cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rzbushie
Adept I

FX8370 not working with Msi 970 gaming board.

• MSI Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB OC
    • Desktop
    • Windows 10 64bit
    • ACER R240HY 23.8inch 1920x1080 @60Hz HDMI - HDMI
    • MSI 970 Gaming Bios (MS-7693) V22.4
    • FX 8370
    • Cougar 850W Bronze edition PSU
    • 8GB RAM Patriot Viper 3 Black Mamba
    • HDD 2TB Seagate Baraccuda green Hybrid
    • H100 Corsair cpu watercooling

Good day forum

Please correct me if Im doing this wrong or if a similar thread all ready exists this is my first time doing this so bare with me.

My problem is I recently got a FX8370 hoping to negate any current bottlenecks I'm experiencing with my ancient but faithful Phenom 2 x 6.

Opened the box removed my phenom and put in the FX8370 assuming that because everything has always been pnp this would work but it didnt Im currently getting a black screen no signal keyboard dead mouse dead fans are spinning I can see the pc is on but no post beeps needless to say I cannot enter bios.

I put my old cpu back in no problem working fine after that updated bios to latest for that board still no joy with the FX cpu same result. I then opted resetting bios which I completely forgot about and was sure this was going to work still no joy. This is a brand new cpu came boxed and sealed shipped with amazon and well secured in secondary packaging and no damage to pins or packaging.

Any help would be much appreciated and yes I have looked at MSI forums but not really getting an answer.

Kind regards

0 Likes
10 Replies

Have you updated to BIOS M.4?

0 Likes

I have updated to M.4 yes and this was my first Bios update for this Motherboard and what I found weird is that some previous versions are larger in size(assuming they were repacked). When looking at the list of updates would starting from first release working my way up possibly make a difference?

thanks for your response I really appreciate that.

0 Likes

No there is no need to sequentially update BIOS.

Actually there is a M.5 BIOS for that MB but is in beta stage

On the official support only can get the the M.4 (E7693AMS.M40) but on the forum can get the M.5 beta (E7693AMS.M56)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+         BIOS History for Standard          +              

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MXX For AMD970+SB950,Socket 942,4DDR3,2PCI_EX16,2PCI_EX1,2PCI,6SATA3 ,4USB 3.0,14USB 2.0,HD Audio,Gb LAN

BOM SIO GPIO:       

GPIO77    GPIO76    GPIO75     GPIO74    market name                ERP          PCB

0       0         0          0             970 GAMING              040/050      4.1/4.2

=========================================================================================

Flash Tool:

!!!The first time flashing BIOS at manufactory,

Afude238.EXE

You can use flash tool AFUDOS.EXE(Version 3.03).

EX: c:\AFUDOS EXXXXAMS.YY

================= System Information =====================================================

Product Model    : MS-7693

System Platform : AMD 970

Processor : AM3/AM3+

SouthBridge : AMD SB950

SuperI/O Chip : Fintek F71878

SSID/SVID        : 0x76931462

Audio SSID/SVID  : 0xD6931462

Setup Engine     : GSE II

AMI Veb Tool     : 4.5.5_TOOLS_40

================ OptionRom/Firmware Information ==========================================

RAID ROM : 3.3.1540.14

LAN OptionRom    : 2.1.1.5

================ Reference Code Information ==============================================

AMI Module Version: 4.6.4.1_Agesa_Orochi_053

MSI Module Version: 4.6.4.1_OR_053_AGESAMSI_m013

AMI BaseCode :  4.6.5.4_VEB_1APEF037

================ Flash Tool Information ==================================================

AFUDOS Version   : 3.03

BIOS Flash tool:    afude238.exe

==================================================================================*

Model: MS-7693 PCB:4.1/4.2          Author: Ding Hua

New Version: E7693AMS.M56 Build Date: 11/24/2016

Old Version: E7693AMS.M55

Description for FAE:

1.Fix ROMHole must first erase before writing.

==================================================================================*

New Version: E7693AMS.M55 Build Date: 06/07/2016

Old Version: E7693AMS.M54

Description for FAE:

1.Fixed device duplicate in bbs table.

New Version: E7693AMS.M54 Build Date: 05/30/2016

Old Version: E7693AMS.M53

Description for FAE:

1.Update SLI key.

Model: MS-7693 PCB:4.1/4.2          Author: Sara Zhi

New Version: E7693AMS.M53 Build Date: 03/23/2016

Old Version: E7693AMS.M52

Description for FAE:

01. Correct translations as below:

Power Off = §¯§Ö §Ó§Ü§Ý§ð§é§Ñ§ä§î §ã§Ú§ã§ä§Ö§Þ§å

Power On = §£§Ü§Ý§ð§é§Ú§ä§î §ã§Ú§ã§ä§Ö§Þ§å

Last State = §±§à§ã§Ý§Ö§Õ§ß§Ö§Ö §ã§à§ã§ä§à§ñ§ß§Ú§Ö

Model: MS-7693 PCB:4.1/4.2          Author: Sara Zhi

New Version: E7693AMS.M52 Build Date: 02/19/2016

Old Version: E7693AMS.M51

Description for FAE:

1.Fix it cannot change OEMID and TABLEID when Win8 feature enabled.

New Version: E7693AMS.M51 Build Date: 01/15/2015

Old Version: E7693AMS.M40

Description for FAE:

1.Update MsiOc-Orochi-Gaming to MsiOc_Orochi_Gaming_m016.

1.1. Fix unlock CPU Core function incorrect.(960T)

2.Fixed in SETUP screen open Help frame and move KB or mouse will hung 0Dh.

3.Fixed in SETUP OC PAGE press right/left key will select many items.

PS: There is other versions on the txt file, but i only paste from the official version to the latest version.

Hi

I was totally unaware I'm about to try that right now thanks for both your efforts so far I will keep you posted.

Thanks!!

0 Likes

Hi

Just an update the BIOS update dit not work I was pretty sure this was the fix I was looking for.

Next step based on what I have been reading I'm gonna try different RAM I have an old set of of 4gig DDR3's lying around as I've read that certain processors are just not compatible with certain memory types. Ive gotta speed up the troubleshooting process now as I got till 22nd March should I need to return the CPU if conclusion is faulty cpu.

Regards

Nico

0 Likes

Ryzen is very picky about RAM, and you should only use modules on the motherboard's QVL list or ones which are specifically mentioned to work with Ryzen processors, such as G.Skill Flare.

0 Likes

I'm not currently running Ryzen yet still on AM3+ planning to do so within the next 2 years though wanna exhaust my current build I got too much that will go to waste If I change now, but as for the QVL list your talking about I did a search on officially tested ram used with FX8370 and found that my Patriot Vipers are not there so we got really good Isolation going here now I feel root cause is close. Also a buddy at work will be bringing his FX8300 build to work tmrw and I will bring my pc with the FX8370 thats not getting detected and we will be doing some vice versa swops to see what works with who.

0 Likes
rzbushie
Adept I

Solved! my memmory (Patriot Viper Black Mamba) incompatible with cpu strange because they worked just fine on my phenom 2 chip but when I use my old Apacer's DDR3 it posts and everything. Also when I add my Vipers in addition to my old ram it works my Vipers just get nerfed for obvious reasons and they just dont work on their own.

Im just glad everything works now.

Thanks for the contributions guys.

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

ram compatibility

https://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_3193.pdf

Patriot is max. DDR3-1600 speed on this board

0 Likes