cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

philmar
Journeyman III

Every time I boot my system I get a Windows error "radeonSettings.exe - application error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)"

I am a photographer not a computer whiz. I use Lightroom/photoshop for photography. Every time I boot my system I get a Windows error popup:

"radeonSettings.exe - application error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)"

I run W10 and have a Radeon RX 460 with up to date driver v.18.1.1

ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Thunderbolt, 32 GB RAM with a i7-3770K OC to 4.18 GHz using mobo BIOS settings.

I am unable to launch "AMD Problem Report Wizard" from the W10 Start Menu or from the AMD Radeon Settings (which does launch)

Also, when I run SandraLite it states for my GPU: "Video BIOS (firmware) update available. To update, visit the manufacturer's website."

My GPU has a BIOS that I can update?

0 Likes
3 Replies
philmar
Journeyman III

• AMD Graphics Card = AMD RX 460
  • Desktop System
  • Operating System = Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed = v.18.1.1
  • Display Device:   BenQ SW2700
  • Motherboard : Asus P8Z77 Pro Thunderbolt
  • CPU/APU: i7 3770K
  • RAM - 32 GB
0 Likes

Should this be in a different forum?

0 Likes
ceratx18
Journeyman III

Hi,  I had the same error message for months, and found this post via google.

See also: https://community.amd.com/thread/222989

So here is what helped me:

In Dec 2017 I updated my Windows 10 to the Fall Creators Update and the latest AMD drivers for my R9 380.

After that I always got the same error message after each PC reboot: "RadeonSettings.exe - Application Error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)."

It did not seem to have any negative effects (my Radeon Settings worked just fine), but I could not get rid of this error message even with a DDU driver uninstall and then installing all the latest AMD drivers (17.12, 18.1, 18.2.1, 18.2.2 ...) again and again.

Today I stumbled over a reddit post with the solution for my problem: I had to disable the  "use my sign-in info" option (Windows Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device..."), which was apparently introduced in the Win 10 Fall Creators Update. After disabling that option, the strange error message after reboots finally disappeared for me.

0 Likes