cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kligan
Adept I

Do gaming profiles ever work?

No matter how many times I tested it, no matter how many games I've tried - gaming profiles never worked even once.

I'm just wondering - am I unique or they don't work at all?

In the old Catalyst Control Center if I wanted to override something, like anti-aliasing, it always worked just with couple clicks. But with this new Crimson or whatever it's called... What's even the point in having those profiles?

0 Likes
10 Replies
supervargen
Challenger

You can try RadeonPro. The author (John Mautari) now works for AMD, or he did at least.

0 Likes

It's not that I have an urgent need for adjusting stuff outside of games... I'm just wondering why doesn't it work for me at all?

0 Likes

You know, I was wondering this myself for a while now. But then I did some tests on some games and saw that they do work... sometimes. They are basecally process-name based override hacks that intrude on executable's memory when GPU's userspace driver parts load. Sometimes they just fail to do anything, other times they actively interfere with what process is doing, and very rarely they might actually help... very rarely. The only things that may be usefull are antialiasing override and "morphological" postprocessing antialiasing. But pretty much in all cases they make everything look worse, don't even load or hang. Disabling vsync is usually a stupid endevour because game may use it to sync not just the visual but all its input/output threads. What is problematic is "buffer bloat"-like issue of pre-rendering more than 1 frame (previously controlled by "flip queue") which multiplies input lag as if you had 1/2 of native or worse fps while showing you high fps.

I would rather liked if they would spend their time to make 100% compliant and 100% open-sourced OpenGL/Vulkan/OpenCL/DX Mesa/LLVM-based framework and used "profiles" to enable or disable their hidden hacks. You know, the ones that they make for every new high budget game or every new GPU released which fails horrribly on launch date. Instead they continue to dumb UI down and rename it with weird names... Why the hell you even need to advertise interface to your driver's hacks ?!

And maybe make antialiasing algothithm that actually works, move away from rasterization or at least push for bigger chips for which 4k resolution and >100 fps is no issue.

0 Likes

I see... So basically not only it is gamble whether or not it will work, but also useless if it does work.

mack0y
Elite

Not just you and it's frustrating that they don't work.  I actually found out last week that the global profile might actually work to override the anti-aliasing of a game.  I never thought of using the global profile but it did work in fact.  Obviously the problem is that I need to enable and disable the setting every time I open/ and close the game.

0 Likes

Obviously the problem is that I need to enable and disable the setting every time I open/ and close the game.

Why not set the values in the game profile?

0 Likes

Because the game profile doesn't work... If I force the anti-aliasing using the game profile, it doesn't do anything.  But it works using the global profile.

0 Likes

I would report that to AMD using this link > Email Form

0 Likes

I am experiencing the issue with the 18.3.4

The most noticeable is frame rate control...setting it to 'On' in the profile has no effect in a game. Setting it 'On' in global works. This means that any game will have this applied. I question all profile settings.

0 Likes
mack0y
Elite

And  overriding anti-aliasing in game profile is working again with 18.12.2 driver after almost a year.

0 Likes