cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

antiguy1994
Journeyman III

Issue with Unreal Engine 4 involving Amd Driver and Software

I didn't have any issue with games using the Unreal Engine 4 when using 16.40.2902-radeonpro-winx32x64-dell-mobile software but when I installed the newest Radeon™ Pro Software Adrenalin Edition for Dell Mobile version 17.12.2 I noticed graphic issues with a certain game called Dead by Daylight. My issue can be described as the visuals are having a seizure or like playing on a integrated graphics with 1-5 fps while actually getting 30-50 fps. It goes away when I put the game in windowed mode it does if for another game called Fortnite which uses same engine but it goes away when I have v-sync on. I think have narrowed it down to the amd driver version 22.19.693.256  date 12/1/2017 as the cause which I get through a Windows Update.  I don't any issues with any other games besides these two which both use Unreal Engine 4. At the moment I am using only what I got through the Windows Update and not using the amd software. Let me know if there is anything else I need to give.

Edit: I went to the device manager and did a roll back to the AMD FirePro M6100 FireGL V driver version 15.200.1045.0 date 6/22/2015 and the issue went away which confirms my theory that the amd driver version 22.19.693.256  date 12/1/2017 is the cause and need to be patched.

My Specs

Dell Precision m6800

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Version 1709 OS Build 16299.192

CPU: Intel i7 4900MQ 2.80 Ghz

GPU: AMD FIrePro M6100 2GB

RAM: 16 GB

Things I tried

-Uninstalled the driver through windows and Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode.

-Tried every version compatible with my computer

-Contacting the Game Developer and tried everything they suggested

-Uninstalled and Reinstalled the v_credist and directx the master fix forum listed

-Put the game as exclusion on my antivirus and firewall

-Used Administrator and every compability option with the exe

-Tried to force V-sync and Triple Buffer on my Amd Software for the game

-Put the game on high performance on my Amd Software

-Put the priority on High

My DxDiag for the 16.40.2902 Drivers: https://pastebin.com/FCyWrAhX

My DxDiag with Latest Drivers: https://pastebin.com/bM8f9P7e

My DxDiag With Stock Windows Drivers: https://pastebin.com/XD8U7F1E https://pastebin.com/XD8U7F1E

My Graphics Drivers (When I had it installed)

https://pastebin.com/16QYh5qV  16.40.2902

https://pastebin.com/adYdgk2a  17.Q4.1

0 Likes
17 Replies

Sounds like you figured out your own problem! Use the old driver. Good job! Great info too! If you want AMD to get this information you took the time to put together, you probably want to make sure to report it to them through the AMD Issue Reporting Form: AMD Issue Reporting Form   Reporting it here in the forums is no guarantee that anyone at AMD will do anything about it. It is mostly people like you here and just a couple AMD employees. I hate to see a well documented issue not get in the right hands. Good Luck!

0 Likes

Problem is the reporting form doesn't my processor, graphics card or the games I have issues with in that reporting form. I don't know what to do other than post here hoping they will see it.

0 Likes

This does > Email Form

0 Likes

Thank you I sent my information about the issue using this hopefully it can be solved.

0 Likes

I have the exact same issue, did a clean windows install as well to no avail. Did a roll back to the 16.4 drivers as a temporary fix but I don't want to be left behind, updated to the Adrenalyn drivers wishing it was solved but it was no use, I'll keep baring the issue while an official fix comes by, any info you get please let me know as it would help a bunch.

Specs just in case:

i5-4690k @3.5 ghz
16gb RAM DDR3 @1866mhz
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 8gb

Windows 10, drivers and stuff all up to date.

0 Likes

I have found a recent driver version that happens to work with UE4 games.

It is version 23.20.793.0

Date 11/15/2017

It was part of one of the 17.10.1 'optional' updates. So that update package might work for you.

Edit: Apologies, it was version 17.11.2 - optional, that allowed my UE4 to work.

0 Likes

You might want to send an error report off again with what driver does work. Should help them to know exactly what to do to fix it in new drivers. Good job finding your fix. Hope they don't leave it broken.

Good luck!

