cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

davidemonte
Journeyman III

Black screen after driver install and pc restarts with BSOD TDR Failure - R9 290

Hi everbody. It's my first post here, and the first problem with AMD too (lol). I have a problem with video card. I have an AMD RADEON R9 290, from about 4 years, it always worked perfectly. from about a week, my pc after chargin windows logo, turns black. I didn't installed driver or something. the last evening worked perfectly as always, the day after black screen. So, I've reinstalled windows 10 (64 bit), a fresh install and when I update drivers (with windows update or amd autodetect software, same problem) , during the install (Installing graphic components) my screen turns black and the pc restart automatically. I can't explain how it's possible. I've tried this for 3 days (always, reinstall SO, reinstall drivers, crash, format, reinstall SO, reinstall drivers, crash, format...). Sometimes (but not always) when my pc crash, I have a blue screen of death with (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE atikmpag.sys) BUT NOT ALWAYS. I can get to Safe mode, and when I uninstall driver in the safe mode then turn back to normal mode my pc works perfectly. when I install the driver I get black screen. I don't how it's possibile. Only happening to me? LOL. I did all the system checkup or problem scan, no results. it work's perfectly. the problem is the driver video. how can I solve? thank you everybody.

P.S. Sorry for bad English, I'm Italian ...

Message was edited by: Matt B

We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue.

0 Likes
25 Replies
davidemonte
Journeyman III

i need help guys... i have AsRock 970 PRO R2 (MoBo) and AMD Fx-8350 (processor)... im the only one with this problem?

0 Likes

Did you use any 3rd party GPU controlling software like MSI Afterburner or similar to control the fans or power on your GPU card?

You need to manually download the FULL set of AMD Driver from here: Download Drivers​  Input your GPU data on the RIGHT side Menu. It will show you the newest AMD Driver for your GPU Card.

Follow these instructions to install the new AMD Driver full set:

Installation of AMD drivers

install AMD driver :

1) Download the correct AMD Full Set of drivers from AMD Support. Make sure your Windows is fully updated via Windows Update.

2) Use Windows Uninstall to uninstall current AMD driver and software. Then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode to eliminate all traces of the current AMD driver and software from your computer. Delete C:\AMD folder from the Root Directory. Reboot.

3) Go to Device Manager and click on "Display Adapter" and make sure you are on the MS Basic Display Adapter. If not, uninstall the AMD driver using Properties.

4) Try reinstalling the AMD FULL SET OF DRIVERS that you manually downloaded. Make sure to disable the Internet to prevent Windows Update from installing a newer version. Also configure Windows to prevent it from updating Drivers via Windows Update. Also it has been mentioned to disable any Anti-virus programs before installation of AMD Drivers.

5) If the new AMD drivers installs and works correctly, delete again the C:\AMD folder from the Root directory.

6)Enable both the internet and Anti-Virus program (if applicable).

7) Go back to Device Manager and check to be sure your GPU card driver is working and identified correctly.

0 Likes

Hi, really thank you for your time. But im having the same problem. I did exatcly what you writed, but still not working. During install the video driver, my screen turns black. I can uplod a video of the process on youtube if you want. Not working... i checked my gpu and she works perfectly, even when i install driver.

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Can you post your computer Specs please. Such as Make & Model of PSU, CPU/APU, Motherboard and current version of Windows you are running.

Try installing a previous AMD driver (Full set) and see if that works correctly.

Also check to see if any computer components (GPU or CPU) are overheating. Might be a good idea uploading a video of the installation process and when it crashes. Might be useful.

So basically your GPU is crashing during installation. Again please post your computer specifications as noted above.

0 Likes

Motherboard: Asrock 970 Pro R2

Cpu: AMD FX-8350

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290

PSU: Itek 800w modular l

Ram: 2x Corsair 8Gb

Windows 10 64 bit

Now im reinstalling SO for the 50th time LoL

2 Days ago i tried older driver, same problem. I’ve installed windows 7 too (some days ago) same problem here too.

The pc is liquid cooled, i don’t think i have overheating problems.

