Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Long load times in Destiny 2 with 17.12.1 and 17.12.2

System Specs

Gigabyte RX Vega 64 (GV-RXVEGA64-8GD-B, under Custom Loop)

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Adrenaline 17.12.1

Acer XF270H monitor using DisplayPort.

ASRock Professional Gaming X370 (UEFI version 3.10)

Ryzen 7 1800X

Corsair AX 860 PSU

Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM (4x8Gb at 3200 MHz)

Hello all,

Since upgrading to the Adrenaline software (17.12.1 and 17.12.2) the load times when traveling between systems or strikes in Destiny 2 have been atrocious.  After 30 minutes or so, it can take several minutes to load into any playlist.  Reinstalling Crimson 17.11.1 resolves the issue.  Any chance this could be corrected in a future driver release? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Just started playing Destiny 2 again with the 18.8.2 drivers installed.  No load time issues at all.  As far as I'm concerned, this issue is resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
33 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Destiny 2 Long Loading Times and Micro Stutters > Help - PC Support | Forums | Bungie.net

Others have had the identical issue and resolve it with driver reversions.

0 Likes

Further updates.  A friend of mine was playing Destiny 2 with us on a 8350-FX RX480 based system and also took minutes to load into the raid.  I asked if he had installed the updated AMD drivers (17.12.2), and he said he had the day prior.

Rolling back to 17.11.1 quickly fixed his issues as well.

0 Likes

Doesn't look like this issue has been resolved in 18.1.1, and isn't on the known issues list.  Guess it is 17.11.1 for me for the foreseeable future.

0 Likes

Just another update.  I ran the DDU and installed the 18.2.1 drivers and can confirm the issue still exists.  Initially, the game runs great.  But after moving between a few different planets, the load times gradually increase.  Reverting to 17.11.1 once again completely resolves the issue.

Any luck with 18.2.2?

0 Likes

Nope.  Same issue.  I tried doing a complete reinstall of Windows and loading just 18.2.2 without Relive.  Same issue cropped up after I had jumped to a few worlds.  My friends were all loaded into the Leviathan raid long before I got there.  17.11.1 once again corrected the issue.

In 18.2.3 release notes, Destiny 2 is cited as a know issue, but apparently is not the same as we have. I'll try the new driver this weekend.

0 Likes

Yup.  I'm not holding my breath for 18.2.3 to resolve the issue.  I'll just stick with 17.11.1 for now.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hmmm, it seems like the mid February Windows 10 update has resolved the issue.  I just installed the update, and everything seems to be running fine with 18.2.3.

0 Likes

I don't have same luck with 18.2.3. Must rollback last week after almost 5 minutes in a nightfall loading.Can you check what Windows Update received in February?

0 Likes

Looks like the update was KB4074588.  I'll do some more testing tonight.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Made the known issues list in 18.3.1.  Yeah!!!

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.3.1 Release Notes

0 Likes

Still not fixed?

0 Likes

Nope.  Still on the known issues list for now. But the problem persists.

0 Likes
renusek
Journeyman III

Issue is still present in 18.4.1, the only workaround is to downgrade gpu drivers to 17.11.1, sadly.

0 Likes

That's what I've been doing.  It is at least on the known issues list now, 6 months and counting.  It is possible that the spring update from Microsoft might affect this as well.  I'll report back once I have tested both the latest Destiny patch (due out tomorrow) and the spring update.

0 Likes

I'm using version 18.4.1, no problems so far. Using this reddit tip: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8cty1t/regarding_the_shader_cache_postadrenaline_17121/

- Switch the Cache Shader off and on again.

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Just started playing Destiny 2 again with the 18.8.2 drivers installed.  No load time issues at all.  As far as I'm concerned, this issue is resolved.

0 Likes

Damn.  I'm playing (edit for clarity) Destiny 2, and having the same problem, (/edit for clarity) on a gaming laptop & any driver after 18.3.4 results in the display being disabled, just have to go back even further to see if using 17.11.1 fixes this for me.

Oh right.  I just remembered, that means I'll have to run the registry hack to disable ULPS as well, or else the driver crashes the PC during shutdown...  It only took them 2 years to fix that one after they introduced it.

edit:  I mean, the fact that I said "I'm playing on a gaming laptop", really does imply that I'm playing the same game, and having the same issue.

0 Likes

Recommendation:

AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer (OEM) as the manufacturer has customized the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.

If the current operating system is not the version originally installed on the notebook it may not meet all requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the notebook manufacturer for supported operating systems and drivers.

AMD Mobility Radeon™ Graphics Driver:

AMD provides generic reference drivers for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics with limited support for notebook specific features and functions.

Really?  Use the OEM driver is the cure!?  If AMD recommends only using the original OEM drivers, (they are 15.7.n at this point), then why does the driver keep prompting me to update to the latest driver for the 2 R9 M290x Crossfire cards installed in it? 