0 Likes

Well I got back an email back from amd after doing the email form and I got this which leads me to think they are not going to do a thing about it and testing my intelligence. My laptop has always been able to play nearly every game they make a driver that broken and expect me to just deal with it. Basically I am in a situation where I either can configure my graphics card and cant play Unreal Engine Games or not be able to configure my graphics card at all which make a good amount of game use my integrated graphics instead of my dedicated. Its really frustrating and makes me not wanna anything to do with amd when I build my desktop pc either this year or next year. I gave them everything they should really need to fix it and its can't be just me having this issue so I am confused why I got a reply like this.

Dear Joshua,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200789596]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

The Dell Precision M6800 laptop is a workstation class device, designed and optimized for use in professional applications like CAD, 3D Modelling, etc.

It is not designed for 3D gaming.

If a previous driver works for you, I would recommend that you keep using them instead.  Also, I would recommend that you try one of these drivers: https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation/mobile/previous?oem=Dell&os=Windows%2010%20-%2064.

If you have any questions or concerns, if the problems remain or if new problems arise, please do not hesitate to reply to this email directly and I will try to provide any additional information that you may require.

Please be advised that this service request will be permanently closed if you do not reply within 10 days. If more time is needed to respond to my e-mail above, please let me know and I will ensure that this service request remains open for you.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

0 Likes

For some reason or another that contact form will not load for me. Joy.

0 Likes

Went to Lenovo Support for your Precision M6800 Laptop: Support for Precision M6800 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US

Does your laptop have the latest BIOS installed :

Dell Precision M6800 System BIOS

BIOS24 May 2017

Importance: Urgent

Version: A19 ,A19 Older versions

Release Date: 24 May 2017

File Name: M6800A19.exe

File size: 9.67 MB

Description: This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell Precision M6800 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.

The latest Chipset installed :

Download

Intel Management Engine Components Installer

Chipset17 Jan 2018

Importance: Urgent

Version: 11.7.0.1035 ,A00 Older versions

Release Date: 29 Nov 2017

File Name: Chipset_Driver_4J8MX_WN32_11.7.0.1035_A00_07.EXE

File size: 110.61 MB

Description: This package provides the driver for the Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer installs Intel Management Engine Interface Driver, Intel(R) Management & Security Status software, LMS service etc. and is supported on the Dell Latitude, Precision, XPS models, OptiPlex, Inspiron and Workstation Server running the following Windows operating systems: Windows 10 64bit, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Windows 7 32/64 bit, Windows Server 2K12 R2, Windows Server 2K8 and Windows Server 2K16. Note: This driver is required to install in addition to chipset driver.

View full driver details

The latest Video for both Intel and AMD :

Video29 Jan 2018

Video13 Feb 2016

Latest System Management drivers:

Systems Management10 Jan 2018

Systems Management24 Jan 2018

Systems Management24 Jan 2018

Systems Management07 Feb 2018

Systems Management07 Feb 2018

Systems Management19 Jan 2018

Systems Management01 Feb 2018

I dont really want to mess with my bios knowing how risky that can be. I was always taught not to update them badly needed to. I also have never done it and I don't really wanna mess anything up. If you don't mind me asking what lead to believe to update my bios to fix this issue? I am not completely opposed to it doing it just the same reason I don't really want reinstall windows for something I think if not on my side. I know for a fact the system bios are outdated from like 2014. I just don't want it where I mess something up and have more problems then what I started with especially when I think it is something amd causes and needs to fix. I downloaded but yet to install all the dell command update and dell command deploy WinPE 10 driver pack because there is no download to either like the others.

0 Likes

If you never updated your Dell BIOS before or never done a BIOS update then its best not to do it. You make a rookie mistake and your laptop is a paperweight. Best to let someone else with experience to do that. Any way this is from Dell Support concerning updating DELL BIOS from the this link: What is BIOS and How to Update the BIOS on Your Dell System | Dell US

2. Why Should You Update the System BIOS?

Dell recommends updating the BIOS as part of your scheduled update cycle. Like Operating System and driver revisions, the update contains feature enhancements or changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible with other system modules (hardware, firmware, drivers and software) as well as providing security updates and increased stability.

