AMD RADEON R7 M445 Low 1080P Gaming Performance

I have a dell inspiron 5567 with the key specs as follows :

1. i7 7th gen

2. 8gb ddr4 ram

3. 2tb hdd

4. 1080p display

5. intel hd 620 on board gpu

6. AMD radeon r7 m445 gpu

My main problem is the fact that the gpu is not able to handle 1080p gaming well. Infact, games like fifa 18 don't work well in 768p either. Ive updated all drivers and the windows os is also upto date. My friend's laptop with a weaker amd 2gb gpu and 4gb regular ram and i5 can play fifa in ultra without any issues. I did a comparison with the specs prescribed and I found out that, firstly my laptop doesn't read the graphic card as an m445, it reads it as an m440. Secondly, though the memory clock is capable of going to 2000hz , its clocked at just 1000hz.

AMD Radeon R7 M445 - Gaming-Benchmarks and Specs - NotebookCheck.net Tech

^This is the graphic card I have on board and I'm certain about it.

The following are the details I obtained from the amd radeon adrenaline software :

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R7 M440

Device ID - 6900

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 0767

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1028

Revision ID - C3

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x4

BIOS Version - 015.049.000.013

BIOS Part Number - BR46858.006

BIOS Date - 2016/06/12 23:15

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1000 MHz

Core Clock - 920 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 32 GByte/s

Memory Bit Rate - 4.00 Gbps

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0002

Games like hitman are underperforming in 768p as well. I'm really frustrated because I spent a lot of money on this laptop. Please help.

AMD Radeon R7 M440 - Benchmarks and Specs - NotebookCheck.net Tech

^this is the actual m440 and it clearly isn't my gpu as it has ddr3 ram and not ddr5.

PLEASE HELP.

The AMD customer service was so useless. The stopped responding after one mail sigh. Even dell is so useless. I should've just bought another laptop with NVidia gpu sigh.

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
14 Replies

No, you should have bought a laptop intended for gaming if you wanted to game on it, not an entry level model meant for web browsing, casual gaming, and GPU acceleration of videos. Doesn't matter if you use AMD or nVidia, if you buy low end, you're not going to have performance. There is no problem with the card, it's just not built for gaming, as the benchmarks on the notebookcheck page you linked to clearly show.

hello look at this, AMD say that R7 M445 is built to play. Again fake performance informationr7.PNG

0 Likes

What's fake about it?

0 Likes

AMD say "R7 M400 models are built to play" , in addition i don't see the utility of a GDDR5 MEMORY if it's not for gaming

my classmate with a casual laptop powered with a  nvidia 940MX run any game properly with only 2GB VRAM, BUT with my stupid R7 M445 WITH 4GB GDDR5 I CAN'T RUN ANY GAME

0 Likes

Which is odd considering your laptop has Intel Switchable Graphics. Also, Notebookcheck's review of your exact laptop shows it is capable of playing games at, generally, medium details and resolutions, which is to be expected from an ENTRY LEVEL card.

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 5567-1753 Notebook Review - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

0 Likes

No my laptop hasn't intel switchable graphics , and my cpu is AMD FX-9800P , i have an asymetric crossfire configuration (R7 M445+ integrated R7 graphics).

with the intel version of my laptop, gta 5 is playable, but with AMD VERSION it's impossible with terrible missing textures , buldings cars  and road disappear like ghost

0 Likes

Then why did you hijack this thread?

amdmatt​ suggest topic cleanup and lock.

0 Likes

i'm not hijacking this thread , but i'm experiencing the same problem . the difference is just with processor

0 Likes

i have already read amdmatt topic about switchable graphics, the main issue is 80 percent of games aren't fully compatible with Radeon Duals graphics   AMD must check the configuration. intel switchable graphic is better because intel processor are faster and you can disable integrated graphic card in the bios and us amd discrete graphic card ,but with AMD+AMD switchable graphics, it is really problematical

0 Likes

Capture d’écran (15).pngwindows task manager itself see only two APU of 512MB while AMD say   us "one R7 APU+ a discrete card card R7 M445"

0 Likes

Let me take a stab at this and ask a couple questions. Are you using the graphics driver that the laptop came with? If not did you follow these instructions for installing new drivers Laptop graphics update...How to ? Did those new drivers come from the company that made your laptop, as laptops often have custom settings from their manufacturer to make them work correctly, the Vanilla AMD drivers do not and cannot, as they don't control the manufacturers changes. Many manufacturers change specs, for instance they don't want to put an expensive cooling solution in a budget laptop. So they put the better chip in but then downclock and undervolt it. You think your getting something you are not, and this is nothing AMD is doing, it's the laptop maker. Because of these practices you just can't expect that because something is specked as a certain part that it will be the same as another product. Typically they get away with this by putting an * next to part then you find somewhere they list the core speed and it is lower than the AMD reference speed. They get away with it because they told you, and it's unfair because you shouldn't have to be this much of an expert.

Now with all that said. It is unfortunate but true that manufacturers make all kinds of changes including using outdated hardware solutions and toss in a chip for namesake that sounds better than the solution they are TRULY offering. I have no idea if this happened here for sure with your product, but it is rampant in this industry, and unfortunately most the AMD offerings are low-end ones to begin with, and don't need this misrepresentation.

If you have not talked with tech support from who made your laptop you should, as they can guide you best as to what updates to do. If you have not looked for updated drivers on their site you should. If they have forums that might offer help or an FAQ, I would check it out. If this AMD site is your only resolve then make sure you follow those laptop instructions linked above, and let us know how things go.

Good Luck!

0 Likes

thank you for comprehensive answer, but unfortunately i have already tried all you have mentionned. Trust me , drivers from AMD are better than those from the manufacturer, the manufacturer clearly says R7 M445 WITH 4GB GDDR5 memory. when i tried to contact them, they redirect me to AMD support.

0 Likes

That's crazy for the manufacturer to direct you to AMD, they made and are supposed to support it. Is this pc old an out of warranty? It isn't AMD's responsibility to support that machine. Like I said above, I'd be asking what speed that chip runs at by the manufacturers spec. I think if they can't answer that they are giving you the runaround and I'd vote with my dollars on the next purchase. Did you read over those laptop install directions. You need to do that right.

0 Likes

trust me , all that have been already done, when i was desperate is use express service code , without result. the probem is radeon dual graphics technology

0 Likes