cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

chrislorguy
Adept I

can i upgrade from a6 4400m to a10 5750m my laptop: HP Laptop Pavilion g4-2029wm

i was wondering if i can do this upgrade from trinity to richland since the a6 4400m isn't really cutting it and yes I know I can upgrade to a a10 4600m but I want the a10 5750m because of its superior igpu I found posts from other websites that i may have to do a bios update if so where could i get this update

0 Likes
18 Replies
chrislorguy
Adept I

sorry wrong laptop i meant pavillion g4-2235dx

0 Likes

Trinity and Richland are socket compatible, and in my experience notebooks will work with either IF the BIOS has been updated to recognize Richland processors.

I didn't find the BIOS on HP's support site for the notebook. Maybe try installing the HP Support Assistant, let it scan the computer, and see if it will find a BIOS update. At least it can tell you which BIOS is installed, and from the date you can determine if it was released before or after Richland.

0 Likes

The bios is Insyde F.26 2/21/2013

0 Likes

Richland processors launched on 3/12/2013 so the BIOS may be new enough.

0 Likes

I found some bios updates on the hp website one was for F.26 3/1/2013 and one for september 9 2016 but the 2016 one is weird this is what it says about the 2016 one

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

F.2A Rev.A 7.6 MB Sep 19, 2016

when i downloaded it and ran it, it showed me something about insyde flashing bios or something and I have no idea how to use it. Do you have any clue on how to use it?

0 Likes

Have you tried installing the HP Support Assistant? It can scan your hardware, select the correct BIOS. and install it.

If you are not sure that the BIOS is correct for your model notebook, then do not attempt to execute the update. Incorrect BIOS can result in a nonfunctional motherboard.

0 Likes

I have windows 10 but I can't find any updates for windows 10 but there were some for windows 8 and someone told me that it did not matter what os I had.

0 Likes

Right, the OS shouldn't matter when updating the BIOS.

0 Likes

oh yeah sorry for being late on this but I have already upgraded the apu a long time ago and it is fully functional no problems at all! I gotta say it's a big performance jump. I recently bought 1866mhz 2x4 8gb ram to boost my laptop's performance even more, should be here soon. I wanted 2x8 16 gb 1866mhz but it's too darn pricey, and i wanted ssd too but WHY COST SO MUCH

Great to hear that it worked.

0 Likes

Hello everyone,

can you help me? I have a HP pavilion G6-2149sl with A6-4400m APU (Trinity, socket FS1r2) and BIOS Insyde F.26 2/21/2013. I would like to upgrade and I already bought a (used) A10-5750m (Richland) after have read some posts like the one in here. I changed the APU and the notebook does not even boot: black screen with F12 orange led on and the caps lock blinking once (an pause) continuously. I went back to my A6 (and the notebook works good) and tried to upgrade BIOS to the latest version on HP site but it didn't work: I get an error reading the actual BIOS...

so: are the mb and BIOS compatible with A10-5750m and I got a damaged APU (I bought on the web)?

0 Likes

The F.26 BIOS is likely too old, since it is 2/21/2013 but the Richland APUs became available in March 2013.

The latest BIOS is F.2A from 9/19/2016 and can be found here:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp77001-77500/sp77491.exe

0 Likes

As I wrote before, I tried, but I get an error message upgrading the BIOS, something like "ihisi: get platform info fail in smi": any suggestion?

0 Likes

Spoiler

Hello,

I also tried to update my BIOS to the newer versions but everytime I got this exact error code. 

So i searched it up how to patch it and there is a way to do it, by decrypting the BIOS update .bin file.(https://youtu.be/O2W6FZ64dmI)

If your laptop is able to install a .bin file directly from the BIOS or if it works with insydeFlash you can do it this way.

For me it did not work and because of that i went on with upgrading only to the A10 4600M version, which also gave me a enormous Performance Boost!

So if you are planning to upgrade to A10 5750M first check if your laptop supports the newest BIOS before buying!

My laptop: HP Pavilion g6-2103ax with A6-4400M APU (original)

0 Likes
zzavarivach
Adept I

Since I will trying to do the same on my G7 2050m, I think the key to updating bios is that the insyde flashing tool is made for windows 8. I have the exact same errors on windows 10.

Ordered a cheap A10 5750m and will update how it goes next week

0 Likes

Can confirm my procedure, after several attempts on win10, the way I did it was:

- install windows 8

- apply bios update, without a problem the exe file.

- install new cpu A10-5750

- install windows 10 again, finish

Can't feel dramatic difference yet but now Im waiting for a 16gb ram kit to tryout and hopefully it will be enough to refresh this beautiful lapuand not go to waste.

Can't expect too much but hey if its a bargain why not.

0 Likes

Hello there, what program did you use to upgrade the BIOS?

0 Likes
zzavarivach
Adept I

After the above steps, can confirm that the laptop is refreshing, runs a bit better, and allowed 16gb ram! Chrome is happy .

To everyone trying, you have to install windows 8 first, you dont have to have a license for it, just a trial so you can run the bios update. Then install windows 10 and voila.