Unlike Windows and Anti-Virus program updates which are usually automatic, BIOS has to be updated manually.

Dell provides an easy to use self installing update package that allows this task to be performed relatively easily.

If you noticed from the copy from Dell Support concerning your drivers updates it says that both the BIOS and Intel Chipsets are URGENT to update. I imagine it means it is very important to update those two things. If you don't update the BIOS is fine but at least update the Intel Chipset and try installing the latest Intel and AMD graphics drivers from Dell using AMD Forum suggestions on how to update your laptop drivers. Lap top graphics update...How to  and How to Configure Laptop Switchable Graphics .

Note: AMD Support did mention that this laptop model was a BUSINESS laptop and not engineered to play games. So I wouldn't expect the laptop to perform the same way a Gaming laptop is going to.

When you say dell has a easy to use self installing update package is that used to update drivers or bios? Also where could I find a link to that tool?

0 Likes

Here is the latest Dell BIOS download page that instructs you on how to install it and to download the latest BIOS:Dell Precision M6800 System BIOS Driver Details | Dell US

This is a copy from that page:

nstallation instructions

BIOS Update Executable for Windows/DOS

Download
1. Click "Download File", to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click Save to save the file to your hard drive.

Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment
1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file.
2. Windows System will auto restart and update BIOS while system startup screen.
3. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot to take effect.

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment, if Legacy Boot mode (Non-Windows users)
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB key.
2. Power on the system, then Press F12 key and Select "USB Storage Device" and Boot to DOS prompt.
3. Run the file by typing copied file name where the executable is located.
4. DOS System will auto restart and update BIOS while system startup screen.
5. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot to take effect.

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment if UEFI Boot Mode (Non-Windows users)
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB key.
2. Power on the system, then go to BIOS Setup by pressing F2 and go to "General > Boot Sequence > Boot List Option".
3. Change "UEFI" to "Legacy" of Boot List Option.
4. Click "Apply", "Exit" to save changes and reboot system.
5. Press F12, then Select "USB Storage Device" and Boot to DOS prompt.
6. Run the file by typing copied file name where the executable is located.
7. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot .
8. Go to BIOS Setup by pressing F2 and go to "General > Boot Sequence > Boot List Option".
9. Change "Legacy" to "UEFI" Boot Option.
10. Click "Apply", "Exit" to save changes and reboot system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note 1: You will need to provide a bootable DOS USB key. This executable file does not create the DOS system files.
Note 2: Please make sure you suspend BitLocker encryption before updating BIOS on a BitLocker enabled system.
If you don't enable BitLocker on your system you can ignore it

BE 100% CERTAIN THAT THIS IS THE CORRECT BIOS FOR YOUR DELL M6800 LAPTOP!  IF YOU INSTALL THE WRONG BIOS YOU WILL BRICK YOUR LAPTOP.
GO TO DELL SUPPORT AND LOCATE YOUR LAPTOP AGAIN TO BE SURE IT IS THE CORRECT LAPTOP AND BIOS. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS AT ALL DON't DO IT.
MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP IS CONNECTED TO A WALL OUTLET WHEN UPDATING THE BIOS TO PREVENT THE COMPUTER SHUTTING DOWN DURING BATTERY POWER.
ALSO DOWNLOAD THE OLD BIOS YOU HAVE INSTALLED IN CASE YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW BIOS. THAT WAY YOU CAN REVERT BACK TO THE FUNCTIONING OLD BIOS! 
I have everything in bold because it is very important. Updating BIOS in newer computer is relatively easy but if your laptop loses power or the installation of the BIOS is interrupted, you will have a paperweight.
THIS LINK SHOWS YOU, IF YOUR LAPTOP SUPPORTS BIOS RECOVERY, HOW TO RECOVER A CORRUPT OR BADLY INSTALLED BIOS WITH DELL LAPTOPS:BIOS Recovery options on a Dell PC or Tablet | Dell US  

Which Dell PCs and tablets support BIOS Recovery?

