cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jktracey
Journeyman III

Computer Locks Up With Green/Striped Screen - R9 270x Crimson 17.12.1 (see second post for picture)

Hi. I have an AMD setup that I built myself and have been having some problems for quite some time now. I think I have narrowed down the issue to the videocard as I have bought a new power supply and CPU recently but still having crashes. I've tried reinstalling drivers and reformatting my PC completely but for some reason when I'm playing games or watching high quality video streams my screen will kind of stutter and then sometimes just randomly crash altogether showing vertical lines going down my screen. Sometimes when this happens my screen will come back and say the display drivers crashed but were recovered, other times I have to restart my computer completely. This will happen quite often on games like PUBG and then less often on games like Diablo 3, but altogether it is very frustrating. Is there anything I can post on here for someone to take a look at my system and see what might be causing the issue before I buy any more new parts?

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

21 Replies

Sorry wasn't sure what was needed first time using this website. Here are my specs, let me know if you need more or if there is anything I'm missing:

Desktop PC

Videocard: AMD Radeon R9 270x 4gb 256 bit

Driver: AMD Radeon 17.12.1

Monitor: Samsung LCD B2030 1600x900 @60Hz VGA

Motherboard: MSI MS-7693 BIOS version 04.06.04

CPU: AMD FX 4350 Quad-Core 4.2 GHz

Power Supply: EVGA 750 GQ 210-GQ-0750-V1 80+ GOLD 750W Semi

RAM: 12gb

Here is a picture of basically what is happening to my computer: https://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1545/15454190/2701149-dsc03460.jpg (this is not my picture but it's the same issue)

Again this happens on every game I play and sometimes during high quality streams. I can turn the graphics down to lowest possible but games will still freeze up on me or crash my display drivers.

0 Likes

First...did you fully update Win7?

Are you using or have installed any third party graphics controllers..ie afterburner, trixx, asus ?

Have you set the Power Limit in Wattman to the highest + value? AMD graphics performance

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

I didn't have a legit copy of Windows 7 so I did actually buy Windows 10 and fully update and reinstall my display drivers. So far I haven't had the vertical lines freeze, but I have had my screen stutter/flicker and it crashed once to a black screen when playing PUBG. On other games so far it has worked but I'm worried it will keep crashing and start crashing on other games too.

0 Likes

Radeon Settings, gaming, global, wattman  set the power limit slider (beneath the fan settings)  all the way to the right on max for your card. May be something like +50 or +20 this may give you the stability you need.

0 Likes

What is wattman? I don't see it in my radeon settings

0 Likes

After googling it and finding screenshots of what Wattman is, when I go to my global settings it doesn't have Wattman in it. It only has Global Graphics, Global Overdrive and Performance Monitoring

0 Likes

or this

What does global overdrive have?

Okay I found it, my videocard doesn't have the option for wattman, it was located in the graphics overdrive. I set the power limit, I'll see if this helps

0 Likes

Don't forget to click "apply" when you change it.

Unfortunately that didn't fix it. Still getting crashes during games. Happens almost every match of PUBG and once in awhile on another game.

0 Likes

Also setting a power limit also messes with my computer and makes everything really delayed when I switch between apps or web pages

0 Likes

That's strange > AMD graphics performance

Nope, I'm out of suggestions. But your symptoms are similar to issues caused by using third party controllers (Trixx,Asus,Afterburner,etc).

0 Likes

It is possible your GPU could be faulty. That screen is often seen when the video memory on the GPU is failing. You could try lowering the memory clock speed by 250Mhz to see if that helps.

0 Likes

I think there is definitely something wrong with my videocard as my old card had nowhere near the amount of problems this one has. The weird thing is it will work fine sometimes then other days it'll crash 10 times in a night. I'll try lowering the clock speed

0 Likes

Use a Diagnostic software to "Stress test" your GPU card and see if it passes. I use OCCT which shows Temperature and PSU outputs while testing.

0 Likes
jktracey
Journeyman III

Power limit did not fix issue. Any other suggestions?

0 Likes

Yes, look for other hardware problems - PSU - Temperatures.

Maybe your GPU is broken.

0 Likes

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
amcci1
Journeyman III

I had this same issue, thought it was my card also.  But after going back in driver versions i found anything prior to 17.11.4 worked without issue.  I actually went back to 17.7.2 as that driver seems to run my games smoothly.  I recently upgraded to the newest 18.2.2 and they seem to be okay, except a graph issue in profile overdrive.  The recorded temp and fan speed % is mucked up, other than that they work fine.  I found a little mod for my card called Radeonmod, it just pulls settings from the registry and puts it in nice format with options to change values.  It only supports a limited number of cards, it can be found here RadeonMod (Tweak Utility) | guru3D Forums​  One thing I noticed when using it is their's an option under tweaks called "UVD Clock Fix" when I tried all versions of adrenalin driver, (except the newest version 18.2.2) this tweak is off by default.  However the version 18.2.2 this tweak is on by default.  Mod will backup registry settings by default on first run, if you decide to try different driver versions, reset defaults if you made changes and click restart driver before installing new driver.  Also you can create multiple backups if you want.  Their's a readme file with mod.  I hopes this helps.  Good luck!

Graphics:              AMD Radeon R7 370, 4096 MB 256 bit GDDR5 SDRAM

User Built System:     Desktop Computer

OS:                    Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 16299.214 (1709/RS3)

Driver Manufacturer:   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Driver Description:    AMD Radeon (TM) R7 370 Series

Driver Provider:       Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Driver Version:        23.20.15017.4003

Driver Date:           6-Feb-2018

Monitor Name:          SAMSUNG

Monitor Model:         S24C350HL     

Display Connection:    HDMI

Video Adapter:         AMD Radeon R7 370

Display Resolution:    1920x1080

Display Refresh Rate:  60Hz

Motherboard:           ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Chipset:               AMD 990FX (RD990) + SB920/SB950

CPU:                   AMD FX-8320 3500 MHz

Power Supply:          Corsair CX750M 750 Watt

Memory:                4X 2048 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - G Skill F3-12800CL8-2GBZH

0 Likes