cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

countblah2
Journeyman III

Correct or best FirePro M5100 Windows 10 Driver?

Providing the information below will get you a faster response from the community.

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Firepro M5100
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • HP Zbook G2
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • 18.Q1, 2018.0129.1509.27262
  • Display Devices
    • Default HP 1080p screen at 1920x1080
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • HP Zbook G2 Mobo, Latest BIOS
  • CPU/APU
    • Intel i7-4710MQ CPU @2.5 Ghz
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • N/A
  • RAM
    • 16GB

Describe your issue:

• Provide a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing and the steps required to reproduce the issue.

It is unclear what the best drivers I should be using for this device.  HP is of little help; their default drivers cause Windows 10 to freeze.  They have suggested I use the AMD Firepro W5100 Workstation driver, which I am currently using.  But there are issues with this driver: I cannot click the advanced settings, I cannot direct a particular application to reliably use Intel Graphics vs the AMD GPU, and I when I select Display, it tells me that no display is currently connected to an AMD product.  However, the GPU still knows to activate, and seems to run mostly stably, for GPU intensive programs.  The AMD support site lists an ancient driver, possibly the original driver for Win 64 from 12/1/2015 as the most current driver for my device.  So right now, those seem to be my options: use the ancient 2015 driver that seems to crash windows 10, or use the FirePro W5100 driver that doesn't seem like it's intended for a mobile workstation.

• Details about applications/games affected (including version number)

As an example, when using Snagit, a screen capture software package, there is an issue where if the program detects a GPU, it will cause problems with video playback and video recording.  My only workaround is to physically unplug the laptop, direct the switchable graphics settings to use "based on power source" and make sure the power settings have a corresponding setting in windows 10 to not use the GPU.  This is a real hassle just to direct the system to not use the GPU for a particular application.

• Graphical settings used in the application/game (resolution and 3D settings)
  • If possible, include a screenshot or video link of the issue
0 Likes
1 Reply

Do you have the latest Intel Chipset installed from 5/12/17?  The latest BIOS - 1.20 rev a - from 2/07/2018?

I don't know if this amd video driver is for your M5100 or just a general Video drivers for the laptop to make the Video work better:

AMD Video Drivers & Control Panel - 3/23/2017

I found this at HP support for the  HP ZBook15 G2 Laptop: HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support .

How to download and install the AMD laptop drivers on an Intel/AMD laptop: Laptop graphics update...How to .

How to configure a switchable Graphics laptop: Huh, I can't copy the link due to AMD Support due to I am not Authorized at that page. Anyways, the link is in the first link on how to download and install the AMD laptop drivers.

0 Likes