cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Core clock not dropping back to 300, memory does. Since 18.3.1

I have had this happen 3 times now. I think it has been while browsing the net all times, not coming back out of a game. Something trigger the GPU to go up to full speed and it won't come back down without a restart. See the screen capture I made. I have all the info up you could want to see what is going on. Nothing in task manager is utilizing GPU yet the clock is solid maximum clock. This is really weird.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Although, I still have heard nothing from AMD, or amdmatt​ & ray_m​ on this issue, I will assume all got the message because the issue is resolved in the newest 18.3.2 drivers. If you are having this issue please update your drivers as this seems to fix the 100% usage issue. Thanks for the quick fix AMD. 

View solution in original post

34 Replies

There is a workaround solution. Seems like the "Relive" task is causing the GPU to run at 100%. Here is the workaround from another thread:

Finaly! Thx a lot!  I thougt i am the only one!

At HWMonitor, i have, from time to time, 100% and max GPU-Clock. After a few tests i did find the Problem:                              

Firefox + Youtube (Only Fullscreen) + ReLife-Host/Desktop task.

I did not have ReLive installed, but i have 17.12.2.

After killing the ReLive task... 0% GPU use.

How can i turn ReLive off ?

I did rename the .exe ... but its just a workaround ?! (amddvr.exe  + amdow.exe)

or the only way?

Win10 64Bit

Firefox 57.0.2

XFX 580 D: 17.12.2

Pokester didn't realize that you were the author of this post. You probably have already tried this workaround and it didn't work right?

0 Likes

No I really have not tried anything as it only happened 2 nights ago and 2x yesterday. I only checked the task manager and used a couple other utilities to see what was running. I don't have relive installed. But I know that there are still elements installed regardless as I think they are used for all the new overlay stuff. So yes please if you figure this out let me know. I however have not seen this before this driver. Just found it really odd as I can clearly show nothing is running to tax the GPU yet the GPU is running flat out!

0 Likes

I believe "Relive" still runs in the background even though you don't have it installed. Check Task Manager and disable anything to do with AMD Relive.

This has been the culprit with other users GPU running at max. Even though in the Radeon Release notes from a earlier AMD driver it mentions it was fixed.

Another User just posted the same question as you did. I directed him to this thread since you opened it first. Activating Radeon Relive makes GPU usage go 75%

You can use Autoruns to prevent the program from starting....like in this post:

Legacy branch being nagged about GCN driver updates

Do you know if that will however make it where I can't use the alt + R overlay in game? I don't want to loose that functionality as it is finally working right. Luckily I have monitor widgets up all the time so I know when the GPU is running maxed. So a restart fixes it. Just would prefer a fix that doesn't involve losing something I do wan't. Thanks for the info though. Before elstaci said it, I wasn't even looking at relive as and issue. But once he did say it I remembered I had seen that service running before and thought it odd as I didn't install relive, I had looked into it then and read it has to do with the overlays. Maybe all this is a conflict with video overlay in the browsers? Oh I too am using Firefox as elstaci said he is.

0 Likes

It shouldn't affect anything but the automatic start of the DVR service. It will still start if you needed it.

Be sure to run Autostart as Administrator .

Disable it or just set it to manual?

0 Likes

Just uncheck the box....

A big advantage of using Autoruns is, you can see all the programs and apps that are set to run automatically...and stop those you can do without.

0 Likes

I am an IT manager and use auto runs all the time. It is very helpfull though that you know what to look for and disable. Because that knowledge is often the toughest part of using autoruns, but the sysinternals suite is absolutely a good friend!

0 Likes

Okay I gave this a go and headed to YouTube. No go within a few videos the GPU usage was at 100% closed everything out still 100%. Had to restart again to fix this. If you think of something else to try, please let me know. Thanks for the help!

0 Likes

Did you reboot after you made the change ? I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue you are having, I do know that the DVR thing is installed and runs even if you didn't install Relive. I can't find  any reason for it.

0 Likes

Well forget what I said...something is causing it to start again.

0 Likes

Yes I did, right off the bat and when it happened again I went back into autoruns64 and made sure again it was unchecked. They will need to fix this one.

0 Likes

I went into safe mode and deleted these two entries. So far so good.

0 Likes

Okay I found a video on you tube that will stick the GPU on 100% every time I play it!

Woot Secret Letter Bag of Crap--December 2015 - YouTube

Open Task Manager CTRL-Shift-ESC and find AMD ReLive: Host Application and right click END TASK . This will release the GPU without restarting.

So there you have it, you know what will cause the issue plus what task is the problem and it is totally reproducible.

Now AMD figure out why this does this please.

0 Likes

Issue Report has been submitted. Would appreciate if amdmatt​ or ray_m​ could send this up the ladder too.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Okay I can also confirm that exiting

Wolfenstein II: The new colossus

the GPU stays stuck at 100% too. Maybe this is why some are crashing now too, if it is running at 100% usage?

