cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

neo110
Adept I

Fresh build Ryzen 5 2400g Raven Ridge APU: no POST, no beeps

Just finished a fresh build with all-new parts with the new Ryzen 5 2400g Raven Ridge APU. I'm not using an external graphics card. Other parts:

• Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H
  • AMD Wraith Stealth Heatsink-fan
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mHz C15 16gb (2x8)
  • Samsung 960 Pro 512gb NVMe SSD (m.2 pcie 3.0 x4)
  • Mini-box picoPSU-160-XT, with bundled 192 watt 12v AC/DC adapter.

The system powers on with the power button, but does nothing else. does not output any display on any of the ports. Lights on the board come on, and fans spin up, my SSD also starts to get warm. That's it. The system also shuts down if I hold the power button for ~4 seconds. I have installed a motherboard speaker, and to my surprise, don't get any beep codes on startup.

I tried all different DIMM configurations including just 1 8gb DIMM in each slot individually and even no DIMMs installed. And yes, I have connected the 12v CPU power. In fact, I followed all the steps on Tom's Hardware checklist for no POST, including re-seating the CPU and basically rebuilding the whole system as well.

I suspect RAM compatibility, but I have no other RAM to test the system with. I suspected the motherboard, but at this moment Gigabyte's US home page proudly displays "Gigabyte AM4 boards ready to support 2000 series APUs", which links to a page of every single current AM4 board including mine... so I think I'm covered. The 2400g is also listed in the compatible processors page of my motherboard on gigabyte.us. The fact that I have no beep codes on power-up from the motherboard speaker whatsoever is what leads me to believe the motherboard I have is faulty.

If anyone can suggest anything else to try or if any of these components are known to be incompatible, it would be a huge help. I'm completely at a loss of what to do next.

0 Likes
1 Solution
6 Replies
neon
Miniboss

If you received an old stock motherboard, then it will require a UEFI update to be compatible with Raven Ridge. Compatible UEFIs started coming out in December, so maybe you have an old one.

thanks neon. I bought this board in February hoping it would come with the BIOS update. Any possible way to find out what version is installed? I don't have any other CPU to test the system with. It seems insane that I can't even get far enough to update the BIOS while the boards are being advertised as compatible without any fine print.

0 Likes

According to the CPU Support list for your board you need BIOS version F10 or higher.

GA-AB350M-D3H (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A.

Also, this might help, if you have not already read this...

AMD Shipping Free APUs to Customers to Address Firmware Update Issue 

0 Likes
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

MODERATOR NOTE:  I am glad to see you have resolved your issue. To help keep this post on topic and help other with a similar issue, I am locking this thread.

0 Likes