cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

guira
Journeyman III

Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5470 drivers.

Hi to all, I don't know if I can speak in spanish on this forum, but anyway, I will continue

I have a problem with my graphics card of my laptop, it's an ati mobility radeon hd 5470, and on this days I had some problems with the drivers.

I don't know why when I sometimes see some videos in YouTube for example, it just freezes, but if I wait like 2 minutes it comes back.

And sometimes Windows (Win 7 64 Bit) says to me somethink like: Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

So I decided to try to download the latest drivers from the web of AMD, but it says somethink that they don't support more that card driver, so I don't know what can I do now.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5740G, and Acer has drivers for the laptop, but even if I install the driver that support acer it's still having the problem of the driver.

I'm sure that the problem that has my laptop is the driver of the video card.

So please I need help. What do you think I should do ?

Sorry for my English if you don't understand somethink.

Thank you.

0 Likes
9 Replies

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Hi, thank you so much for your answer, but my computer is up to date of updates.

One of my friends told me to use this tool for Windows: Driver Booster.

So I decided to install it on my computer, and he tell to me that the driver that I have installed (the driver of Acer I have actually) is 9 years old (11/11/2009).

And Driver Booster says that the controller is up to date, but I don't know how, Driver Booster somehow installed a driver called "AMD Ati Mobility Radeon 5000 series" and it worked perfectly in the computer.

But some people told to me that is more better to use the driver of the manufacturer.

What do you think I should do now ?

0 Likes

I have had similar experiences in the past with driver booster....got a driver installed that was giving me problems. If the driver is working, leave it alone. There will be no new updates for that card, so ignore any notices of 'new' drivers available.

0 Likes

Remove old driver then use Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to uninstall remains then install vcredist 2005 sp1 x64 + catalyst 15.7.1 for this card, it works almost stable on windows 7, maybe except bad 3d performance and sleep mode random bsod's, just turn off hybernate and sleep mode. You tube can be problem for amd cards, for new and old one... Maybe your card can't handle hardware acceleration on some specific modern youtube codecs.
One of my friends told me to use this tool for Windows: Driver Booster.
Don't! You dont need any of this tools, optimization performance tools, driver boost - what?! All this is bloatware/virus software. Maximum you need in your situation aida/gpu-z for information, DDU for uninstall in proper way and driver from amd official page!
And sometimes Windows (Win 7 64 Bit) says to me somethink like: Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

check if your bios have in settings HPET option, High Precision timer - enable it.

0 Likes

Hi daggerfall, I did what you told me, but it doesn't worked, I installed vc_redist (x64), and catalyst 15.7.1, but my laptop only installed the driver VGA standard, and then it crashed with somethink like: "Trying to change driver error" or somethink like that, but in a bluescreen, but anyway, thank you so much.

But well, I think I will leave it with the driver that gives me Driver Booster, because it works more better than the other, because I have a little brother that sometimes plays Minecraft on my laptop, and one day he told me that the game doesn't it worked, and when I tried to see what was happening, I saw that the drivers of this laptop was old or somethink, but I don't know why with the Driver AMD Mobility Radeon 5000 series, the game works, but with the driver that gives me at least Acer in his official page, the game doesn't work.

I don't know if other games won't work on the laptop.

But well, I have two ways, leave the driver of Acer and can't play some games and see videos on YouTube but at least I have the last driver of the manufacter, or, have the driver of Driver Booster that works on Youtube and at least the game of minecraft, but I can't have full control of the driver, because Ati Catalyst Control Center doesn't work on that driver, it doesn't open but with the driver of Acer yes (Maybe it works, but I think I will have to change somethink on the directory C:\Windows\assembly).

So, wich way do you think I should go ?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Sad to hear that, seems your manufactor used specific bios for video card, very bad...My wife's laptop have same video card, but it's from lenovo, that card works good with 15.7.1. Some manufactors love to chain users to their drivers without ability to upgrade, like sony, acer, don't buy it.

0 Likes

Ah, well, so what do you think I should do ?

0 Likes

Google, As I said it must be custom acer ID for your video card, that's why you cant install normal amd driver.
See last message on page, seems same problem...Also check first page, maybe you need to upgrade bios and vbios for install at least 14.4 version.
same
maybe some modded driver exist on resources like hardware heaven or guru3d

Try 14.4​ as you can see your card supported, I easily installing it in past on wife's lenovo laptop with 5470 radeon
download

0 Likes

Don't worry, I fixed at least, finally and somehow I could install AMD Catalyst 15.7.1, and I discovered new thinks.

The driver of AMD Mobility Radeon 5000 Series wasn't from Driver Booster, it was from AMD catalyst, and now I can take full control of the driver.

I don't know why before doesn't worked, but well, it's resolved.

Thank you so much and all the persons who tried to help.

0 Likes