Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rootkind
Adept I

Is my R9 390 the problem?

Hi guys.

I have own my Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8Gb for a year and a half.

I use it for medium gaming, daily browsing, video and stuff like that.

I've noticed that every time i try to play some video through vlc or windows player, after a while screen turns black and sound freezes, forcing me to press the power/reset button.

I've already tried reinstalling the above mentioned programs, i've also reinstalled GPU drivers and windows itself, nothing worked.

I'm running Windows 10 Home x64.

Windows performance monitor tells me this (it's in italian but i thinks it's kinda easy to understand)

Descrizione

Si è verificato un problema dell'hardware che impedisce il corretto funzionamento di Windows.

Firma del problema

Nome evento problema:    LiveKernelEvent

Codice:    117

Parametro 1:    ffffcc8ed2bad010

Parametro 2:    fffff80695c0f9cc

Parametro 3:    0

Parametro 4:    1e8

Versione sistema operativo:    10_0_16299

Service Pack:    0_0

Prodotto:    768_1

Versione SO:    10.0.16299.2.0.0.768.101

ID impostazioni locali:    1040

And also this

Descrizione

Si è verificato un problema dell'hardware che impedisce il corretto funzionamento di Windows.

Firma del problema

Nome evento problema:    LiveKernelEvent

Codice:    141

Parametro 1:    ffffcf088f8b24a0

Parametro 2:    fffff80262c3f99c

Parametro 3:    0

Parametro 4:    fd4

Versione sistema operativo:    10_0_16299

Service Pack:    0_0

Prodotto:    768_1

Versione SO:    10.0.16299.2.0.0.768.101

ID impostazioni locali:    1040

I'd like to point that that actually I remember that this problem didn't happen in the gpu's early life, but actually I can't think about anything I could do in order to damage it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Use DDU to clear your current drivers and try 17.7.2 whql

I really don't think it's a hardware issue so  look around for some other video players or try playing them with firefox or edge.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

First things first. Take it out and clean it with a can of compressed air.

Put it back in, make sure the fan(s) are spinning and run GPU-z to find out what temps you're getting.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

I set my fans with Msi Afterburner and they're spinning regularly, my temps are 30° idle and max 55-60° while gaming.

0 Likes

Use DDU to clear your current drivers and try 17.7.2 whql

I really don't think it's a hardware issue so  look around for some other video players or try playing them with firefox or edge.

I've done what you said and it seems fine.

The point is that i really need to stick with VLC, so i can't look for any other players.

If it is really fixed with 17.2.2, do i have to stop updating gpu drivers from now on?

VLC is not on my favourite player list so take a look at Media Player Classic. https://mpc-hc.org/

As for  updating set a restore point before you try a newer version. DDU might have been the solution  and you're free to  update.. but set a restore point just in case.

Good luck!

mack0y
Elite

What are your specs? Does it happen only when watching video or also when playing games? The graphic card comes with a 'factory core overclock' of 10MHz.  Although I wouldn't think that it should degrade after that time with just an additional 10Mhz, try to set it back to the default 1000MHz temporarily.  Check also the VRM temperatures from GPU-Z when on load besides the main temperature.

0 Likes

R9 390 Sapphire Nitro 8GB

I5 - 3470

Asus B150-M

Kingston 8x1 GB DDR3 1600Mhz

FSP Fortron Raider 650W

VRM temperatures are fine when on load.

It only happens when i watch videos through vlc.

Yet, the problem isn't VLC and i'm 100% sure.

Actually i uninstalled the AMD drivers with DDU and installed the 17.7.2 and it's seems fine.

Do i have to stick with these and deny any upcoming updates?

0 Likes
lekgreg
Journeyman III

Actually I have the same graphic card and my died 6 months or so ago. Had it for about 2 years and 2 monhs before it died. I had problems with browsing the web with chrome and firefox 3 months after buying it. After some time it stopped and then after 2 years I had black screens wile playing games. This has never occured before so I was a bit suprised. So i looked up and saw a few AMD post with this similar issue and they said to revert so some older working drivers. But that didn't help at all and then the gpu died. Now I took it apart and i think that the memory chip is bad so i'm going to replace it. When i tested the card it was in short and the fuse near the pcie connector has blown. So if I fix i'll post something to tell what was wrong and i hope it helps some people out.

0 Likes