cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ruidelima
Adept I

Black Screen after installing ATI drivers (hp laptop + switchable)

Hello AMD community

I've never experienced this problem and i have this computer since 2012. I had my laptop fully working in any system (windows 7, windows 8, windows 10...) but a couple of days ago after booting it up its giving me troubles with ati graphic card.

My laptop is the model HP DV6 6060EP and has switchable graphics (intel 3000 + radeon 6770m). Official system fully supported is only Windows 7. Whenever i install the ATI drivers, no matter if i download them from HP official product webpage or from ati official site, as soon as they get installed and i reboot, the windows goes black screen after the loading logo. To bypass this i need to go in safe mode and disable/uninstall drivers of ATI Radeon 6770M in windows device manager.

The ati graphic chip is dead? windows still detects it, i can see all chip information in gpu-z without installed drivers.

I've tried different driver versions in different windows versions (windows 7, windows 8 and windows 10), including the ones that always have worked before.

I've tried windows 7 + official hp supported drivers with no success.

I've tried the automatic drivers from windows update but as soon as they get installed the computer freezes completely and i need to reboot and go in safe mode disable/uninstall again

My bios its updated to the latest version. Has no option of choosing fixed or dynamic mode.

In conclusion, whenever i install the dedicated ati graphic card drivers and it "enables" the ati card, the computer goes black screen or freezes. Im currently working only with intel graphics 3000 enabled and it runs ok. Is there any way to check if the ati chip is dead?

0 Likes
1 Solution
ruidelima
Adept I

Hello, im here to report that a homemade reflow worked so far for me and revived my AMD chip. One more sucessfull story with hot air gun. Hope it lasts a year more or two

IMG_20180528_232603.jpgIMG_20180529_015634.jpg

View solution in original post

23 Replies

hello, im aware of incompatibility of switchable graphics intel 3000 + amd with w10, but the problem itself that im experiencing extends to windows 7 with factory drivers too, is there any way that the amd gpu chip is dead with the symptoms i've described?

0 Likes

Did you reinstall the AMD/INTEL SWITCHABLE HD GRAPHIC DRIVER from HP Support by any chance.: HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support  plus all the latest (2011) drivers for both your Intel and AMD Graphics plus Intel Chipset.

0 Likes

Hello, thanks for your answer. Yes ive installed the drivers from hp support page and intel chipset with no success.

0 Likes

The laptop graphics are not compatible with Win10. Intel and Microsoft tell you that. Nothing you read or hear is going to change that fact. There is nothing AMD can do...speak to the laptop manufacturer if it makes you feel better. The last hope for your laptop configuration was Leshcat drivers...and he quit trying to keep up with Microsoft's evolving door. You can try one of his older drivers. Or . revert to the OS the laptop was designed for.

Kingfish, it seems like he re-installed Windows 7 on his laptop and still has the problem unless he has Dual Boot Laptop with both Windows 10 and 7.

If that is the case...

These will be the last/latest driver for the AMD graphics.Legacy  Before it can be installed, Win7 must be fully updated and the latest Intel graphics drover from Intel must be installed. After that, install the correct AMD driver using the clean install method > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Hello

yes, i have windows 7 atm.

ive done all those steps before but ill follow your guide once again with a fresh w7 installation. as soon as i finish ill report back what happened but i believe ill have no success.

thanks for all help until now, ill come with feeeback soon

It's very common with Win7&8 ...there will be 100+ updates. The Intel updates come from Intel >Laptop graphics update...How to

Error Driver ADM RADEON R5 M330

0 Likes

Ok so i made again two tries

First try i used a fresh installation of windows 7 pro x64
1 - Updated all pending windows updates until had no more to do
2 - Make sure that had no graphic driver (both intel or amd) installed before beginning the process3 - downloaded latest driver for intel 3000 from official intel webpage

4 - intel driver sucessfuly installed, rebooted, and pc still working ok with only this driver

5 - downloaded latest driver available for radeon 6770m from official amd website

6 - installed, got a eternal black screen during process (after hearing the "windows new device found" sound)

6.5 - waited and waited....

7 - forced reset with power button

8 - windows booted up with the two graphics deactivated in device manager

IMG_20180301_082949.jpg

IMG_20180301_081612.jpg

IMG_20180301_083217.jpg

IMG_20180301_083330.jpg

Video link from the process here: VID 20180301 083656 - YouTube

-------------------------------

Second try with hp webpage driver

1 - Removed intel and amd drivers installed before with DDU and rebooted

2 - Used the file supplied from hp to install intel and amd drivers

3 - Installation complete with no errors, rebooted the pc after the process

4 - Got black screen again after the windows loading logo

IMG_20180301_084549.jpgIMG_20180301_084645.jpg

Video link from the process here: https://youtu.be/j--G49GMrKs

------------------------------

Made more tries after with some versions of leshcatlabs, again with no success (blackscreen)

0 Likes
ruidelima
Adept I

Hello, so i made some more tries with no success, blackscreen always appears after installing ati drivers no matter the version. How can i identify if ati chip is somehow dead? (hes still detected in device manager :/)

0 Likes
ruidelima
Adept I

Good evening everyone, im still looking for a solution and help to diagnose whats wrong.

If the gpu chip is dead or it needs reballing it shouldn't be detected by windows and appear in device manager right?

0 Likes

I probably shouldn't even be commenting here as I have very little experience with the laptop drivers. I have run into this before though where the driver was actually being messed up by Windows downloading a newer driver for it. You might try disabling Windows update from updating drivers. It may be what messed you up to begin with. While I know that much of the time you have to have the latest updates to install the amd drivers, since you are on legacy drivers anyway. Maybe install Windows while disconnected and then immediately install your downloaded drivers and give that a go. Just thinking outside the box since the normal methods are not working for you.

0 Likes
ruidelima
Adept I

Hello, already tried with blocking windows drivers to be installed automatically. Tried legacy, newest available at respective pages and even leshcat versions.

0 Likes
ruidelima
Adept I

Hello, im here to report that a homemade reflow worked so far for me and revived my AMD chip. One more sucessfull story with hot air gun. Hope it lasts a year more or two

IMG_20180528_232603.jpgIMG_20180529_015634.jpg

Hi, I am also facing the same issue, can you please guide me through the process.

0 Likes
masterm_nd
Journeyman III

Hi  there,

I'm having the same problem since 1 year now.. I've tried every "possible fix" that can be found on the web, with no success.

Did the reflow really worked ?

Anyone else facing the same issue ?

Any other suggestion ?

0 Likes

Hey man. hope you still get the message, i got the same problem since 2015, i bought an other laptop because of this. no luck to solve the problem , after all this years i have been use it just with intel graphics  (intel hd 3000) and is "ok" but no gaming stuff... SO... in deed there are many people with this problem. and to be honest i think is the GPU is Dead. Never  use Reflow. i think that might be the solution , Greetings ! 

patelyogesh2
Adept I

I have same issue.

Is my GPU dead?

any way to know it?

https://community.amd.com/thread/254813 

0 Likes

Hey man. hope you still get the message, i got the same problem since 2015, i bought an other laptop because of this. no luck to solve the problem , after all this years i have been use it just with intel graphics  (intel hd 3000) and is "ok" but no gaming stuff... SO... in deed there are many people with this problem. and to be honest i think is the GPU is Dead. Never  use Reflow. i think that might be the solution , Greetings ! 

(Copy Paste message )

Neither the Intel or AMD graphics meet the minimum requirements for Win10. If you are using Win7...it must be fully updated before any graphics drivers are installed:

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes

Do you know how to check gpu hardware that is good or not?

0 Likes