cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

pamela_husky
Journeyman III

ATI Readon HD 6450 driver bugs in Windows XP X64 Edition.

I purchased an ATI Readon HD 6450 for my computer running Windows XP X64 edition and the first issue I noticed was that the drivers for it had no digital signature meaning that the compatibility with Windows cannot be verified.  I had to reinstall it a few times because I kept getting error messages during the install of the control center and once I installed it; I began to notice a lot of bugs.  If I'm playing a game the second monitor starts glitching and the computer ends up freezing and I have to wait a few minutes for the GPU to reset.  It has also caused system crashes that permanently damaged my operating system causing my entire computer to have poor performance despite it's 8 processing cores.  I tried to find a different version of the driver on the AMD website but I just had the same issue.  Can someone please fix this problem and issue an update?  I expect it to come with proper drivers for all operating systems it advertises to support without critical faults.@   

0 Likes
7 Replies

Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft nor AMD, and no driver updates will be released.

0 Likes

The video card I purchased advertised as being supported for it and provided a driver.

0 Likes

The last driver is 14.4, https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+XP+-+64&RenderOnServer=true no new drivers will be released due to the fact Microsoft terminated support for Windows XP.

0 Likes

Once you read supported products, the one I have is not listed even tho you can select the exact model when you get to it.  The disk that came with it even has problems.

0 Likes

Windows XP 64bit, was a poorly supported OS all the way around. It is likely there never was a driver that worked well. I highly recommend you update to a Newer OS that supports your hardware. If Windows does not, you might try a new user friendly Linux distro such as Ubuntu 64bit. You may be stuck just having to update to a bit newer card or whole newer computer , especially if you you don't even have PCIe. Good news is there are lots of great cheap used machines out there. Good Luck!

0 Likes

I'm sticking with the current version I have because every version of windows that came out after is full of bugs and I could go out through 10 pages of why Linux is the worst choice since you have to be a coder to solve half of it's problems and the people who make it say it's user friendly to get people to use it.  I don't know where you got the idea of getting a whole new computer when the one I have is twice as powerful as anything I find.  I'm not doing anything that requires spending money and ruining the performance of my computer.  The driver was provided for this version but it contained bugs so I'm trying to find another version of it, not spend a bunch of money on a new computer or different operating system that will break the performance and compatibility with applications.

0 Likes

Pamela,

Was only trying to help you. Guess your entitled to your opinion on Linux, but you sure as heck don't have to have any experience to use many of the distributions out there.

But if it is your desire to stay on an insecure, outdated, poorly supported (even when it was supported OS) then who are any of us here to stop you? Just seemed like maybe money was an issue so for many people a free Linux distro is a great option. Nobody in the Linux community is forcing anyone to use there stuff, kinda the point of the OPEN COMMUNITY.

Now it seems that you big grip here as far as I can tell with the drivers on this site for your card regarding Windows XP 64 bit are lack of digital signature, which I can only assume you mean WHQL certification. That is likely because the last driver was a beta. Often the last drivers released for newly unsupported cards are beta non-whql. AMD makes one final kind gesture of giving one last driver.

You may have missed the link to the right of that driver for the older drivers and there are plenty of WHQL drivers older than that to try out. Maybe one works better for you. If you are trying to play a game newer than that it is unlikely, and at that time 64 bit Windows was not a good gaming platform and had horrid support, unlike today. Here is the link to those older drivers. Previous

I hope you find something your happy with, AMD won't be making you any new drivers for that OS or card.

Good Luck!

0 Likes