cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Radeon Settings app runs very slow

This is just an observation and is not limited to one machine or graphics card as I notice this on 4 of my home Windows 10 64 bit computers. The Radeon Settings app itself responds incredibly slowly at times and crashes often. This is something that I have hoped would improve over time, but doesn't seem to be. In fact this latest driver I can't close radeon settings at all without it crashing. I thought maybe it was the large amount of games I have installed so then I checked it on my shop computer that has no games installed and it's the same thing.  I don't see where this has been discussed before so forgive me if I missed it.  This is even happening on my latest computer with the os being only 2 weeks installed. This now only the second driver and I did a clean install. I don't think it's just me.

Are any of the rest of you noticing this too?

0 Likes
7 Replies

I have the same issue...have had it for a long time. It seems to happen after I have quit a game and try to open it...as well as 'not responding' message when rebooting from a new driver install. And I have Win7.

You are definitely on to something. As I have noticed it is worse after gaming than on a fresh reboot. I wish they would get this fixed. Talk about bad first impressions. I know to just keep relaunching or rebooting to get back in. I bet a noob would get frustrated quick.

While wishing, I wish they would put the global settings on its own tab too. Having to wait for the games tab to load when you have tons of games probably isn't helping things either.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sometimes you wonder if it is just you!

0 Likes

When the Radeon Settings App is running slow, what does the Task Manager show? Any programs with a high CPU usage?  Its sounds like something is not shutting down completely after closing and possibly causing a high CPU usage. Radeon Setting App could be waiting for something to finish causing the delay.

Just guessing from your replies.

No never anything unusual in fact it was the only thing running other than Origin. I had the same thought as you and have checked that many times in the past. It just seems like it's tripping over itself. Sometimes it will bring up the kill or wait box and you can wait it out. Other times it just dies. And others it's just a momentary delay. But sometimes it just flies open. This happens exactly the same on several machines with different configurations. I had it happening back on Windows 7 too and per Kingfish it still happening there too. Don't know what the culprit is, but it seems it should be a pretty simple interface that should run smoothly and quickly. I run no 3rd party utilities either. Never even had one installed on the new machine ever.

Yup...it is definitely waiting for something to finish, IMO,  if I wait a while before trying to open the control panel..there is no issue. It only happens if I immediately try to open it after quitting the game.

I would say that is pretty accurate in my case too. Because most of the time I even go into the settings is after the fact an issue in game, etc. I know on my shop computer when I usually encounter this is when watching videos. I go into radeon settings to change the video settings after starting to watch something and its too dark etc. Same thing. Hey I think we figured out I am too impatient!

0 Likes
eSwirlHuB
Journeyman III

I HAVE GOT A FIX FOR THIS :

OPEN THEN TASK MANAGER BY PRESSING ESC+SHIFT+CTRL AND THEN END ALL THE AMD RELATED TASKS. GO TO YOUR DESKTOP AND REFRESH 1 TIME. 

LAUNCH AMD SOFWARE, IT SHOULD RUN PROPERLY

0 Likes