cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

loiter21
Journeyman III

Radeon Settings unable to check for updates

I've been using AMD Radeon Settings the past few years without any problems.

I always got a notification about newer updates and I updated my drivers through the application.

I just discovered that it's been a relatively long time since the drivers were updated, I opened the software and when I tried to update I got the message "Unable to connect to the AMD server and check for updates".

I don't have any issues with manually updating the drivers, I know how to do it and I can do it, but I don't understand why I cannot do it automatically through the software.

I did a clean install of the newest drivers and again the software cannot check for updates.

I'm currently with 17.12.1 and I haven't changed anything in my PC.

Any ideas?

System:

Radeon Software Version - 17.12.1

Radeon Software Edition - Adrenalin

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1000 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) (64 bit)

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz

0 Likes
10 Replies

This is Kingfish reply to another OPS with same error in March 2017:Radeon Crimson Update Problem (no connection)

0 Likes

Thanks, but it's not really a solution.

A feature I've been using is not working any more. Downloading manually the drivers does not solve any problem.

0 Likes

Okay, I understand, you want the feature that notifies you of a newer driver and to be able to download lt from Radeon Menu rather than go to AMD Support and have to download it manually.

Kingfish explanation seems to indicate it is not very reliable feature. That is why I posted that Thread. Anyway, hopefully it will start working again. Sometimes AMD Support has problems with its web pages.

If it continues report it through AMD ISSUE REPORT to let AMD Support know about the problem.

Yes, that's right. Because to be honest it's not my top priority and I won't be checking all the time for newer drivers.

On the other hand, this feature has been very reliable for me for more than a couple of years.

I'm wondering if it's really a server problem or a software issue. I get the "unable to connect" immediately, like it doesn't try to connect anyhow.

And judging by my last update it must be about a month I have the issue.

Could you tell me what's the AMD ISSUE REPORT? Is it a forum thing or via the software? Sorry, I have no experience with it.

0 Likes

Have you fixed your update problem? I had the exact same issue you have but jeremyp's solution on your own thread solved it for me somehow. If you haven't tried it and still can't use that convenient update button without it failing, I highly suggest jeremyp's solution. It goes like this:

What solved it for me:

1. Open Internet Explorer
  2. Open Internet Options (sub-menu when you click the gear icon, top right)
  3. Click the Advanced tab
  4. Restore advanced settings
  5. Apply

I don't know which specific setting causes the problem, but this got the update notification working again.

"Resetting all zones to default level" under the security tab might also be required. Mine were already set that way.

Let us know if it worked for you!

0 Likes

Tried the above mentioned method with no luck. Figured I may have done something wrong so I tried again still with no luck. 

Is this still the current fix to the original issue of Unable to check for updates?

0 Likes
jeremyp
Adept I

I'm not a fan of bumping old threads, but I also don't like the top search result (this thread) not offering any real solutions.

I've had this error for months if not longer. The only way I could stay up-to-date on releases was by following Terry Makedon "CatalystMaker" on Twitter. An option if the following doesn't work.

What solved it for me:

1. Open Internet Explorer
  2. Open Internet Options (sub-menu when you click the gear icon, top right)
  3. Click the Advanced tab
  4. Restore advanced settings
  5. Apply

I don't know which specific setting causes the problem, but this got the update notification working again.

"Resetting all zones to default level" under the security tab might also be required. Mine were already set that way.

This! ^^^^
jeremyp you got it! That's what solved my problem! Thank you!

Oh hell yeah! Thank you, this has been bothering me for months! Such an easy fix yet I never would've thought to do that especially for internet explorer which I never use.