why AMD couldn't just say that the drivers are not WHQL or quality tested nor guaranteed support, but here you go they should load and may work as well as they do not 7 or 10. But alas it didn't go that way.

0 Likes

I use an older card, the R7 250. I just bought it and it's a great card, but I feel I'm missing out on some options like Chill and Overlay. and personally, just because I run 8.1....I don't think that's particularly fair. IMO, regardless of which card you run...if you don't have the option to update and have the same Adrenaline as the rest of AMD users, it's not fair. IMO.

0 Likes

You might consider yourself lucky. Those options have brought some growing pains for many. Not sure why those cards would not support chill or overlay. Could be something like it would take a difficult bios change to accomplish? If something like that was a requirement, it would be a big obstacle to overcome,  as most would never do it. It may cause way more harm than it helps. I don't know if that is why. But I bet there is a logical reason. AMD hasn't been one to hold users hostage to buying new cards to get new features.

0 Likes

I will start by saying I have no idea and zero experience with what I am about to say. I have read where some folks have loaded some previous drivers realeased that are also not supported for Win 8.1, and have loaded the Win 7 drivers with success. You could google this. I don't know if it takes any special instructions to do or what's involved. Even if this one doesn't work you might find one that does that is newer than yours. You may find you were much better to stay with what you have! Your mileage will likely vary! Do so at your own risk. You have been warned.   Really good luck, it may go smooth, if not run DDU and install your old driver again.

0 Likes
nanohead
Adept I

Will this support Vega inside Raven RIdge?

0 Likes

I have no idea. Sorry.

0 Likes