The following table lists those Dell systems that originally supported BIOS Recovery when they shipped from the factory:

AlienwareInspironYourLatitudeOptiPlexPrecisionTabletXPS
Alienware X51 R3Inspiron 3059 All-in-oneYour 3250/3650/3653Latitude 3470 / 3570OptiPlex 3040Precision Mobile 3510Venue 10 Pro 5056XPS 12 9250
Alienware Echo 13 R2Inspiron 3459 All-in-oneYour 5450 All-in-oneLatitude 3640 / 3560OptiPlex 3240Precision Mobile 5510Venue 8 Pro 5855XPS 13 9350
Alienware Echo 15 R2Inspiron 5459 All-in-oneYour 3459/3559Latitude 5175 / 5179OptiPlex 5040Precision Mobile 7510 / 7710XPS 15 9550
Alienware Echo 17 R3Inspiron 7459 All-in-oneyour 5459Latitude 7370OptiPlex 7040Precision Workstation 3420XPS 8900
Inspiron 3158 / 3153Latitude E5270OptiPlex 7440Precision Workstation 3620XPS 13 9360
Inspiron 3250 / 3153Latitude E5470
Inspiron 3459 / 3559Latitude E5570
Inspiron 5457 / 5557Latitude 7380
Inspiron 5459 / 5559 / 5759Latitude 3390 2-in-1
Inspiron 7359 / 7353Latitude 3490 / 3590
Inspiron 7559Latitude 7390 2-in-1
Inspiron 7568

However the best way to identify if your system shipped with this is to check:

• Did your Client or Consumer system ship before December 2015? If so check the table above.
  • Did your Client or Consumer system ship after December 2015 and with the Intel Skylake chipset? If so it will also support the BIOS Recovery 2 capability. If not, check the table above.
  • Did your Client or Consumer system ship after August 2016 or with the Intel Kaby Lake chipset? If so it will also support the BIOS Recovery 3 capability.

More enhancements to these recovery options are expected to come as the technology improves.

How do I identify if my Dell PC supports BIOS recovery?

If your system is in a working condition, follow these steps to identify if your Dell PC supports BIOS recovery:
  1. Restart the PC.
  2. Press the F2 key on the keyboard several times until the PC enters the BIOS setup.
  3. If you find the option BIOS Recovery from Hard Drive in the BIOS setup, your Dell PC supports BIOS recovery 2.
  4. If BIOS Recovery from HDD is enabled and there is a BIOS Auto-Recovery field settable in the BIOS setup, your Dell PC support BIOS recovery 3.

If your system is NOT in a working condition, check if it matches one of the systems in the table in the drawer above or if it was manufactured after Dec 2015 and has the Intel Skylake chipset. If so, your system should support the BIOS recovery 2 feature and BIOS recovery may be attempted.

If your system is NOT in a working condition, check if it matches one of the systems in the table in the drawer above or if it was manufactured after Aug 2016 or has the Intel Kaby Lake chipset. If so, your system should support the BIOS recovery 3 feature and BIOS recovery may be attempted.

Note: There could be slight variation in description of the option between different types of BIOS that are implemented on Dell PCs. The presence of BIOS Recovery from Hard Drive in the BIOS setup identifies that the Dell PC supports BIOS recovery.

0 Likes

After reading all this I am gonna just wait till they patch the windows update 1709 to make sure that isn't the issue. I am not comfortable to be honest messing with the bios on this $1200 laptop yet. I really do appreciate the information and will use it as resource in the future just right now I think it be dumb of me attempting to update them. Since its only 2 games I am having issues with and its not worth risky my entire laptop over if its from the windows update 1709 drama. I have a older laptop that I could possible use in the future as a test dummy if I need to.

0 Likes

Sounds like a good idea also. I know that updating BIOS will sometimes make drivers compatible with the Windows upgrade or update.

But in your case, if your laptop is working fine as is except for a couple of games. It is not worth updating the BIOS since the Laptop is not made to play games anyway.

But, as you mentioned, you have all the info for updating your BIOS in case your laptop starts having other problems with installed software or drivers in the future.

0 Likes

Well its something I can't simply avoid because I am literally waiting for my degree to be a Network Administrator I am actually now surprised they never taught us how to do a bios update in any of my classes. Like they basically told us not to do it unless you are installing a new os or reinstalling a new os.

0 Likes