(As a side query, once the drivers are in, they cards are identified as HD8970s, only MS drivers identify them as R9 M290x cards.  If you market an updated/upclocked card by a new number, why don't the drivers identify them that way?)

The new drivers are downloaded from AMD as the recommended ones for the cards, by AMD.  So, are you saying that AMD recommends not using the drivers that AMD recommends I use?

0 Likes

You have a laptop computer...which is entirely different than the issue posted. There are many differences in updating a desktop graphics card vs a laptop. Totally different. Laptop graphics update...How to 

Instead of hijacking someones thread...start your own and include > INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION 

I have a gaming laptop with EXACTLY THE SAME ISSUE AS THE OP.  I simply cannot use this fix, because it introduces a different fault caused by the newer driver that AMD recommends for my graphics cards.

Rolling back to 17.11.1 does seem to have helped, by the way, and instead of dozens of only 64kB DX shader cache files, I now have a new 32MB one after playing Destiny 2 again.

0 Likes

The long load times was fixed long ago with new driver(can't recall which one), and is still not a problem on newer drivers. So you will have the same issue by using older drivers.

If you are having some other issue with the game on newer drivers, start a new thread.

Seeing your recent posts on other threads e.g. Black Screen on Laptop , may be a better idea to start a new thread and list your issues/main issue on current driver.

Your going to have a hard time trying to get possible fixes, by posting all over the forum on other threads.

Unsub'd.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

From reading this thread, I did find a solution of sorts, which you would have seen if you read all of the post to which you replied.  Installing the older driver LISTED IN THIS THREAD, (17.11.1), is a partial fix.   The latter 'proper' fix of the newer driver, however does not work, since that driver introduces the problems addressed in the other thread and was only mentioned as an afterthought in my original post, but which you and kingfish seem to have mistakenly taken as my main issue in this thread. You are even replying to my post where I explicitly stated that I had the same problem & this thread gave me a partial fix for it.

0 Likes

In all seriousness though, since your display is disabled in any driver after 18.3.4, you are correct that you can't get the fix for the long load times, as they were present up to at least 18.4.1, without going back to 17.11.1.

I would start a new thread and list the model/specs of the laptop following the guidelines posted earlier.

Just to reiterate kingfish‌'s point.  I am the OP of this thread, and as you can see by my system specs posted in the first post, I am clearly not using a laptop.

0 Likes

From searching this fault in many places, the issue seems to be related to the size of the shader cache files stored here %localappdata%\AMD\DxCache by the AMD driver.  Up to 17.11.1 the driver created files that suited the game requirements.  After that, they cache files were limited to 64kB, & this somehow caused the slow load times.  With 'recommended' drivers, I get only 64kB files, but on rolling back to 17.11.1, I now have a new 32MB cache file timestamped from when I next launched Destiny 2.  The load times have also been fixed.  So the problem is not related to the laptop, but to the game & the drivers.

The other issue was just a footnote as to not being able to use the 'AMD recommended' driver, as it introduces a different fault, which kingfish has blown up as if I posted here because of it, rather than the problem we both had, for which I am grateful for finding a fix of sorts in your thread.  The only reason I posted here was that Google gave me a link directly to this thread while I was researching this fault.

0 Likes

I would still put in a ticket with both the OEM and AMD.  You should be able to get a fix for your display issue as it was working up to 18.3.4.  They should be able to add in that fix, allowing you to play Destiny 2 without the long loads and with something actually on the monitor

0 Likes

Agreed.  I have done so, several times since last April.  So have several others from the other thread. In the meantime, I'll stick with the 17.11.1 for now.

Last time I had an issue that I reported here & through the official feedback page, it took them ~2 years to get around to undoing whatever they had done to introduce the issue.  Mind you, we had a functional workaround for that one, so it wasn't as bad as disabling the display is.

0 Likes

Não quero receber mensagem

Em ter, 19 de fev de 2019 às 02:30, pokester <amd-external@jiveon.com>

escreveu:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.outcome>

Long load times in Destiny 2 with 17.12.1 and 17.12.2

pokester

<https://community.amd.com/people/pokester?et=watches.email.outcome>

marked kingfish

<https://community.amd.com/people/kingfish?et=watches.email.outcome>'s

reply on Long load times in Destiny 2 with 17.12.1 and 17.12.2

<https://community.amd.com/thread/224143?et=watches.email.outcome> as

helpful. View the full reply

<https://community.amd.com/message/2899929?commentID=2899929&et=watches.email.outcome#comment-2899929>

0 Likes

Not sure what or why you posted what seems to be an unrelated issue in regards to the topic title.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Sorry.  The original post was because I have been having the same issue as this thread.  I found a fix here, of rolling back to 17.11.1 drivers, but unfortunately the newer drivers that have a proper fix are useless to me.

I edited the original post to state this explicitly as you & kingfish missed that I stated that I play it as well & the implication that the reason for posting was that I have the same issue. 

0 Likes