Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rustybeard88
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon HD7800 Series

Good Morning/Evening

I am having issues with my graphics card, I bought this card within the PC itself as my friend years ago sold it to me, I understand this graphics card is becoming a bit outdated. However, I play Overwatch, and every so often the screen will suddenly go black, and then I have to restart the game. Also in my relaxing time I play creativerse and I find that its kinda lagging, or the FPS is sticky if that makes sense?

I desperately need help with these issues,  I can`t currently afford a new graphics card so I am stuck with this one and its issues that follow with it

Please help

Rusty.

0 Likes
11 Replies

this problem is seen with windows 10 and i expect to see this get fixed eventually

dues this issue come up with other titles

0 Likes

Hi Thank you for replying,

Sad thing is, I still run Windows 7 home premium, maybe thats the reason, but when MS offered the free windows 10 update, my pc wouldnt install it. So as you can understand its annoying, cant have the latest version of windows, and I cant play a game without fault.. yay.. 

0 Likes

you can download the ISO for windows 10 using the media creation tool and as long as the machine is activated it should work fine

0 Likes

The problem is NOT Windows 7, you do NOT need to go to Windows 10.

Is the card clean of dust? Games freezing and crashing to desktop are indicative of what used to be called a VPU lockup, it's what happens when the GPU overheats and locks up.

0 Likes

black_zion wrote:

The problem is NOT Windows 7, you do NOT need to go to Windows 10.

Is the card clean of dust? Games freezing and crashing to desktop are indicative of what used to be called a VPU lockup, it's what happens when the GPU overheats and locks up.

Overwatch has a rather lengthy list of known problems which is what the OP is asking about

0 Likes

No, he is asking about GPU problems since they occur in other programs as well, not just Overwatch.

0 Likes

Hi Black_zion

The card is clear of dust, I cleaned it out a few weeks ago and I can see directly at the card and I see no dust within it. I`m still not sure to why it would still do it, I did a clean on my PC the other day with different programs I researched via youtube. I went on overwatch for the past two nights about 30 mins to an hour and a half n didnt have a black screen, do you think it could be down the the CPU? It still has the standard factory fan on it, Im thinking of buying a cooling fan to go on top of it.

0 Likes

Doubtful it's the CPU else you would have had problems before. What's HWiNFO say your 12v voltage is during gameplay as well as temperatures? Also if you're proficient I'd suggest replacing the thermal paste, at 6 years old it's getting time.

0 Likes

I personally think its down to the thermal paste, I had no idea about the paste till my friend mentioned it to me, but it would make sense to why it gets so hot. Do you think it could possibly be that and it just needs replacing?. Im planning to get a Hydro 212 Fan soon, I think thats the name of it.

Are you able to provide me with the right Link for my PC please, I use windows 7, 64bit.

0 Likes

I suggest Arctic MX-4 for thermal material, it seems to work well for me and it seems to last too.

0 Likes

A GPU can swing 60-70*C every day it is used from ambient to full gaming load and back again, so yea over 6 years it's time to replace it, just be very careful removing the heatsink because there are thermal pads which are used for the VRAM and VRMs, and they will be brittle after this time, ensure you don't tear them.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

0 Likes