Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mexer
Newcomer

Issues installing AMD display driver?

Hello,

Since half a year ago I've been having tremendous trouble installing new drivers for my AMD video graphics card. It's a laptop card, namely: AMD Radeon R7 M265.

Both the windows update and the driver installation from the website (automatic and manual) do not work. I've tried the cleanest possible driver install (safe mode, fresh removal, disabled the automatic driver install from windows etc.).

Basically, during the windows update or the driver installation the system freezes up completely and I have to forcefully restart it. When it starts back up the system freezes up during the Windows 10 loading screen (the white dots rotating - they rotate smoothly, then a bit laggy, then it freezes). After that I have to do a CMD command in Startup repair to be able to continue to windows which either would have reverted to the very old video driver (which does work but is not very good) or, as of now, has no driver installed for the card since I've disabled the windows automatic driver install/update thing (Device Manager for the card shows: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)).

Both the Crimson and minimal setup do not work.

For now, the only apparent solution for me would be to find an old enough driver that would not do this, which would probably be around the first half of 2017. I don't want to revert back to old drivers just because of this; I'm trying to make the new drivers work.

Thank you for reading. What should I do?

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (updated without v.driver)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.20GHz

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 + Dedicated AMD Radeon R7 M265 (2.1 GB VRAM)

RAM: 8 GB

0 Likes
7 Replies

Never install the 'minimal setup'..never install the 'minimal setup' and the full setup. Only install the full setup. Use the clean install method > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Choose the correct driver > Download Drivers

You must update your Intel graphics driver before you try to install the AMD driver..link is here > Laptop graphics update...How to

Prevent/delay Win from automatically changing/installing graphics drivers using one or more of the methods found here > Windows 10 Help Forums

Disable all anti-virus/personal firewalls, etc.

Disconnect from the internet when attempting to install AMD drivers.

Delete the contents of the C:/AMD folder of all previous driver versions.

0 Likes

Thank you. I will try all of this again and report back to you when I finish.

Sorry for the slight confusion, I wasn't installing both auto and manual.

0 Likes

Make sure you have this version of the Intel graphics driver > Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

0 Likes

It didn't work. I'll tell you everything I did in detail:

1. Disabled automatic windows driver install with a reg key. This is the driver list, with only Intel HD Graphics installed: https://i.imgur.com/cRFwSv4.png Started doing a clean uninstall. Entered safe mode and ran the DDU driver uninstaller.
  2. Uninstalled the driver in safe mode, restarted.
  3. Ran Windows normally, deleted AMD folder, disabled Anti-malware and disabled the internet.
  4. Installed the driver that the website showed me after entering the specs, namely "radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.3.1-march5"
    As shown here: https://i.imgur.com/GTy6icd.png
  5. System froze during installation as before (took pics with my phone):
    https://i.imgur.com/4xRxr80.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/mSeeXlf.jpg

Then, after forcing restart, windows would either freeze during the dots loading or enter a Startup repair loop (wouldn't let me continue to windows), which I fix by entering Startup repair, command line and doing the 'restore windows registry' command provided on this page: Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop [Solved] - Driver Easy

After starting up windows normally again, the AMD driver is installed with errors and disabled, as shown here: https://i.imgur.com/fPEpm3Q.png

Back to square one.

Edit: Event viewer doesn't seem to show anything of the freeze.

0 Likes
blipblipsign
Adept I

First Sorry for my English :

We using same R7 family .. mine desktop HIS R7 250x 1Gb .
Specs :
Win 10 , Quadcore - Phenom II X4 965 BE 3,4 Ghz

RAM : 6 GB

PSU : 550 W

Here my driver Experiment result :

17.12.1 , 17.12.2 : System Freezes ( Monitor auto shutdown - all pherip. not responding after ) , Good side : Low Core usage
18.1.1 , 18.1.2 : BSOD often in game ,when watching youtube , randomly .. , Good side : Low Core usage

------------------------------

after i done my research, using 17.11.4 was the best, i never got BSOD in a week. ( Feb 2018 - Mar 2018 )

just now , I've install and test playing fortnite using 18.3.1 , was hoping a fix , because i love how Low core usage -- its really increase my FPS in game. RESULT .............................................: i got BSOD at start.. 

I think latest driver only work for latest GPU with 2 Gb VRAM or more . I will rollback using 17.11.4 till i can afford buying new PC or VGA

My suggestion for you Mexer,  try uninstall using DDU in safemode, and use 17.11.4 driver.

Wish this help .

0 Likes

The poster has a laptop/Mobility graphics...totally different issues.

0 Likes

Even though kingfish mentioned it's different, I will still try this if everything else fails.

Thank you for the suggestion.

0 Likes