cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jamie71
Journeyman III

Where did this XTU Service: Intel Extreme Tuning Utility come from?

hi all I just rebuilt from fresh, ie deleted my partition reformatted and a fresh copy of the latest Windows 10 pro onto my pc

I'm running

Ryzen 7 1800X

Gigabyte 370X Gaming 5 Aorus motherboard with 32Gigs 2933 Corsair Ram

RX Vega 64

so I've been having weird windows issues, today I decided to do a clean boot via Msconfig, the first thing I did was select hide Microsoft services, then I see this

XTU Intel Extreme utility running I mean what the hell

I stopped the service and deleted the reg keys

I've popped over to Reddit and there seems this has happened in the last few days to at least 2 other people running Ryzen machines.

any ideas, I did a full malware scan, plus malware rootkit, both came back clean.

Capture2.jpg

0 Likes
4 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Probably was included with the Gigabyte motherboard software ?

0 Likes

When you reinstalled Windows 10 fresh, did you use Gigabytes CD to reinstall all the Motherboard's drivers?  Your motherboard seems to come in both Intel and AMD versions. It is possible the the CD may include drivers for both Intel and AMD motherboards and you may have installed XTU by accident. Otherwise there is no mention of XTU in the Gigabyte's Website concerning your AMD motherboard. The only Intel chip your motherboard uses is a Intel LAN chip which XTU is useless for.

It is a mystery because XTU is used only on Intel Motherboards or Processors. On a AMD motherboard it would be useless. Unless an a driver in your motherboard somehow uses the XTU service and installed it.

0 Likes
jamie71
Journeyman III

no i never use the CD and anyway I don't have an optical drive on my machine, i always download from AMD, the gigabyte cd i throw into the trash can.

0 Likes
bdpjumbi
Journeyman III

I have the same motherboard and was wondering the same thing, which led me here. I am guessing it came along with the WiFi driver somehow, as it is strangely enough an Intel WiFi chip on this AMD motherboard. I was familiar with the XTU app as I used it on an Intel based gaming laptop to undervolt it to keep temps from getting over 90C.

0 Likes