Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mangraviti
Journeyman III

R9 290X showing as R9 200 series

Hi everyone.

I own a R9 290X by Sapphire (the reference card).

To begin, I would like to say that I don't know how AMD allowed this card to come out of the production line with this cooler. It's appaling. It's bad to cool the card and extremely loud. I had to mod the card and void the warranty back in the day and use a proper cooler. All this because I wanted to save a few bucks and didn't go for a proper card. I knew the performance would be a little less but the noise... I've never heard anything louder than this card. Unbelievable.

Now, with that problem sorted (which made my card more expensive than a better proper-cooled-alternative), I have a problem that is bugging me. Why the AMD drivers show the card as AMD Radeon R9 200 series and not R9 290X? This is causing me problems with certain games and is really annoying me. So a 290X is the same as a 270 in the eyes of AMD?

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
7 Replies

You would have a better chance of a reply if you posted in the correct/appropriate forum..which is > Drivers & Software

The R9 290x is part of the R9 200 series. So there is no issue.

WELCOME TO THE GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM

Use this space to post questions and discussions related to AMD that do not fit into the other forums.

For example; game promotions, benchmark scores, etc.

0 Likes

Well, there is an issue. Maybe for you it isn't an issue, but for my specific case, it is.

There is an application that I run that refuses to start and gives me an error saying "the minimum requirement for this application is R9 290X". There is an issue, therefore.

With my GTX 1080, it says GTX 1080 on device manager - not GTX 10 series.

It's not a driver issue, therefore this is indeed the correct/appropriate forum. This issue is regarding something else.

0 Likes

We would be in a better position to understand your issue if you provided the ESSENTIAL INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

0 Likes

What application?

Why not start with that?

The R9 290x is part of the R9 200 series. So there is no issue. It's the way AMD groups the drivers.

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Radeon R530 showing up as R7 M440 after software Upgrade - Dual Graphics Laptop

mangraviti
Journeyman III

All I wanted to do was to change the name of the graphics card on device manager. Does anyone know how to do such thing on Windows 10?

And please, don't give me these idiotic patronising answers telling me "how to ask a question".

I wish I had this problem in Linux. Linux users are much more intelligent and can actually answer questions.

0 Likes

This is perfectly normal..as mentioned. There is no issue or problem. What are you going on about? See identical card below.

How is this "This is causing me problems with certain games and is really annoying me."...what a crock.

If you are one of the intelligent Linux users (doesn't sound like it, but..)...you should be able to figure this out.