Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

forthefunofit
Journeyman III

Install AMD chipset drivers - "Another instance is running" error on Win10

Hi,

as an early adopter of the X399 platform, I have a Threadripper system running since a some months. It took a bit of effort in the beginning to get it working, and I pulled drivers from various sources. Now that a few months have passed and that I'm having only a few minor issues, I thought it might be a good time to install current drivers that are hopefully meanwhile further developed and stable.

So I downloaded that latest version of chipset drivers from the AMD web site (18.10_feb), and unpacked the archive onto D:\AMD (where the previous version was as well). However, when I then double click on setup.exe to start the install, Windows10 just tells me "Another instance is running".

What do I need to do in order to install the drivers?

Thanks.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Probably the old version in the C:\AMD Chipset folder is causing the problems.

Delete the C:\AMD Chipset folder. Download the latest Chipset from AMD Support. reboot the computer to be sure no other installation is running.

Try to install the Chipset from the .EXE without unpacking it. If it doesn't update the drivers you want from the Chipset. Go to Device Manager and click on "Update Driver" and then "Properties" on the drivers that you believe needs updating and direct it towards the C:\AMD Chipset folder. If the driver is newer it will install it.

0 Likes

The old version was in D:\AMD as well. What I noticed after a reboot, however, is that after the first click, Setup.exe appears to be running. According to the task manager, it is idling as a background process, even for hours, without doing anything...?

If I try to update drivers by pointing Windows to \AMD in the device manager, I always get the message that the best driver is already installed...?

0 Likes

Probably means you have the latest Chip driver for the computer already installed. If the driver in D:\AMD Chipset would have been newer it would have updated it automatically.

0 Likes
dealazer
Journeyman III

Use Task Manager "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" and kill process AMD Software which you find in background processes then install the drivers.

0 Likes