cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

supervargen
Challenger

Why do we have to use DDU AMD?

For those of you that do not know what DDU are, read here: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.8.2

Many times we users of AMD graphics cards gets the advise to use DDU to remove old drivers.
We get this advise from people working for AMD.

I have to say that i am somewhat perplexed over this.

The drivers we use have an uninstaller. But somehow it's not good enough. Why is that AMD?
AMD have had years and years to learn how to code software for their hardware, why is this such a mountain to climb?

AMD please explain this, i just don't get it.

It's simple code for Pete's sake.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Starting with Crimson AMD has a Clean Install option, which integrates a Crimson and later compatible version of the AMD Cleanup Tool, which is perfectly fine for the majority of cases, but DDU runs in safe mode, and it doesn't touch the chipset drivers, and is also very techilliterate friendly, plus it has the option to clean and shut down, which is what you need when changing graphics cards.

As for why AMD doesn't make their own friendly version of DDU? It's because they don't need to reinvent the wheel, same reason they don't need to create a GPU detailer (as there's GPUz) or a CPU detailer (as there's CPUz).

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Starting with Crimson AMD has a Clean Install option, which integrates a Crimson and later compatible version of the AMD Cleanup Tool, which is perfectly fine for the majority of cases, but DDU runs in safe mode, and it doesn't touch the chipset drivers, and is also very techilliterate friendly, plus it has the option to clean and shut down, which is what you need when changing graphics cards.

As for why AMD doesn't make their own friendly version of DDU? It's because they don't need to reinvent the wheel, same reason they don't need to create a GPU detailer (as there's GPUz) or a CPU detailer (as there's CPUz).

I think you miss the point. Why do we have to resort to a program not made by AMD? Why do people have to google and ask in forum for help when the driver it self should be able to do the job? Are AMD not capable of programming the same functions DDU have?

It's called user friendly. It's called professionalism. This is not it.

Annie, if you have a bug to report with our installer please let us know so the thread can remain open.

0 Likes

Absolutely true, great explanation. I would add that DDU is not an AMD only tool either. Nvidia users also use DDU. For all the same reasons. It's not uncommon that uninstallers leave things behind either. Sometimes being too aggressive in removal and in resetting defaults can be bad too! The simple fact is that defaults change. Your OS could have been updated and if the uninstall sets things back to the way it found it, it could cause an issue. Most uninstallers probably could do better, but they choose caution over completeness. Most people that run DDU understand they are using an aggressive, brute force method, therefore accept the consequences. No one way of doing things ever really works 100% of the time, in all cases. Even DDU leave registry orphans behind, so I run ccleaner to clean up the registry afterwords. It's always good to have options!  AMD just needs to concentrate on function and stability over new features. Their card partners need to start getting bios updates out that fix their power issues.

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback.

Miles S answered the question perfectly. DDU is optional, you don't have to use it and it is not required.

We mention it in some of our troubleshooting documentation as one method to uninstall our drivers.

Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems

• Driver cleaning software, such as the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility or Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), can completely remove existing or damaged driver files and registry entries, thereby allowing a successful installation of the latest AMD driver software package.
    • For instructions on how to use the AMD Clean Uninstall Tool, please visit this link.
    • DDU can be download here.

Note!  DDU is a third party application. Please refer to the program documentation for more information, it is to be used at your own risk.

0 Likes

And just for clarification, that utility is installed along with every driver version since Crimson to work with the Clean Install option, but like I said before it also fiddles with the chipset drivers as well, which can cause things such as a BSOD boot loop in Windows 7 if it is used alone and AHCI or RAID drivers not reinstalled before the reboot.

0 Likes

This is an excellent point, I first used DDU under Win 7 because uninstalling through the driver uninstall was a nightmare. This is however a non issue under Windows 10.

0 Likes
benchart
Adept III

For now, I only clean install when reverting drivers, or in case I find a either problem with some driver and before reporting I proceed to a clean install with DDU just to make sure if that problem continues or not.

I wanted to support what you said. For instance last night I did exactly that just upgraded my drivers with express install. I have over the last couple years found exceptions to that rule. As you already mentioned reverting it is critical to do this. Most recently though I found it really made a difference when going to the 18.1.1 driver. Until I did a clean install moving forward that driver still had issues. So my advice would be sure try the easy upgrade, but don't write the driver off if you have issues until you then try to uninstall it and maybe use DDU in safe mode too. I love it when the express upgrade works though. Guess I'm kinda lazy.

0 Likes

For me it have been working pretty much 99.9% of the times, the problem is, sometimes I find bugs related to the drivers, like more recently with Relive, and usually I re-install them after cleaning them up just to make sure.
But yes, I think people are over-cautious in always performing clean installs all the time.

0 Likes
locodicegr
Miniboss

You DONT have to use it, if you dont have problems, its an optional 3rd party program.

No one is forcing you to use it.