Drivers & Software

sailortrash55
Journeyman III

R9 M290X graphics driver updating wrong

Laptop details:

Alienware 17

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.5GHz 2.50 GHz

16GB of RAM

AMD Radeon R9 M290X (as well as Intel HD Graphics 4600)

Windows 10 Pro

The issue I'm having is that I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 pro and when I try to download and install (even after a total uninstall of the old software) the driver, it will show as the AMD Radeon(TM) HD8970M (which is NOT what I have). Shortly after finishing the install my computer will instantly freeze up. I then have to use the power button to turn the computer off and when I try to start it back up, everything loads however all I get is a black screen where the log in page should be. The only time I've ever been able to get the driver to work is when windows lists it as microsoft default and I right click on it, then hit update driver and all of the sudden it will install the proper Radeon R9 M290X driver. But something is wrong, I can't open the AMD settings anymore and there is some disk usage issues caused by this. PLEASE HELP

0 Likes
8 Replies

First thing to do is check the manufacturers support site and install any new bios or chipset drivers for Win10. Then go to Intel support and install the latest Intel graphics driver...use the automatic search if you wish. (This update will be the final one offered by Intel). The Intel driver must be installed before attempting to install the AMD drivers.

Make sure you select the correct AMD driver:

Correct driver > https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

Clean install the AMD drivers > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Laptop graphics update...How to

The AMD R9 M290X (not to be confused with the R9 290X) is a rebranded HD 8970. Happens all the time...the forum should have a sticky.

Radeon R530 showing up as R7 M440 after software Upgrade - Dual Graphics Laptop

Ok so I followed your instructions, still the same issue. One thing that I noticed though is that when I go to check my windows updates I see these two

1: Advanced Micro Devices - MEDIA - 10/30/2017 12:00:00 AM - 10.0.1.5

2: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon R9 M290X

Should I get rid of the AMD driver I have now and try installing this? If i remember it will work and show as the R9 M290X but the AMD settings does not open if its even there.

0 Likes

As I mentioned...don't be concerned that the graphics says 8970...it means nothing. It is the correct driver. Radeon R530 showing up as R7 M440 after software Upgrade - Dual Graphics Laptop

To stop/delay Microsoft from automatically installing changing drivers...use one or more of the methods here > Windows 10 Help Forums

Delete the CONTENTS of the C:/AMD folder of all previous drivers.

0 Likes

I followed your instructions, and still ended up with the HD 8970 driver but it works. So I was able to play GTA 5 at a pretty high quality but I ran into a snag. Windows 10 automatically installed drivers for the R9 M290X and removed the old ones, leaving me with a driver that doesnt work properly. Any thoughts?

0 Likes

I had the same issue - my fps has been dropping while playing games like Dota 2 or even CS GO.

I disabled windows update to make sure the two drivers from windows update are not installed.

I played a couple of games of Dota 2 and it worked all fine but then again during the third game fps dropped and never went up beyond 47 fps.

As I check the core clock of the GPU it seems that the GPU doesn't want to use beyond 450 mhz instead of the full power of 950mhz.

I am trying to install earlier versions of the driver now as the laptop is a bit old and I think may be the newer version of AMD driver is not compatible with other hardware and drivers. I will drop a note here if this fixes the problem.

Btw.. I have the same laptop version. So in case you find a fix do let me know.

0 Likes

So - i have found out a solution around the insta freeze problem after fresh installation of windows. Turn off windows update from Services.msc - first stop the update service and then set it to disable windows update.

Do not let the windows update install either of

1: Advanced Micro Devices - MEDIA - 10/30/2017 12:00:00 AM - 10.0.1.5

2: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon R9 M290X

My system is now at least booting but then when i play games the GPU throttles. it is using only 450 MHz of the total 950 MHz. The best result I have had so far is with Crimson Relive 17.9.3 but still have throttle issues.

Let me know if you have found a work around for the issues.

0 Likes

The last working confirmed driver for the M290X is 18.3.4, but even that driver has it's own set of issues. Games will stutter or flicker or one of another dozen things.

But hey, at least your screen will work!

0 Likes
har665
Journeyman III

I created an account just so I could reply to you guys.

I know this is old but I have been struggling with it for about 2 years myself, until last night. (100% working properly now)

You've probably figured out by now that the HD8790M listed in your drivers IS in fact what you have in your GX60. A nice big "F you" to MSI and AMD for simply RENAMNG that GPU as R9m 290X - it's a complete deception to make it seem like the (at the time) latest and greatest, but it sadly has about 40% of the ability of a desktop R9 290X. consider that the GTX 970M had about 80-85% of an actual GTX970, it was completely unfair to rebadge as R9m 290x. Hell; I fell for it!

I had it all figured out when I last looked into it, but have forgotten most of what I learned about this issue. But it's something along these lines:

The IGPU and descrete GPU require different drivers. Those drivers are no longer compatible with each other in that one will only work on older versions of windows 10, and the other driver will NOT work with older versions of W10.

The solution: - You may not like this. GO BACK TO WINDOWS 8.1

I managed to get the dedicated graphics working again for a short time in windows 10 (it previously works fine, until one random update), but it would then update itself out of existence every time I started windows or breathed on it. Last night I went back to Win8.1 64bit, downloaded the drivers straight from MSI 

and everything is working now. - I previously put it off because I wasn't sure if I COULD roll back the OS (without buying a new licence). but it was pretty smooth.

1. Download windows 8.1 64bit ISO from Microsoft (links don't want to transfer so copy and paste)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO

2. Download a small program called ISO to USB and use it to mount the ISO as bootable windows 8.1 USB (FAT32) - you will need an 8GB stick with nothing on it (it will be deleted)

http://www.isotousb.com/

3. Install windows 8.1, (I didn't get asked for a key, but I did have to log into it with my Microsoft account details - so for now I have to use a password - sort that out later) - you may need to mash buttons on startup to get to the BIOS to set the USB (when plugged in) as the highest priority boot device to get it going (F3 I think? - if not DEL or F5 or F12)

4. Download the normal drivers for this laptop straight from MSI (they have the correct 8.1 64bit drivers) and whatever bloatware you like (keyboard lighting etc)

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GX60-3CC-Destroyer#down-driver

5. Enjoy playing games on the WORST laptop ever created XD - shitty win10 support, eye straining 15.6" display in a 17" form factor (now with more BEZZEL!), both hands required to change volume, The speaker output of a musical greeting card, and the complete LIE that is the R9 M290X. I can never buy another MSI product. But at least it's no longer bricked.

0 Likes