cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jack65
Adept I

AMD driver has stopped working and has recovered - Radeon 8770M Windows 8.1

There HAS to be a WORKING AMD GPU driver that is newer than 2013. It is definitely a driver problem as I get the message from time to time that the "AMD driver has stopped working and has recovered"  When that happens, I also get a blues screen with this message when I shut down: an error code 0 xa 00000001 on my samsung laptop running a SSD with windows 8.1 about once every two weeks lately, usually while running my Adobe CS6 program. The computer suddenly shuts down, and while rebooting gives me that code. I can't remember everything it says as I only had time to scribble the code number.

The latest 2017 drivers do NOT work.

Working GPU drivers for

Samsung ATIV Book 6 NP680Z5E-X01US - Intel Core i7 3635QM

16GB DDR3 1600 memory - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD

4TB WD Passport external Drive via USB - 1GB AMD Radeon 8770M

+ Switchable Graphics - touchscreen panel 15.6 inch 16:9 - 1920x1080

Windows 8.1 x64

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution
benchart
Adept III

Well the Windows 8.1 is not supported anymore, and things are always changing like the Adobe suite, windows updates etc.
It's normal that at some point, not supported systems by AMD start to get more and more problems, since software always keep progressing.

I know this might be a little bit unnaceptable, but you should really upgrade to windows 10, there you will have full support from the drivers.
Dispite Microsoft had stated before that the free upgrade to windows 10 was over, the fact is more and more people continues to download the latest installations of the Windows 10 system, and it activates automatically for windows 7,8,8.1 users.

Probably there is really a driver that works there, but in other hand, it might not work too.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

First, AMD Support doesn't support Windows 8/8.1 anymore.

Second  according to your Intel CPU it has a Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU. I found this link from Intel where you can download the latest driver for your APU here: Downloads for Intel® Core™ i7-3635QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)

Third: Next you need to download the the full set of drivers from AMD Support for the HD8770m GPU here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%208.1%20-%2064

Now it is important that you follow AMD Forum procedure on installing Intel/AMD graphics drivers in a laptop from here: Laptop graphics update...How to

elstaci wrote:

First, AMD Support doesn't support Windows 8/8.1 anymore.

Second according to your Intel CPU it has a Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU. I found this link from Intel where you can download the latest driver for your APU here: Downloads for Intel® Core™ i7-3635QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)

I went through the steps and got this message:

Intel® HD Graphics 4000

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver & Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

0 Likes

Then you need to contact Samsung Support and get the latest Intel and GPU Drivers for your APU before installing the AMD Driver.

0 Likes
benchart
Adept III

Well the Windows 8.1 is not supported anymore, and things are always changing like the Adobe suite, windows updates etc.
It's normal that at some point, not supported systems by AMD start to get more and more problems, since software always keep progressing.

I know this might be a little bit unnaceptable, but you should really upgrade to windows 10, there you will have full support from the drivers.
Dispite Microsoft had stated before that the free upgrade to windows 10 was over, the fact is more and more people continues to download the latest installations of the Windows 10 system, and it activates automatically for windows 7,8,8.1 users.

Probably there is really a driver that works there, but in other hand, it might not work too.

Cheers.

Thank you elstaci & benchart for your response. I will thoroughly check out what you wrote Monday when I have more time. As it is, I just glances at the posts.

First, I'm not interest in going to Windows 10 as the three times I tried to, the computer shut down, quit at exactly 78%. Maybe one of you can tell me why that happen as like you said, Windows don't support 8.1 anymore.

So I want drivers that work for Windows 8.1 I am happy with Win 8.1

I also tried the three 2017 AMD drivers twice and the computer crashed both times so I reverted back to the 2013 drivers. Like I said, there has to be updated drivers between 2013 & 2016 that work with Win 8.1, but I can't seem to find them. Maybe it is listed in the links you provided as I haven't checked those out yet. My crashes only happen when I'm using Adobe CS6 a lot. I'm a professional wildlife & landscape photographer and use this laptop a lot for that, especially CS6.

http://www.1-4u-computer-graphics.com/moskovita-photography.htm

Thanks for your help... I didn't get any help from the other two forums I frequent. They both said to get rid of this laptop. I really like this laptop and want to keep it. I'm into it for $800 too. Other than the occasional CS6 crashes, it works great.

0 Likes

can you post your Laptop's exact Make and Model? 

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

can you post your Laptop's exact Make and Model?

