cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zyrdking
Journeyman III

Overdrive preventing start-up

So I updated my processor and graphics card drivers and found AMD OverDrive, I've wanted to overclock for a while now but I've been hesitant to because I've never done it and I know the dangers but I thought this would be a good way to start out.

The first time I updated my drivers and installed overdrive I didn't restart my PC for a day then when I did it would get to the boot up screen then go to a light blue screen saying there was an error that was preventing start-up and windows would try to fix the problem and restart automatically with a percentage value shown and when it reached 100% it would attempt to restart; this would happen over and over again until I went back to a system restore point.

The second time I created a restore point before each driver update and restarted my PC after every update (I also used a DDU when installing graphics drivers this time but not the first time) and installed AMD OverDrive last, also creating a restore point beforehand, and encountered the same start-up error when restarting my PC until I restored to the point before installation.

I am using: Windows 10 x64 bit Home

AMD Ryzen 1700x

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5

AMD B350M Bazooka

8GB RAM DDR4 (2 4GB sticks)

1TB SATA III 7200rpm HDD

UEFI BIOS mode

Ryzen Master version 1.2.5.0.0540

Nvidia driver version 391.01

CyberPower PC

Model: Gamer Master 2021

Part #: GM 2021

This is the screen that showed but this is a google pic so the error is incorrect

Related image

A fix or any information is appreciated, please and thank you.

4 Replies

AMD Ryzen Master is the utility for oc on ryzen cpus'.

You could try pulling out the CMOS battery.

If you can start in safe, uninstal, and delete all reg files related to amdoverdrive app.

Or you might be looking at a complete drive wipe and starting from scratch.

You might also want to move your post to the Processors​ section, may get other suggestions from ryzen users there.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Well I did a system restore to before OverDrive was on my PC but I really wanted to use it as I have just about no idea what I'm doing when it comes to overclocking.

0 Likes

Uninstall Overdrive. It is NOT compatible with your Ryzen CPU.

kidon0011
Adept I

I ran into the same problem. Here's how I fixed and it has helped several others:

Couldn't boot into Safe Mode because Microsoft royally screwed F8 up, but if you hard reboot several times during Windows loading, it will reboot to allow you to boot into Troubleshooting Options. From there you can find Safe Mode through Startup Settings or if it still crashes in Safe Mode like mine did, just choose Command Prompt.

You'll need to launch DiskPart (just type that in) and then "List Disk", then select your main Disk, then List Volume and find the volume containing your main typical C drive. Write down the letter. Type Exit to get out of Disk Part.

Now type in that letter, for me it was "F:", then change your directory to where the Overdrive folder exists (use dir to display folders and files to find it). Again for me I entered: "CD Program Files (x86)\AMD\OverDrive\amd64". Type dir to see a list of the files, which should just be AODDriver2.sys. Type "del AODDriver2.sys" and restart your computer.

0 Likes