cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

teh_hunterer
Journeyman III

Can't install or uninstall AMD Overdrive

I recently ran the AMD cleaner utility to remove my GPU drivers so I could install them again from scratch. All seemed to be fine, until I tried to open AMD Overdrive today and it wouldn't open, presumably because the cleaner utility removed it, too, from my system.

No worries, I thought, I'll just install it again. So I downloaded Overdrive, ran the installer, and it won't install because it says a newer version of the software is already installed.

No worries, I thought, I'll just uninstall what's currently here and run the installer again. So I went into add or remove programs and tried to uninstall, which won't uninstall and gives the error that there is something wrong with this Windows installer package.

So I can't uninstall it, and I can't reinstall it!

I don't think running the AMD cleaner utility is going to do anything, because I already ran it and it didn't remove it completely, apparently.

I would really like to have Overdrive back, so I'd love to see if anyone has any insight to provide! Thank you

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4

GPU: AMD 7870

0 Likes
6 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Windows System Restore should put things back to how they were before you used the cleaner.

Thanks for your reply amdmatt. I appreciate your suggestion, however I don't think someone should have to use system restore for a problem like this. There should be an uninstaller, or a way to delete some file somewhere that is causing the installer to think the program is already installed.

And given that the AMD Cleaner software is supposed to completely remove AMD drivers, you'd think it would actually remove things fully.

If AMD has no solution to this other than system restore, I can only suggest they build their software like Overdrive in a way that it can be uninstalled if the uninstaller is not working properly.

Kind regards,

Hunter

0 Likes

And when you looked in Device Manager what did you see? Yellow marks?

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply, kingfish. I haven't had any trouble with my system or any errors in Device Manager. I wanted to reinstall my GPU drivers because of a problem in GTA V, so I ran the AMD Cleaner application.

It inadvertently removed AMD Overdrive, which I never had a problem with. Except it has removed Overdrive in a way where there is no uninstaller, and when I try to install, it thinks it's already installed :/

0 Likes

Can you try using DDU in safe mode ? I don't know if it's designed to uninstall Overdrive or not, but it's worth a shot.

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.8.3

0 Likes

try downloading the free version of Wise Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller and use the "Forced Uninstall" option to help locate all files and Registry entries from Overdrive.

The problem is the Registry. It still has the registers showing the Overdrive installed even though there may not be any physical files on the hard drive. That is why AMDMATT mentioned to use Restore point. It restores the original Registry and Files back to the way it was before Overdrive was deleted in improperly.

If you are TOTALLY COMFORTABLE in working with Windows Registry you can go to this register and see if Overdrive is still listed: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\  or better yet use "FIND" function to locate all Registry entries for AMD OVERDRIVE. The problem is AMD Overdrive may have hundreds of entries. Before doing any changes make a COMPLETE BACKUP of the Registry in case something goes wrong you can restore it back again before the changes.

Best way is to let one of the above mentioned uninstallers do the job for you. Don't mess with the Registry if you have never done it before. Delete the wrong register and you can brick your Windows OS or other software.