0 Likes

That was the workaround that was mentioned by the user that I posted for you. Plus the Youtube was some sort of sarcasm? LoL  

I was being sarcastic? I sure wasn't meaning to be sorry. I was just referring to a video I know triggered the problem. Yah, I knew you had linked to some help. I just wanted to spell it out in case it helped another to not have to dig for it. I just hope this is enough concrete information for AMD to get this fixed.

0 Likes

Sorry, I didn't mean to be disrespectful. But when I saw the Youtube and it shows a overweight person emptying a bag during what seems to be at Christmas time. I was wondering what that video had to do about the problem you were having. I thought you were showing the video as a statement to AMD since it was titled "Letter bag of Crap".

I was expecting from the Video to show maybe a fix or solution that you found. But I now realized that the Youtube video was what you were watching at the time that your GPU went to 100%. I misread your comment. Sorry.

0 Likes

No worries. There are a bunch of those videos of people ordering the bag o crap from Woot! You spend 10 bucks and you don't know what you will get and people video themselves opening what they got. One guy got an 800 pound skid of car wax!

0 Likes

This is the thread where I got the comment about disabling Relive in Task Manager.GPU Usage stays at 100% with driver 17.12.1 & 17.12.2   Someone just posted another comment on this old thread today. Same problem with you, Firefox, and Youtube. He just deleted the Relive files since he wasn't using Relive and fixed the issue until the next AMD driver update where the Relive files will again be installed causing the GPU issue unless AMD finds a fix in the future drivers again.

0 Likes

The two files are in the C:/program files/AMD/CNext/Cnext

0 Likes

Thanks kingfish​ & elstaci​. There is no doubt that, this other thread is the same issue! GPU Usage stays at 100% with driver 17.12.1 & 17.12.2   I also realize I have seen other threads than that too. So apparently this is a random issue that is not getting addressed by AMD as it is randomly spread across many driver versions now. I did not have this issue till this driver yet other in that thread explain perfectly the same thing both the videos and even the exact game it happens with. Between that thread and the info I have given and that you guys have helped us all realize this should be plenty of information for AMD amdmatt​ & ray_m​ to be able to send this issue off to be fixed.

Now before I start deleting files, as no think this may be potentially more of an install issue, I am going to test that theory and clean install again and see what happens. If it returns, I will probably just delete those files, assuming that wont lose me my ctrl-shift-O and alt-r overlays in game?

I really appreciate you guys working with me on this. I hope something gets done with this good information.

0 Likes

In that thread that I linked, I posted the AMD Drivers Fixes. If you see, one of them was about Relive causing the GPU to run at maximum. Supposingly it was Fixed in the 17.xx.x series of drivers. I have it highlighted in Bold Black Letters. So whatever fix was done, it seemed like it has returned again. That is why people should turn in a REPORT ISSUE to AMD Support to let them know that the problem is back again.

BTW, Don't delete the files. Just renamed them from .exe to .old. That way you don't have to reinstall the AMD drivers again to get your Overlays to work again in case those two files affect it. It is easier to just rename them or "Cut" the files out from the folder and paste them somewhere else where you can alway keep them safely until you need them again.

0 Likes

Good realization. Seeing as we are in the 18.3.x branch now, I get the feeling they have different branches of the drivers and that not all the fixes are in each! I have thought this before and now I really think it true. It is the only thing that makes sense.

0 Likes

Thanks for the advice saw it after I was done though. I didn't delete them just zipped em up and deleted the originals. Then returned them when done testing. Sure wish I could play games instead of constantly working on AMD driver issues. Since I got this card in November a day has not passed that I am not dealing with my own or trying to help someone else with their AMD problems. They really have to do better than this.

0 Likes

So deleting these files does stop the 100% usage. It however also stops the overlay features completely. So no in game controls or monitoring. So not a fix or even a viable workaround IMHO as reverting to older drivers would just be better. Hope they see this thread and issue report and have this fixed. It sounds like they have already made and fixed this mistake before. Thanks for all the info, though.

0 Likes

Reverting to last driver does fix this issue. I verified that today.

0 Likes

Something definitely changed in this driver version. Previously, stopping it from starting automatically was enough. I hope everybody is reporting this 'fix' to AMD Support as it's happening across multiple OS's and GPU's > Email Form

(Forget the fact that in some cases, Relive is not even installed)

Yes I don't have it installed either.  Thanks for that email link. I had sent an issue report but sent one there too. I had already PM'd  amdmatt​ & ray_m​ but have not heard back, but it's the weekend so wasn't expecting to hear from anyone yet. Those guys are usually great about helping out with these well documented reproducible issues. You being on board with this can only help too, much appreciated, guess that's why the fish made you King!

0 Likes

Although, I still have heard nothing from AMD, or amdmatt​ & ray_m​ on this issue, I will assume all got the message because the issue is resolved in the newest 18.3.2 drivers. If you are having this issue please update your drivers as this seems to fix the 100% usage issue. Thanks for the quick fix AMD. 

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

glad to see that you have found the correct answer to your question.  In order to help others with a similar problem to find this answer quickly, we have locked the discussion to keep it focused on the issue you reported.

0 Likes