I will upload a video soon!!

0 Likes

Editing vbios usually helps. I fixed a similar issue for many r9 290 cards by setting manual voltages for all DPM states. Downclocking vram also can help.

0 Likes

Thank you for your help! Can u tell me what setting i should  use for do this?

0 Likes

Is your card based on reference PCB?

Well, it can take a much time if you don't know what to do =)

You can find "hawaii bios editing" thread on overclock.net to read more about bios editing.

You need to extract vbios copy, modify voltage values for each DPM state using hawaiibiosreader and then flash it via atiflash(from the DOS) or atiwinflash.

I only know what voltage values to use for cards with reference PCB.

0 Likes

Again, really thank you for your help. I will try this for last. I dont know how to do that, and i can’t understand how an overclock fix driver problem.

0 Likes

it's not overclocking. Just using manual voltages instead of EVV values.

0 Likes
davidemonte
Journeyman III

https://mega.nz/#!l1IimBrI

THIS IS A MEGA LINK TO MY VIDEO

!__mozx6rcyM6QwBqqOUpCpX0C7j0yzTahZORXNA8i-c

THIS IS THE KEY FOR THE VIDEO

0 Likes
davidemonte
Journeyman III

Please someone have a solution?

0 Likes

I don't know any other solution except bios modding, guess it's the only one way to fix this. If your card based on reference PCB i can modify your vbios, 99% chance it will work and will fix the black screen crashes =)

0 Likes

Ok i will follow you. I have a reference video card. What should i do now?

0 Likes

the most simple way is:

you need to download atiflash 2.77 from techpowerup.com and save your vbios to a file, then upload the copy here, i'll modify it and you will flash modded vbios via atiflash under windows when video driver not installed.

//Any reference r9 290 card has a dual bios switch on the board, if something go wrong you can switch to second vbios.

0 Likes

OK I HAVE SAVED VBIOS

https://mega.nz/#!UpB1xB5T <--- DOWNLOAD

!4PI0RfP0m5TsRZgmNle7o6bNQQv_qKTNJQIagN0RYlc <-- KEY

0 Likes

Now use atiflash -> "load image" -> "program" -> wait a couple minutes.

0 Likes

I did what you tell. Now i have the same problem without driver. When i open windows i get black screen. I cant go in safe mode too. I get blue screen “video tdr failure atikmpag.sys” in normal mode and safe mode too. I tried to switch to second bios but the graphic card don’t work, i cant see asrock logo in the start with second bios. I have no idea what’s happening

0 Likes

I guess it's a hardware issue with you graphic card then and software methods will not help.

You still can do this:

1. you need to create a DOS bootable USB stick (google how)

2. extract and copy attached file(atiflash.exe) to usb stick root directory, also copy your original vbios (bios.rom file that you uploaded)

3. in motherboard's bios choose boot device usb stick 1st.

4. boot up from USB stick into DOS and type "atiflash -p 0 bios.rom -f".

Reboot. This will recover your original vbios.

0 Likes

Sorry for the time Lol. I resetr vbios... what should i do now?

0 Likes

Copy this vbios to usb stick.

1. boot up from usb stick again.

2. change a vbios switch position on your card. (yes, while PC is working. By doing this you will flash a new vbios instead of the second one, which seems is not working if you can't even see the asrock logo).

3. type "atiflash -p 0 v3.rom -f"

Reboot.

if this won't help too, test your card in another PC.

But it looks like some gpu or vram powering issues related to a hardware issue with your card. I think it's time to buy a new graphic card.

0 Likes

I did it now the pc is running in normal mode with the 2nd vbios. Should i try to install amd driver Now?

0 Likes

Sure. Install the driver. Even if the driver installed successfully it still could be unstable under gpu load, run some benchmarks like unigine superposition, 3d mark or any ingame benchmarks.

Same... during install, black screen, the restart with blue screen “video_tdr_failure atikmpag.sys” ... new gpu?

0 Likes

I guess so. But you still can test your graphic card on another PC just to make sure.

0 Likes