cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

New Bill Mandates Replaceable Batteries in Consumer Electronics....Thank you Apple

"For the past four or five years, discussions around the so-called “right to repair” have followed a predictable cadence. iFixit or a thematically similar site will call for the passage of state or federal bill that would enshrine a consumer’s right to repair their own electronics. Said proposal is briefly discussed, iFixit releases a new round of reports showing how top-end gear from various companies remains difficult to repair (exactly how difficult varies by brand, manufacturer, and model year), everyone clucks their tongue and wishes US consumers bought hardware for reasons other than thinness, and then the entire cycle resets. Consumers continue buying the aforementioned devices and not much changes."

Washington State is hoping things are different this time around. Its new right-to-repair bill goes much further than most and outright bans the sale of electronics not designed to be easily user-repairable. Jeff Morris, the representative who introduced the bill, notes that it was written before Apple’s battery fiasco came to light (in separate news, Apple is now facing an SEC and DOJ investigation into its disclosure practices around its battery issues). “It was introduced before [the throttling] news broke, but that’s become something constituents and legislators have sunk their teeth into,” Morris told Motherboard. “They can say ‘this is what we’re talking about’ and point to this as the type of thing that is accelerating the demise of their technology so they have to buy the next model.”

Incidentally, this was always one of the more ironic risks of Apple’s bad battery decision-making. For years, there were rumors Apple made older devices run more poorly on purpose, to push users into upgrading. By creating its throttling program, Apple ironically put truth to years of rumors. Now its battery throttling program could be used to kickstart the type of laws the company has historically opposed.

New Bill Mandates Replaceable Batteries in Consumer Electronics - ExtremeTech

0 Likes
6 Replies

Surprised the liberal nutjobs in California didn't propose this bill, considering they were the ones who just proposed a bill to fine businesses $1,000 if they gave a plastic drinking straw to a customer without asking.

0 Likes

Well I guess I'm just too old school...I have a Asus Memo Pad that I use as my reader (Kindle), had it for a few years. About a year ago I contacted Asus about a new battery for it. That's when I found out "The batteries are not meant to be replaced".

0 Likes

Same with my Surface Pro 3, it's -very- difficult to replace it yourself since you have to remove the screen and digitizer, and costs $200 to replace even if you have the problem like I have with "batterygate".

A downside though if this right-to-repair bill were to become law, look how many more things would get cheap Chinese made batteries which would turn into time bombs, much like hoverboards, while OEM batteries would no doubt be half as expensive as a brand new phone anyway.

0 Likes

black_zion wrote:

Surprised the liberal nutjobs in California didn't propose this bill, considering they were the ones who just proposed a bill to fine businesses $1,000 if they gave a plastic drinking straw to a customer without asking.

Hardly surprising... Californians / Far Left individuals will loudly bang the drum of Virtue Signalling, right up to the point until it affects someone or something they know.

How many iPhone / iPad / Apple Users do you know visit Wendys or McDonalds?

Not many... but Starbucks, is damn near a Temple for them. Yet the Travel Lids for their Cups uses 4x the Plastic than Drinking Straws AND aren't made out of Biodegradable / Synthetic Plastic as Drinking Straws actually must be nowadays due to Health Regulations.

Heck, most will harp on about how they're all for "Fair Wages for All" ... yet constantly advocate for nonsense that harms Working Class Wages, and give zero though to the fact that their overpriced Apple Product was produced by Underpaid, Overworked Asians whom have become so suicidal with the working conditions that said Production Factories have Fences on the Roofs to prevent them from jumping off of them on a regular basis.

Apple, a literal Trillion Dollar company is perhaps in one of the best positions to resolve this... by increasing Wages and driving Employment Competition towards themselves., which would force a competitive "Fair Wage" environment to ensue as other companies will seek to stave off Apple Monopolising the Production Facilities and Best Workers.

Except, Apple aren't doing diddly squat towards such end.

And we're not talking the same scenario as Microsoft who outsources production to Chinese Companies that bid for said contracts., Apple actually OWN the damn Production Facilities they have over there.

You'll see this behaviour a lot from the Easily Offended Lobbyists... the reality is they don't actually give a damn beyond their own egocentrism, even then they only care what people think within their own circles in terms of their virtuous visage. They wouldn't care what we think, only their friends; who also are content to have the exact same blind spots when it comes to monstrous behaviour.

I mean why do you think those who complain about Diversity / Racism., are typically those who are Stereotypical Racists themselves. It's because they assume the entire world views and thinks the same way they do because all of their friends do. Yet given they only make friends with people who agree and support them, well that's hardly bloody surprising.

Now that there is looking to finally be some regulation on Anti-Consumer Business Practises is actually a good thing, at least when it comes to the US.

We already have that here in the UK, which is why a lot of IHV actually don't do R&D here in the British Isles anymore. Any products can be sold here, but if you design deliberate flaws and weakness' that are Anti-Consumer then your company becomes liable... I'd probably be in favour of an expansion to the Anti-Consumer regulations inline with the "Right to Self-Repair"., as said products once sold ARE the property of the Consumer not Producer. Warranties were introduced (as an Anti-Consumer Protection) to essentially hold Companies accountable to a minimum lifespan.

Still such things aren't just about the Consumer being able to have their product Repaired but actually what Apple are doing is outright destroying the 3rd Party Repair and Refurbishment Industry... especially given their monopolisation of particular sectors. If anything it could be argued that legislation of this nature isn't just for Anti-Consumer but Anti-Trust aspects as well.

0 Likes

I'm not sure why it would categorize me as a liberal or any political leaning because I think a product should be serviceable? Anyway, I digress, I think as a user that I should decide, me the guy that bought the product, when it becomes obsolete for me. This is an area that Apple has tested the waters for years and now has dove full in. They want you to constantly pay to play in their ecosystem. They are now taking away the life rafts that left cheapskates like me options to do otherwise. Other manufacturers see that they have gotten away with this, so sure they are doing it too! To me it only makes good common sense that if you are still happy with a product that you should still be able to use it and that the company who made it should not introduce variables that make it less capable than on the day it was purchased. If I want to run an old computer/phone that's my business, seems more a libertarian viewpoint to me. I am all for the government staying out of my life in general, amen even, but when it come to protecting consumers who will? Trust the good moral hearts of CEO's and Boardrooms? Yah, right, keep dreamin'. By the way Kingfish the reply was not aimed at you just general comments. I didn't feel like you were doing any of those things I commented on. Just drives you nuts in this day and age that everyone has to be labeled a far right or left anything because they did something, somebody else disagrees with. I still think the vast majority of us agree on way more than we disagree. I for one agree with any legislation that makes a manufacturer support their product.

0 Likes

The truth is, until the manufacturer is forced to label the product as non-servicable they won't do diddly. Nowhere in my owners manual does it say the battery is non-replaceable.Once they have to start prominently ​displaying that notice, one of them will offer a similar product that has a replaceable battery...and all the sheep shall run to them.

0 Likes