cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

supervargen
Challenger

Samsung S27A950D and 3D. Still working with cards newer than R9 290?

Hello.
I have a Samsung S27A950D and R9 290. I play games and watch movies in 3D.

As i understad it i have to use DVI-D (Dual Link) to get 120MHz 3D to work and only cards from AMD.
So, are newer cards from AMD still compatible with this screen and 3D?

Do i need a HDMI-DVI-D cable? Will that work?

0 Likes
3 Replies

The newest AMD GPU card does have DVI-D ports but that depends on the OEM manufacturer. I looked at Asus AMD GPU cards and they all have DVI-D ports RX 400 and RX  500 series cards at Amazon.com.

As to it will be compatible with your Television/Monitor and 3D, I can't answer that. Someone else going to need to assist you in answering that question.

supervargen
Challenger

Ok.. so i was thinking.. if i buy a new card that wont work with 3D, can't i use a second card and change to that one (change the input to DVI-D) on my monitor to receive signal and then play 3D movies with the second card?

If so, what is the cheapest most quiet less power hungry graphics card from AMD i can use for that?

0 Likes
merutsu
Adept II

You need to find out what HDMI and DP versions are supported by your display and then google their bandwidth limits.

I'd used r9 290 connected over display port to benq xl2420t and it worked fine at 120hz refreshrate, but HDMI was limited by 60hz.

Any new graphic card support 120+ hz at 1080p through dvi-d/hdmi/displayport, so it only depends on your display will it work or not.

//there is high probability that 120hz will work over DP too on your display.

0 Likes