Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

exreuterman
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon driver causing slow Windows 10

Extremely slow startup on HP Pavilion

I have an HP Pavilion PC570 which has SSD windows main drive and which has always been very fast to boot or to wake from sleep mode. HP recommended a AMD Radeon graphics driver upgrade in 16th December 2017 and I believe my problem with extremely slow startup started then. The driver download was sp78753 version 21.19.142.32768 for win 10v1607. If I look in device manager, I see two Radeon Drivers:

AMD Radeon R5 M435

AMD Radeon R7 Graphics

The problem as I see it is that on boot and waking from sleep, if I can get windows 'task manager' running, I see 100% processor usage with the culprit being windows 'system interrupts'. This can last for 3-4 minutes before clearing and then windows behaves normally.

I found that the Driver 'AMD Radeon R5 M435' had an update available which I performed and which cured startup problem, however I could not use it as my Adobe PhotoshopCC had a problem with the graphics and would not run properly so I had to roll back this driver. The error I kept getting when attempting to use PhotoshopCC was 'THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER'.

The AMD Radeon R7 Graphics driver has no update available and there is no rollback available either. So I have to put up with the extremely slow startup problem unless you can suggest a fix.

My windows version is win10 Home version 1709.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Laptop graphics update...How to

The info you supplied for your computer is very vague...and there are several different configurations of the HP PC570. What processor do you have...APU?

0 Likes

Hi Thanks for response

It's an AMD A10-9700 Radeon R7.

0 Likes

I can find no driver for a A10-9700 /R7 APU on the AMD site. It must be a OEM graphics chip which the laptop manufacturer should have drivers for.

As far as the issue with sleep and boot...there were reported issues with fast start and hibernation...maybe applies to your sleep issue:

You might try unchecking 'fast start'...it has been linked to starting issues with Hibernate...it's worth a shot. (Note that this is not the same 'fast startup/fast boot' used by Win10.)

0 Likes

Update

Have been talking to HP Support who initially were telling me to contact Adobe as it seemed like Adobe Photoshop CC would not run with the latest available driver. Found one operative there who really persevered with the problem and found a much later driver than was on the HP 'Support Assistant' site, direct from the AMD site which, when he downloaded that and re-installed Adobe CC with photographers package (Photoshop, Bridge, Camera Raw and Lightroom Classic) everything worked ok. I now notice that on the 'HP Assistant' tool they have made available a new driver for AMD R7 SoftPaq sp84045 version 22.19.128.3.

This has solved my problem

0 Likes

Glad to got it sorted out

0 Likes