cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

xzxw
Journeyman III

Extremely poor performance on games that used to run well

I bought a Lenovo Y520 a few weeks ago.  It's got an Intel i5-7300, a Radeon RX 560 4GB, 8GB RAM, with Windows 10 Home.

When I got it, it had some issues.  I noticed it was pretty slow for a brand new computer with a good CPU.  It's blue screen 3 times in the three weeks I have had it.  I installed a few games, Warframe, PUBG, Witcher 2 Enhanced, System Shock Enhanced, HITMAN, and Quake 2.  On the more demanding games, I was able to get between 60 and 100 frames.  On these same games I now get under 30, and sometimes they can't even reach 10 frames.   Other times they run just fine.  A week ago I played Warframe for an hour and got the usual 60 to 100, turned it off and came back to it two or three hours later and it couldn't reach 10 frames.  The computer hasn't ever been dropped or damaged.  When I ran a program to check temperatures, all were normal.  The CPU usage seemed really high though.  So maybe the CPU is bottlenecking or something?

I went to r/techsupport and was told it could be Windows updates.  The person suggested I do factory reset, so I did.  Then I shut off Windows Updates, but it didn't help.  I went to TomsHardware, but got no help there.

Could it be possible that, for some reason, my computer is switching between the GPU and the motherboard's onboard graphics?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
4 Replies

It is very possible that updates messed you up, it's a shame they had you reset when a rollback probably would have been better. I would check out this guide pinned in the Graphics Forum, it should get you back on track: Laptop graphics update...How to

0 Likes

Hey, thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately your solution didn't work.  I followed the instructions on the link and nothing has changed.  The computer has become even slower than it was just a few days ago, so I think there is a component that is malfunctioning.

0 Likes

try a factory reset and see if that works, also get on the lenovo forum which may be more helpful

I would tend to agree with harcoregames, I would backup and do a reset. At least then you will know for sure if it is hardware or software. It is really important to follow that guide I linked you to for updating your laptops graphics. I would also use any updated drivers from lenovo over those on the AMD site. Laptop drivers are often very customized to the hardware changes implemented for better cooling and power consumption.

Good Luck, let us know what you figure out.

0 Likes