cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

whyduck
Adept I

Windows Start Menu not working after driver update

I have driver version 22.19.677.257 installed for my Radeon RX480 graphics card on Windows 10 64 bit. Photoshop and Lightroom do not work with that driver, so I upgraded to "Adrenalin Edition" release 18.2.1. With that driver (version 23.20 or so), the Adobe tools work, but the Windows Start Menu doesn't work. I tried a number of intermediary drivers as well, and they all broke the Start Menu. Is there either a fix for the latest driver, or an updated driver coming that doesn't break the Windows Start menu?

System details:

Gigabyte Z170-HD3 with latest BIOS

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - auto updates enabled

Intel i7-6700K

Radeon RX 480 w/4GB memory

0 Likes
1 Solution
17 Replies

And what about version 18.2.3?

Same issue as 18.2.1.

And 18.3.1?

I didn't know there was a new release - it dropped after my first message. I'll test it this evening. I appreciate the help.

The latest package is working as expected. Start menu's working correctly and Adobe tools are behaving themselves. Thanks!

I've had this same issue, and found it was a driver issue (as when it is uninstalled, or if I boot Windows into Low Resolution or Safe mode, it works.  I have installed 18.3.4 and 18.2.1, and both do not work.  Does anyone have any other solutions?

Edit: Currently downloading 18.3.1 now, will let you know what happens.

0 Likes

Oddly that version doesn't work either...

0 Likes

When you say the Start Menu is broken, to clarify, it doesn't launch or all the icons are missing or corrupted?

If it won't launch try this:

1. Fix corrupted files

If the Search bar still works, search for powershell. Then right-click Windows PowerShell in the search results and select Run as administrator.

But if the search bar doesn’t work either, press Winkey-R, type powershell, and press Enter. Right-click the PowerShell icon on the taskbar and select Pin to taskbar. Close the PowerShell program. Hold down Shift and Cntrl while you right-click the PowerShell icon again. Select Run as administrator.

Once you’re in the Powershell command-line environment,  type the command sfc /scannow and press Enter. Then wait. It can take quite a while.

0411 sfc

Eventually, the program will tell you either that it found no corrupt Windows files, it found and fixed them, or it found some but couldn’t fix them. If you get the latter response, try the command

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This should (hopefully) download replacement files.

2. Remove and reinstall your Metro/Modern apps

Relax. This isn’t as bad as it sounds. First of all, this only effects the Metro/Modern/Windows 10 apps that you get through Microsoft’s Store. Old-fashioned Windows programs won’t be affected.

Second, it’s all automated.

Open PowerShell as an administrator as described above. Type in the following command—or better yet, just copy and paste it:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

When it’s done doing its job, reboot.

--------------------------

If this doesn't work I have had good luck just creating another user account and copying my personal files there. You can test if that works without going through all the trouble just create an account and check the menu.

0 Likes

The start menu is present, but it doesn't activate either through interaction with the mouse or by using the windows key. When mousing over the menu, Windows' blue busy circle is displayed. I've run through any number of online suggestions for fixing the menu interaction, including running scf and creating a new account - nothing's worked so far.

Uninstalling Metro apps is a new approach - I can give it a try, but I'm skeptical that it would have any impact. The menu stopped working after installing the AMD drivers and started again after I rolled back. Every time I've tried a driver that breaks the menu, rolling back fixes the problem. I haven't installed any Metro apps recently, so it's a stretch to place blame there, but it's a fairly painless task, so I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Wasn't meaning to shift blame, plus good to know when you revert drivers it works again. These are the repeatable issues the driver guys need to know about. You need to report this to AMD and doing it here in the forums doesn't do that. You should fill out a bug report and copy and past thread and all info to the report. http://www.amd.com/report

0 Likes

Hello,

I have the same problem even if it happens very rarely.

The solution : just do CTRL + ALT + DEL > logoff and logon, and usually it's good.

Windows 10_1709

Radeon Software Version :

Graphics Chipset :

Radeon RX Vega Liquid

0 Likes

You might also want to try posting a query on 'tenforums.com', and/or use their search for 'start menu broken'.

There are a number of suggested fixes.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
mack0y
Elite

It's not an AMD driver issue.  For me what works is to turn off 'Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart' in Settings - Accounts - Sign-in options.  Then restart the PC and check if it works.  Although after two months, start menu/taskbar stopped working again.  So I re-enabled and disabled that option and now has been working fine since January.  Until the next time I guess.

The Start menu is not working after upgrading to Windows 10 Fall - Microsoft Community

0 Likes

There are any number of software interactions that could impact Windows Explorer, or whatever hosts the Start menu. While it may have been ancillary software rather than the driver itself (although that's not out of the question), behavior clearly changed based on the version of the AMD driver package that I had installed. As I mentioned elsewhere, rolling back to an earlier version of the package fixed the issue every time.

0 Likes
markwilliams
Adept II

hi,

Try below steps

Type (or copy and paste) DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the PowerShell window admin and press the [Return] key

SFC /SCANNOW  (twice)

Click on start menu to see if it works, if not restart your computer then try start menu

Try to re-register Start Menu, see if it works:

https://www.kapilarya.com/re-register-start-menu-windows-10

https://dailytechposts.com/windows-10-start-menu-not-working/

0 Likes
schlicht
Journeyman III

I have the same issue from radeon 20.1.4 to 20.2.1

0 Likes
deve12
Journeyman III

I've had the same issue on my dekstop. I was also unable to use the start menu last week. I did some research and found this post which explain creating new user account or by restarting windows explorer can fix start menu error on windows 10

0 Likes