cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

cperkins
Journeyman III

Resolution Issues Windows 10

As someone who has always purchased AMD products, I will probably be taking my money elsewhere. I am using an AMD Radeon R9 200/ HD 7900. It worked phenomenally before I left for Japan. I come back and my PC is  having all sorts of Issues. So I reinstall my OS. At first glance it fixed everything, however I missed something. For what ever reason, when I attempt to set my PC to 1920x1080 it said that "The custom resolution settings are not compatible with this display." Odd, because they sure were before I wiped and reinstalled. If I set it through the internal display, the OS itself will display 1920x1080. AMD provides a over-scan compensation feature that fixes that. Then I launch a game and find that a large portion of them are locked at 1360x768. Why? No reason. Worked once before but now it does not. I tried reinstalling once again with no luck. Then I tried reverting to older drivers. I even tried swapping over to another AMD card with no luck. I really have no idea what to do.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Please provide the essential INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION  with your question.

0 Likes

Based on what you said with setting the resolution it may not be AMD issue at all. Sounds like it may be the driver loaded for the monitor may be generic windows driver. Many drivers for monitors replace these and they have all the information that the video card drivers need for resolutions, timings and sleep functions. Before writing off the card drivers and AMD in general. Look up your monitor on it's manufacturers site, download the driver, install it, shut down, boot back up and see if that helps. It may take care of things. I have had this same issue before and this most definitely fixed it.

0 Likes

As suggested > INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

There is too much info missing to try and give a credible suggestion.

What OS?

What processor/APU?

0 Likes

You certainly are entitled to your opinion on what's enough information to try an help. But I will continue to try to help people if I think I can, regardless of how much information they give. My suggestion is hardly non-credible. It may not prove to be right, but I'd take the information that was given over many that do give specs and don't explain the problem well enough. How about we look for ways to help people? Not for ways to disqualify them from getting help because they didn't check all the boxes right. I've seen exactly what this person is describing many times and what I suggest has fixed it form me, many times. As always anyone else's mileage may vary, with any given advice. At a minimum the the advice given won't hurt and can only potentially help. Sorry to the OP if my suggestion doesn't help, and they are not wrong that better information can only better help. I just don't feel the need to penalize people who are already frustrated because they didn't follow the rules.

0 Likes

Great good advice not sure how that adds to or contradicts anything already said. He said he already reloaded the OS, I suggested he make sure he has the correct monitor driver. Windows rarely, and I reiterate RARELY gives the proper monitor driver. It almost always loads a generic. The may often work or may not work for refresh rates or resolutions and almost never work for sleep setting. So not sure why it's a problem for you that I suggest the guy make sure he has the the correct monitor driver loaded. Shouldn't it be the OP's decision if the help was good? Isn't that why they get to flag the best answer as correct? Wow.

0 Likes

Lets keep this on topic and avoid commenting on each others posts.

And, posting system requirements is not an optional component, rather it is required when posting here.

0 Likes

That's fine ray lets make sure then you reply to the guy that did that first. Also I will continue to help however I see fit. This person gave enough information in my opinion to do that. If you choose not to I respect that you don't have to. These are not AMD employee only forums. They are community forums. So unless you and Matt are going to solely be the ones to answer all questions, then people are going to answer in the way the feel best helps, hence COMMUNITY forums. I suggest if that is something you don't want or don't want to be a part of and your employer agrees with you that you have a locked AMD only forum where only AMD employees respond. Where 99% percent of all answers will look like:

Re: Resolution Issues Windows 10

ray_m

Please provide the essential INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION  with your question.

Who did that help? The guy gave the series of card and the OS, it was enough for me to try.

Ever heard the phrase "If your not part of the solution you're part of the problem?"

Also you say it is required. Not according to your own site. It's not in the rules and regulations. AMD Support Forums - Rules & Regulations & Terms of Membership

Where it is mentioned is the link of the following line copied and pasted from your site:

We also suggest taking a look at the Read this First document which provides useful tips on creating a good post and the essential information required for the community to help you.

Do you see that it says SUGGEST. That means we think you should but a suggestion is always optional, unless  you have some other definition of the word.

People are playing by the rules and getting no help for it. If you want it a certain way and AMD does too then make it that way.

You guys must not get out much and see all the other forums that just rip you guys apart for the horrid support AMD gives. I'm not ripping on you guys. I'm supporting you, trying to help.

0 Likes

To clarify > you reinstalled your OS. If it Win10..that's important. If it's Win7 or Win8.1..then it opens way more potential issues. AMD graphics will not perform unless the OS (Win7-8) is fully updated.

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

0 Likes