I did in my first post... but here it is again:

Samsung ATIV Book 6 NP680Z5E-X01US - Intel Core i7 3635QM

16GB DDR3 1600 memory - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD

4TB WD Passport external Drive via USB - 1GB AMD Radeon 8770M

+ Switchable Graphics - touchscreen panel 15.6 inch 16:9 - 1920x1080

Windows 8.1 x64

Note: changes from stock: I took out the old HDD and put in the SDD, added 8GB memory, went from Win 8 to 8.1

0 Likes

Have you fully updated Win8.1? The latest updates had a slew of netframework fixes and updates. This is important for AMD drivers:

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Switchable Intel/AMD graphics depend on the latest version of each to function correctly. Go to the Intel support site and check for updates to your drivers..there is a automatic "check for updates" feature. The Intel drivers must be installed (and rebooted) before trying to install the AMD drivers. There is a link here > Laptop graphics update...How to

kingfish wrote:

Have you fully updated Win8.1? The latest updates had a slew of netframework fixes and updates. This is important for AMD drivers:

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Screenshot_31.png

Switchable Intel/AMD graphics depend on the latest version of each to function correctly. Go to the Intel support site and check for updates to your drivers..there is a automatic "check for updates" feature. The Intel drivers must be installed (and rebooted) before trying to install the AMD drivers. There is a link here > Laptop graphics update...How to

OK, my updates are current.WindowsUpdate.jpg

0 Likes

Then I went here:

https://community.amd.com/thread/207699

and manually selected the proper intel driver:

(instructions were to manually install Intel drivers before the AMD drivers)

Got this error message after trying to install it: (with my intel & amd driver info from device manager)

IntelDriverError.jpg

Now what?

0 Likes

I do have one issue in Action Center:

ActionCenterMessage.jpg

Before I tried any of the stuff listed above I got one message that the AMD driver wasn't working when I clicked the AMD icon in the tastbar, but the device manager says it's working?

AMDdriversNotWorking.jpg

0 Likes

Intel has a notice that if you get that message with the driver...install it from the Device Manager (use the 'have disk' method)

Between not being able to get Win 10 to completely install (quits at 78%) and newer display drivers installed, I'm about to give up and just sell this laptop... I've owned many laptops over the years and never had this much trouble.

0 Likes

kingfish wrote:

Intel has a notice that if you get that message with the driver...install it from the Device Manager (use the 'have disk' method)

I don't have disk. OS was transferred over from my HDD to the new SDD.

0 Likes

Sorry...I should have been more clear. "have disk" means this > https://www.eightforums.com/threads/driver-install-in-device-manager-in-windows-8.9695/

benchart wrote:

Cheers.

OK, per your advice, maybe the problems are solved now, but I need to use the program awhile that was shutting this laptop down, Adobe CS6. I have feeling it will work now that I've gotten Windows 10 installed with the current drivers. The reason I couldn't get past 78% while trying to install Win 10 before was I was doing it from upstairs via wireless connection. This time, I was downstairs into the ethernet port and turned off the firewall. Worked like a charm this time. Then the Samsung Update Software updated everything else for Windows 10.

Strange, the driver for intel is dated 8/17/15 while the AMD driver is dated 9/22/17. But much better than both dated 2013 before in Win 8.1

Here is the screenshot when I was done:

Win10info.jpg

I'm really glad it works for you, let's hope it continues this way.
It's a shame that you were forced to upgrade to keep the support up. But hey, at least if you have an updated OS and AMD's updated drivers.
Good luck.
Cheers

benchart wrote:

I'm really glad it works for you, let's hope it continues this way.
It's a shame that you were forced to upgrade to keep the support up. But hey, at least if you have an updated OS and AMD's updated drivers.
Good luck.
Cheers

Well, it worked out as I did want to upgrade to Win 10 before, but failed 3 times so I was trying to make Win 8.1 work.

I want to thank all of you here for trying to help me, it was greatly appreciated. I learned a few things. You can never quit learning in the Tech age.

BTW, I'm not exactly a newbie nor computer illiterate either as I bought my first laptop & desktop back in 1985 and still have it and it still works! I've owned at least 20 laptops since then along with a few desktops but prefer laptops. I've built a few and did repair until 2015 where I decided to stick with digital photography.

Here are a couple links to backup my claims:

http://www.1-4u-computer-graphics.com/

http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/Old_New_Computers.htm

0 Likes

So true, my brother used to be the know-it-all regarding PCs, altough after 5-7 years without having time for PCs and having a very occupied life.
He is now clueless to a point that any person can know more than him

As for you systems, I see you like birds and Rome

0 Likes

benchart wrote:

So true, my brother used to be the know-it-all regarding PCs, altough after 5-7 years without having time for PCs and having a very occupied life.
He is now clueless to a point that any person can know more than him

As for you systems, I see you like birds and Rome

Yep, went to Rome in 2013 and love birds, especially Bald Eagles and Hummingbirds. I'm a professional photographer and why I don't build or repair systems anymore unless it's for myself or family. Here is my photography website if you care to look:

http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/moskovita-photography.htm

0 Likes